Potential replacement coaches

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not touting Alford, but he did win 21 or more games 5 of 6 years at UCLA before the partial season he was fired. He won 31 one year and 28 another. Granted the PAC 12 is weaker, but we’d be thrilled if Archie had a similar record. He was 7-6 the year he was fired, after making the NCAAT the prior year. Most coaches would have been given more time to right the ship that season. That tells me they just didn’t like the guy. 

What happened at Iowa then? Oh, "they just didn't like" him either. 

He was given 6 years at UCLA in the weakest conference in basketball, and got fired.

Why is he at Nevada? Why didn't another P5 program pick him up? Crean got Georgia, why didn't Steve get a P5 gig?

Cronin at UCLA:

2019–20    UCLA    19–12               12–6    2nd    
2020–21    UCLA    16–5                 12–3        
                                35–17 (.673)    24–9 (.727)    

You think they made the right move?

Edited by JugRox
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JugRox said:

It can get much, much, much worse. Alford has done nothing at the P5 level. Was fired both times, Iowa and UCLA. If a coach can't win in the PAC at UCLA, how is he going to win the the B10?

You think we are getting taken advantage of now, just wait if Alford gets a chance.

Part of me wants Alford to get his chance, fail miserably, so that part of the fanbase can move on from "NEED A IU GUY!!!!!".....

Because magic pixie basketball dust is going to happen because Alford was a former player. The guy is a great mid major coach, leave him be.

I’m not advocating for Alford but I just looked up what he did at UCLA and he actually did better than I thought.  In 5.5 years, he went to 3 Sweet 16’s. Went to the NCAA tournament 4 of 5 years. Finished lower than 4th only 1 time, which was year 3. Followed it up by finishing 3rd the in years 4 and 5. Winning 31 games in year 4 and 21 in year 5. Won the conference tournament one time. Won 66% of his games and 61% in conference. To me that pretty consistent and worthy of an interview. The Iowa situation is why he hasn’t gotten a chance at IU IMO. Did he learn from it? Grow from it? All questions to ask in an interview. 

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

He was given 6 years at UCLA in the weakest conference in basketball, and got fired.

Why is he at Nevada? Why didn't another P5 program pick him up? Crean got Georgia, why didn't Steve get a P5 gig?

Again, not touting Alford, but technically he wasn’t fired from Iowa. He landed the NM gig first, but clearly the writing was on the wall. But beyond the record, he was despised by Iowans. I moved to IA after he left and couldn’t believe the vitriol. It’s hard to get Iowans to dislike you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Good question.  Sometimes it's all about fit. That's why I am on a message board and not the AD. 

5 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m not advocating for Alford but I just looked up what he did at UCLA and he actually did better than I thought.  In 5.5 years, he went to 3 Sweet 16’s. Went to the NCAA tournament 4 of 5 years. Finished lower than 4th only 1 time, which was year 3. Followed it up by finishing 3rd the in years 4 and 5. Winning 31 games in year 4 and 21 in year 5. Won the conference tournament one time. Won 66% of his games and 61% in conference. To me that pretty consistent and worthy of an interview. The Iowa situation is why he hasn’t gotten a chance at IU IMO. Did he learn from it? Grow from it? All questions to ask in an interview. 

Cronin at UCLA:

Edited by JugRox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not touting Alford, but he did win 21 or more games 5 of 6 years at UCLA before the partial season he was fired. He won 31 one year and 28 another. Granted the PAC 12 is weaker, but we’d be thrilled if Archie had a similar record. He was 7-6 the year he was fired, after making the NCAAT the prior year. Most coaches would have been given more time to right the ship that season. That tells me they just didn’t like the guy. 

It may not get worse in the short term, but if/when he ultimately proves not to be the guy we will enter, yet, another coaching search.

CAM was the hire we had to get right to prevent a slide into mediocrity. If CAM gets fired the next coach is one the we really, REALLY have to get right. Every new coaching search we go through pushes us deeper into they abyss with less of a chance to make it back to the surface. 

I just have a feeling that if Alford is the choice, nobody will be happy 4 years from now. There's a reason he can't stay at a big program. 

My bigger concern is: I don't know if that 'right guy' is out there right now. And if he is, I don't have much confidence we'll get him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I wouldn’t be jumping for joy over hiring Alford either, but this is 10x better than Archie’s resume at Dayton.  There’s no way he’s worse than Archie... Maybe not much of an upgrade, but definitely not a downgrade either.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

At least with Crean guys would move and cut. It was just a lot of out of control dribble drive too and guys got out of control and took bad shots. With Archie it's guys not knowing what to do when their set breaks down because they don't have any kind of base offense to allow guys to make plays. It needs to be a balance of both but that's not what Archie is doing. 

Agree.   Then they often shoot from awkward positions or flat footed.  

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

The problem with the players is they don't know what to do if they aren't running a set that Archie calls out. He's turned them into robots and that's why they seem to question things mid play especially if the defense is guarding the play different then they are expecting. This team doesn't know how to actually play basketball. They stand and watch the ball once a play breaks down which is usually when the ball gets thrown inside to Trayce and he takes a contested shot while everyone else stands and watches. 

Ansolutely agree.    

11 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Cronin at UCLA:

Iowa hated his arrogance.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ephul said:

The negative recruiting thing is blown way out of proportion in my opinion. Hall of famers, former players, etc have come out and said Belein was treated unfairly and what he said was blown up in order to get him out.

I dont think he'd have a problem getting his guys.

As far as not wanting to get into coaching, that could be. But he'd be on top of my list.

What former players of his came out in his defense?  

I know Barkley and kenny Smith etc took up for him but how often does Barkley and Shaq bust on the young guys egos?  

Not one former or current player of Beilien came to his defense to my knowledge.  I have looked and could not find.  

4 minutes ago, John S said:

Iowa hated his arrogance.   

Iowa hated the fact that he was an IU legend and would have left them in the dust the minute IU called at that time...That was the feeling from day 1 with Steve. And at the time I had a really good insider for Iowa athletic programs that told me that from day 1...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Just now, Hippopotamo said:

This is my last thing about Alford and then I won’t comment anymore about it. But if IU hires him I’d have to seriously reconsider my fandom for IU basketball. What he did at Iowa is unacceptable in my eyes. I can put up with gray area cheating to some extent, but not that. 

No comment on what Archie did at Dayton?  (And if you’re unfamiliar with what I’m referring to, take a look at his rosters, then google Matt Kavanaugh and Dyshawn Pierre.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JugRox said:

He sure has got a lot of Indiana recruits over the last 10 years....

:)

He was a finalist for several. In the end they didn't want to go that far from home in most of the cases. He did land Wilkes and he's got a freshman this year. How would you know about what people in Indiana under 30 think of Alford anyway? Do you coach or anything in the state or work in sports?

2 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

This is my last thing about Alford and then I won’t comment anymore about it. But if IU hires him I’d have to seriously reconsider my fandom for IU basketball. What he did at Iowa is unacceptable in my eyes. I can put up with gray area cheating to some extent, but not that. 

I am glad that you have never made a mistake that was in the public eye. I am not saying Alford should be hired but most people have done things that they regret highly and I fir one believe if forgiveness and multiple chances at redemption.  I am not perfect and without forgiveness not sure where I would be

36 minutes ago, JugRox said:

It can get much, much, much worse. Alford has done nothing at the P5 level. Was fired both times, Iowa and UCLA. If a coach can't win in the PAC at UCLA, how is he going to win the the B10?

You think we are getting taken advantage of now, just wait if Alford gets a chance.

Part of me wants Alford to get his chance, fail miserably, so that part of the fanbase can move on from "NEED A IU GUY!!!!!".....

Because magic pixie basketball dust is going to happen because Alford was a former player. The guy is a great mid major coach, leave him be.

We need someone in here who understands the culture but more importantly knows the fan base

25 minutes ago, JugRox said:

How? You think its hard to get rid of Miller, good luck having an IU AD fire Steve Alford as the IU basketball coach.

Alford would be here forever, win or lose. It would be the final nail. 

Alford has shown pretty clearly what he is capable of.

So has Archie.  

• Haha 1