Potential replacement coaches

5 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

To be clear, it's not my first choice at all...but if Dolson came to the press conference and said he had hired Lewis, and Lewis wanted to bring in a former player or two, I could be sold on it...

I am feeling pretty pessimistic overall, and I am feeling like we are going to end up with a former player, and I would much prefer Lewis to Woodson...

The only reason I feel somewhat optimistic is it sounds like we are willing to spend a lot of money...

Whatever happens, I hope that we at least become a place that supports our players again...

I would GLADLY take another gamble on a young up and coming coach with a few years of successful mid major experience than anyone who has ZERO head coaching experience. That’s the difference between taking a 50/50 gamble and taking a 20/80 gamble. That’s insanity in my mind and idc if we DO have some sentimental attachment to a player.

some of us act like coaches who haven’t played for IU somehow aren’t QUITE as motivated to win at IU than former players. Like a former player has this “special spark” that will overcome lack of experience, lack of knowledge, lack of proven success. It’s not rational AT ALL. And no, ANY coach who comes to IU understands it’s a big time job, and is already competing as H&$%! Crean wanted to win and be a legend. So did Sampson. So did Archie. So did Davis! Anyone who takes this job has visions of being on the Mount Rushmore of a Blue Blood program.

it’s so irrational to think former players have some special “it” that no one else can match. There’s absolutely zero basis for that at all. It’s completely blind faith.

editorial comment: as a minister I HATE BLIND FAITH 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

They played on the biggest stage in college and that is experience.  Whittman experienced recruiting as a father (That is used to justify Howard).  I don't think you need college experience - You need the skills and innate abilities to be successful.  There are enough people that no the operations and procedures to fill in the gaps.  Mark of every great CEO, fill the table who make you succeed.

One of Creans weaknesses was that he controlled everthing and with his college experience he ended up making recruiting and gameplaning more difficult. 

Disney hires the guy who played Mickey to be their President. He doesn’t need experience being a President. He’s lived as Mickey. He has been boots on the ground. He’s grown up loving Disney his whole life. We can put pieces around him in the VP positions to handle stuff.

No. That isn’t reality. This is absurd 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I put all D1 head coaches in a hat and drew one out.  Our next head coach will be current California Baptist Coach Rick Croy.  

https://cbulancers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/rick-croy/348

Rumor has it that is how you got all your wives. You went to the old folks home. got the names of the women that were there, put them in a hat and you had your mate. 

Sorry Fouls, I couldn't resist. LOL

3 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Place your bets Hoosiers. It's almost noon. Mike Lewis will be named Indiana University Men's basketball coach. My bet is in. 

My bet, nothing happens today.  The women are in a Sweet 16 for first time in program history.  The AD will not overshadow that with an announcement.

My thoughts now, either we are looking at a guy whose team is still playing or we are waiting to drop our big news when the eyes of the basketball world are tuned into the Final Four.

If I had a big fish, that is when I would announce now.  What is one more week?

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

They played on the biggest stage in college and that is experience.  Whittman experienced recruiting as a father (That is used to justify Howard).  I don't think you need college experience - You need the skills and innate abilities to be successful.  There are enough people that no the operations and procedures to fill in the gaps.  Mark of every great CEO, fill the table who make you succeed.

One of Creans weaknesses was that he controlled everthing and with his college experience he ended up making recruiting and gameplaning more difficult. 

Playing at Indiana doesn't remotely prepare you to be Indiana's head coach. 

Two of Howard's assistants (Martelli and Washington) have a combined 60 years of college basketball coaching experience. 

Whitman and Woodson have none. Moye has none. Cheaney has a few seasons. 

Its a complete fantasy to think IU is going to hire a former player who is then going to load up his staff with other former players that barely have any college coaching experience. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Two of Howard's assistants (Martelli and Washington) have a combined 60 years of college basketball coaching experience. 

Its a complete fantasy to think IU is going to hire a former player who is thwn going to load up his staff with other former players that barely have any college coaching experience. 

It is also completely fantasy to think it can't happen and be successful.  I say that with all the respect in the world because you are one of the posters I look forward to reading.

We have coaches successful who never played the college game, let alone D1.  We have unsuccessful coaches who have experience and have had past success.

Give me a basketball mind who coaches and approaches life with energy, passion, enthusiasm and effort.  Why the IU guys, I beleive there is a special connection and in today's society that is rear with the startups and jumping from job to job.

Can Porter be the guy?  Beard?  Etc...of course if after doing all the research including the Epstein approach of its more than on the field - go after them.

I have every right to want an IU player as my pick.  I'll be happy with anyone who can approach the job with energy and enthusiasm.  That's why I supported Allen when other questioned.  The same would be for any candidate.

But it is also fantasy to say it can't work, just because.

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Woodson and Whitman have no college experience. There's only 4 spots, 3 assistant and a DOBO. 

I just think these ideas  that keep getting brought up where we hire a former player and then he fills his staff full of former player, some with very little experience, have basically a zero percent change of happening. 

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

It is also completely fantasy to think it can't happen and be successful.  I say that with all the respect in the world because you are one of the posters I look forward to reading.

We have coaches successful who never played the college game, let alone D1.  We have unsuccessful coaches who have experience and have had past success.

Give me a basketball mind who coaches and approaches life with energy, passion, enthusiasm and effort.  Why the IU guys, I beleive there is a special connection and in today's society that is rear with the startups and jumping from job to job.

Can Porter be the guy?  Beard?  Etc...of course if after doing all the research including the Epstein approach of its more than on the field - go after them.

I have every right to want an IU player as my pick.  I'll be happy with anyone who can approach the job with energy and enthusiasm.  That's why I supported Allen when other questioned.  The same would be for any candidate.

I didn't say it can't work, I said it has zero percent chance of happening. 

IU is not going to hire a former player first time head coach and then have him surround himself with all former players that have close to zero college coaching experience. 

It is not happening. 

Could we hire a former player? Absolutely. But the chances of that guy then surrounding himself with a full staff of former players that have little to no college coaching experience is not happening. 

Has it ever happened anywhere?   

13 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Anything is possible.  The key here is probability.

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

IU is not going to hire a former player first time head coach and then have him surround himself with all former players that have close to zero college coaching experience. 

It is not happening. 

Could we hire a former player? Absolutely. But the chances of that guy then surrounding himself with a full staff of former players that have little to no college coaching experience is not happening. 

A Lawrence Frank doesn't become a head coach or executive of the year with his background.

How did Brad Stevens become a NBA head coach?  What NBA experience did he have?  

All I'm saying is we shouldn't overlook the right fit.  All we want as diehard fans is for IU to be consistent, play with and identity and coach we can connect to. 

10 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

A Lawrence Frank doesn't become a head coach or executive of the year with his background.

How did Brad Stevens become a NBA head coach?  What NBA experience did he have?  

All I'm saying is we shouldn't overlook the right fit.  All we want as diehard fans is for IU to be consistent, play with and identity and coach we can connect to. 

I think you're missing the point. The suggestion has been that IU hire a former player as a head coach that has never been a college head coach, and then that guy surround himself with a staff of all former players with very little, to no college coaching experience. 

When Stevens went to Boston he had people on his bench with NBA coaching experience. He didn't bring a staff of all college coaches that had never been on an NBA bench. 

This idea that we hire Lewis and then his staff is Whittman, Moye and Cheaney, or Woodson, Guyton and Cheaney is never going to happen. 

7 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

We can do that without a full staff of IU guys. IMO hiring any of the IU guys would be pretty underwhelming and to big of a gamble. 

Now with that being said I would support them as our coach but my expectations would be lowered quite a bit. 

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It is not happening. 

It also wouldn’t work, lol.

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Its a complete fantasy to think IU is going to hire a former player who is thwn going to load up his staff with other former players that barely have any college coaching experience. 

Yeah I've worked with 100s of these types of guys and that's not the way it works. Getting a bunch of former IU guys to restore the glory of "ol' IU" isn't anything remotely on their minds or is it continuing the legacy of RMK. Would they honor that tradition and speak it with reverence? Absolutely, but any guy worth his salt isn't thinking about any of the things that has happened to Indiana. All he's thinking about is how he could put his stamp on Indiana and take it to heights never seen before. That's the crux in many ways with some of these potential coaches. Can they take Indiana higher? The bar is so high. Duke will face the same issues at some point in time. I'm not saying Duke won't get their choice selection, but whoever comes in next isn't going to recreate Krzyzewski's success (at least it's highly unlikely) and that will be a problem.

Ego is the biggest factor here. To me this is why Lewis makes some sense even though I'm still on board thinking it's Stevens. Bruce Pearl comes to mind. He's not going to be hired, but that type of ego is what it takes. Indiana needs to embrace the role of the villain. If the national media these past couple of weeks haven't taught us that then we'll never understand the true rhythms. You'd sell IU a lot better if you proposed that role as well. We'll see......

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Correct- but, why did is make twitter and get reported?  That makes no sense.  I'm sure Dolson is talking to a bunch of explayers including Buckner, May,Whittman, etc.  That wasn't reported.

Look at the Knight return - Randy W. Said the entire thing was worked through Dolson as that is their guy, and they knew it would not get out.  They trust him and he is not leaking info.  So, again, why was it reported Calbert or Woodson interviewed?  Either it is false, true, or they wanted it out to apply pressure, to feel the crowd, etc.

This is a weird, different, search.  

Because they are both former players and minorities. It is cover if they hire a non-minority, non-IU guy. They can safely say it was a thorough, inclusive search.

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you're missing the point. The suggestion has been that IU hire a former player as a head coach that has never been a college head coach, and then that guy surround himself with a staff of all former players with very little, to no college coaching experience. 

When Stevens went to Boston he had people on his bench with NBA coaching experience. He didn't bring a staff of all college coaches that had never been on an NBA bench. 

This idea that we hire Lewis and then his staff is Whittman, Moye and Cheaney, or Woodson, Guyton and Cheaney is never going to happen. 

Got it, yes the bench should be made up if a team to fill the gaps.  A recruiter, aau/high school guy, and a talent developer.  Connections should get you in the door.  Doesn't have to be IU guys.

Archived