Potential replacement coaches

Here is an interesting angle. Say Dolson has already offered and was accepted by and IU guy. Dolson in now letting everyone think we are getting turned down by all of the other big names out there and says nobody else wanted it so we hired a guy that wants to be Indiana and who was Indiana basketball. We will show the country Indiana basketball is back. Could this explain why there is no real leaks, because there are none and never was? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Here is an interesting angle. Say Dolson has already offered and was accepted by and IU guy. Dolson in now letting everyone think we are getting turned down by all of the other big names out there and says nobody else wanted it so we hired a guy that wants to be Indiana and who was Indiana basketball. We will show the country Indiana basketball is back. Could this explain why there is no real leaks, because there are none and never was? 

It’s very possible!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Why would the coach let half the team into the transfer portal? If it was an IU guy, they would have been named coach days ago.

Its pretty simple, the target is a coach still in the tournament. 

Edited by JugRox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Why would the coach let half the team into the transfer portal? If it was an IU guy, they would have been named coach days ago.

First off there is no one letting players enter the portal. They the players can do whatever they want this year and maybe they know it's not a good marriage? 

13 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Anything is possible, I suppose.  The only thing about that strategy is making it look like the guy you did hire was bottom of the barrel - even though part of the fan base would feel that way anyway.

2 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Its pretty simple, the target is a coach still in the tournament. 

That's what it looks like.  Either in tournament or NBA.  Or, both from the Head/Associated angle.  

Indiana is a huge job, and if you don't succeed, heck, if you put minimum effort in the little things and part ways, you still get 10 million dollars.  Think about that - there is something that is probably done or close be being done.

That's why I want an IU guy (Woodson, Fife, Lewis, Smart, Frank) I want someone who clearly unreliable wants IU to do well and who show the energy and enthusiasm in what ever they do.  And, they can coach.  

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

That's what it looks like.  Either in tournament or NBA.  Or, both from the Head/Associated angle.  

Indiana is a huge job, and if you don't succeed, heck, if you put minimum effort in the little things and part ways, you still get 10 million dollars.  Think about that - there is something that is probably done or close be being done.

That's why I want an IU guy (Woodson, Fife, Lewis, Smart, Frank) I want someone who clearly unreliable wants IU to do well and who show the energy and enthusiasm in what ever they do.  And, they can coach.  

If I had to guess, the deal is pretty much done and they are waiting for the coach to become available.

As soon as the players find out, it will be leaked....

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

If I had to guess, the deal is pretty much done and they are waiting for the coach to become available.

As soon as the players find out, it will be leaked....

Probably- what doesn't make sense are the other interviews.  Unless they are for other roles within the organization.  Like Calbert.  Why even leak that out?  What good does it do.  The IU fraternity does not leak out info.  For the most part, they don't even do it to their own siblings.  That was back in the day, and I'm not sure what today is like.  But, Calbert is one - he doesn't need leaks.  Unless, not true, but it looks like that was accurate.  

45 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I am not 100% sold on the Alford part of that equation, but I could definitely buy into the idea of Lewis heading up a young and hungry staff, especially if you could convince a Wittman or a Woodson to be on the staff as a mentor...I honestly feel like you could fill out a staff with IU guys that could really recruit and develop players and would have a really strong background in Xs and Os...

Pull from a list of Cheaney, Moye, Fife, Guyton, Woodson, Wittman to get your lead assistants all the way through DOBO and put Lewis at the helm, and I could be sold on it...

I am sure that it would be a hard sell to get those guys as assistants, but they would fight like mad and would have 100 years experience between them...

But why would you want a young, first time coach bringing in a bunch of guys with little to no college coaching experience?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Probably- what doesn't make sense are the other interviews.  Unless they are for other roles within the organization.  Like Calbert.  Why even leak that out?  What good does it do.  The IU fraternity does not leak out info.  For the most part, they don't even do it to their own siblings.  That was back in the day, and I'm not sure what today is like.  But, Calbert is one - he doesn't need leaks.  Unless, not true, but it looks like that was accurate.  

For the IU players that were contacted, nobody knows exactly what was talked about. They could have been asking their opinion on a coach, doing background checking, who knows.

2 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I think the only two guys listed that have little to no experience are Moye and Guyton, and I was thinking of them as DOBO... 

Woodson and Whitman have no college experience. There's only 4 spots, 3 assistant and a DOBO. 

I just think these ideas  that keep getting brought up where we hire a former player and then he fills his staff full of former player, some with very little experience, have basically a zero percent change of happening. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Woodson and Whitman have no college experience. There's only 4 spots, 3 assistant and a DOBO. 

I just think these ideas  that keep getting brought up where we hire a former player and then he fills his staff full of former player, some with very little experience, have basically a zero percent change of happening. 

Less than 0, thankfully. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

To be clear, it's not my first choice at all...but if Dolson came to the press conference and said he had hired Lewis, and Lewis wanted to bring in a former player or two, I could be sold on it...

I am feeling pretty pessimistic overall, and I am feeling like we are going to end up with a former player, and I would much prefer Lewis to Woodson...

The only reason I feel somewhat optimistic is it sounds like we are willing to spend a lot of money...

Whatever happens, I hope that we at least become a place that supports our players again...

16 minutes ago, JugRox said:

For the IU players that were contacted, nobody knows exactly what was talked about. They could have been asking their opinion on a coach, doing background checking, who knows.

Correct- but, why did is make twitter and get reported?  That makes no sense.  I'm sure Dolson is talking to a bunch of explayers including Buckner, May,Whittman, etc.  That wasn't reported.

Look at the Knight return - Randy W. Said the entire thing was worked through Dolson as that is their guy, and they knew it would not get out.  They trust him and he is not leaking info.  So, again, why was it reported Calbert or Woodson interviewed?  Either it is false, true, or they wanted it out to apply pressure, to feel the crowd, etc.

This is a weird, different, search.  

This process makes you wonder why IU has not learned anything from the past few basketball coaching searches. The pattern has been clear...

Fire the coach - Clearly they have nobody lined up - Lose players - Frustrate the fans - Hope for the best - Make it difficult on the new coach - Set the program back again. Rinse and repeat.

Was there a need to fire Archie when they did if there was no preferred choice lined up and ready to go? They could have fired Archie in May, June, or July and kept the players in place and hopefully kept most. Now it's a toss up on keeping them depending on the hire. 

You would think IU leadership would have a plan in place. I'm not upset they fired Archie. I'm upset they fired him without a top choice ready to step in, such as after the tournament. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They played on the biggest stage in college and that is experience.  Whittman experienced recruiting as a father (That is used to justify Howard).  I don't think you need college experience - You need the skills and innate abilities to be successful.  There are enough people that no the operations and procedures to fill in the gaps.  Mark of every great CEO, fill the table who make you succeed.

One of Creans weaknesses was that he controlled everthing and with his college experience he ended up making recruiting and gameplaning more difficult.