Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm starting to think the $10M buyout was completed just because of Archie needing to go. Not because they had anyone in place. Guess I didn't realize the depths of anti-Archie sentiment that was out there.

Hopefully we'll be able to discuss a new coach in next week. I'm actually starting to get nervous about who we might end up with which means it's going to be a rebuild time again if we go the former IU player route.

Yeah me too

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess I don't really know why people are freaking out. Dolson clearly stated that you wont hear from him again until they hire a coach. He doesn't owe us anything to be honest, so what are people ge

Why do people even say crap like this? What corroborated evidence do you have that we've been missing on so many coaches? What has been so embarrassing? That we haven't hired a new coach barely a week

Finally, someone said it.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Ok so let me point out a few things here. First Justin Smith. Many times I listened to Archie say just can be a great defensive stopper and rebounder and do a lot of good work scoring close to the basket, but yet constantly loafed down the floor and hovered around the three point line?   Archie was not wrong. The biggest change I see in Smith is attitude. How that happened one can debate? Maybe he arrived in Hogville and Musselman said this is going to be your roll and he accepted? Or maybe it was just Smith himself? Point can or should we give The Muss all the credit? I don't think the Hogs are fundamentally sound. When talent is weak in a year or not up to standards. A fundamentally sound team can still win and make the dance. That is what IU was built on and used to be taught in every grade school, Jr High and High School in the state of Indiana. I want someone who understands that and wants to bring that back and has the moxie  to get it done.  

Where was Justin supposed to go? He always seemed to be on the floor with a combination of Race, Brunk and TD. There was no room for him anywhere else unless he further wanted to clog the lane. And this wasn’t a possibility because the only way that team could score was in the paint. How was he supposed to get all these put backs if he’s already boxed out once the shot is in the air? That’s not Justin’s fault; he was a square peg in a round hole in a brutally bad offense. 

I don’t forgive the loafing, but I can understand the frustration of playing in a system that you know is not going to work and will do nothing to highlight your skills. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Those four were never on the floor at the same time. Race was never really a factor until this year. TJD only had one year with Justin the same with Brunk. Justin did this for three years under Archie. I will give you one thing the MIller time Offense or what was called offense stunk all the way to Hogville. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Those four were never on the floor at the same time. Race was never really a factor until this year. TJD only had one year with Justin the same with Brunk. Justin did this for three years under Archie. I will give you one thing the MIller time Offense or what was called offense stunk all the way to Hogville. 

A combination of 2 of them plus Justin. I’m not going to get in to who is a wing and who is not, but he can’t effectively operate when 2 post players are on the floor. He doesn’t have to deal with that at Arkansas, which is why it’s possible for him to get 11 offensive rebounds. He wasn’t not putting those numbers up at IU due to a lack of effort....it was the system. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Musselman has been a college coach for 5 full complete seasons (not counting last year) and has made the tournament 4 times, only missing it his first year at Nevada. In those four appearances he's been to the Sweet Sixteen twice and now an Elite 8. 

He's also had single digit loss seasons in four of those five years, won his conference three times and finished 2nd another time. He led Nevada to three NCAA Tournament appearances in four years when that hadn't been there in a decade. 

Nevada had three straight single digit loss seasons his last three years, then Musselman leaves and Alford takes over and they go 16-10 in a shortened season. 

Seems like all the guy does is win. 

 

I've been in the Musselman camp for awhile and everything I read, see, and watch has him moving to my front of the line category. Whoever decides to return and transfer market. We'd be dancing with him next year.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've been in the Musselman camp for awhile and everything I read, see, and watch has him moving to my front of the line category. Whoever decides to return and transfer market. We'd be dancing with him next year.

BUT, BUT, But...he has that DUI  LOL

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rico said:

BUT, BUT, But...he has that DUI  LOL

Didn't even know that. Don't support the driving part but if he likes to throw down a few he moves up into P1 category for me. Haha.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Seeking6 said:

Didn't even know that. Don't support the driving part but if he likes to throw down a few he moves up into P1 category for me. Haha.

Actually, I thought I saw where he rarely drinks?  Just happened to get caught while working in the NBA.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still in the Musselman, Oats, Beard camp as far as home run hires. 

As mentioned earlier, I'm really impressed with how Dolson is handling this, so I'll support whoever he hires of course and give them the chance they deserve, but IMO outside of those three there will be cautious optimism, where with those three I'd have pure excitement. 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Justin Smith example too is why I hope most of these guys in the transfer portal decide to stay at IU.  I know some have said (some being the key word) that we could find better players in the portal this year, but I really liked all of the players we had this year and under the right coach maybe they could all flourish together next year under a new coach.  Regardless I’ll cheer for them all to do well like I have for Justin this year.  
 

Unless they are playing against IU!   Lol 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm still in the Musselman, Oats, Beard camp as far as home run hires. 

As mentioned earlier, I'm really impressed with how Dolson is handling this, so I'll support whoever he hires of course and give them the chance they deserve, but IMO outside of those three there will be cautious optimism, where with those three I'd have pure excitement. 

I've kind of gone all-in on Musselman, because I don't see the other two as realistic at this point.  Oats just signed that contract extension and has a huge buyout.  Beard is going to end up at Texas.  I'm actually going to be rooting for Baylor on Monday.  If Musselman reaches the Final Four, it might make it a little more difficult for him to leave.  Certainly, if they were to somehow win the championship, I would think he would stay at Arkansas.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HoosierMama said:

The Justin Smith example too is why I hope most of these guys in the transfer portal decide to stay at IU.  I know some have said (some being the key word) that we could find better players in the portal this year, but I really liked all of the players we had this year and under the right coach maybe they could all flourish together next year under a new coach.  Regardless I’ll cheer for them all to do well like I have for Justin this year.  
 

Unless they are playing against IU!   Lol 

Assuming they click with the new coach, staying with IU almost gives them the best of both worlds. They don't have to move/uproot their lives, especially during a pandemic, yet they get a completely new coach and system to see how they fit better.

It will be like transferring without actually transferring. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BGleas said:

Assuming they click with the new coach, staying with IU almost gives them the best of both worlds. They don't have to move/uproot their lives, especially during a pandemic, yet they get a completely new coach and system to see how they fit better.

It will be like transferring without actually transferring. 

They’re not going to go “up” in quality of lady folk without going A LOT further way. So be wise young me...be very wise.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm still in the Musselman, Oats, Beard camp as far as home run hires. 

As mentioned earlier, I'm really impressed with how Dolson is handling this, so I'll support whoever he hires of course and give them the chance they deserve, but IMO outside of those three there will be cautious optimism, where with those three I'd have pure excitement. 

I think those are all good coaches with different styles. Here is the thing. It's not just about a coach at Indiana. The guy better have some fortitude and be able to navigate in rough seas. Indiana and Assembly hall is and can have forty foot swells in the distance. When those waves come crashing down on the players. The coach better have them prepared to batten down the hatches and do what it takes to stay afloat instead of abandoned the ship.   

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I've kind of gone all-in on Musselman, because I don't see the other two as realistic at this point.  Oats just signed that contract extension and has a huge buyout.  Beard is going to end up at Texas.  I'm actually going to be rooting for Baylor on Monday.  If Musselman reaches the Final Four, it might make it a little more difficult for him to leave.  Certainly, if they were to somehow win the championship, I would think he would stay at Arkansas.

I also think if it were Beard that we would have heard something about some interest at this point. 

Agree on Musselman/Ark, I'm basically rooting for them to play really good and make it a close game, but lose to Baylor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

The Justin Smith example too is why I hope most of these guys in the transfer portal decide to stay at IU.  I know some have said (some being the key word) that we could find better players in the portal this year, but I really liked all of the players we had this year and under the right coach maybe they could all flourish together next year under a new coach.  Regardless I’ll cheer for them all to do well like I have for Justin this year.  
 

Unless they are playing against IU!   Lol 

Very well said.  I genuinely like this group of players.  It may not have been a championship winning roster, but it was one with enough talent to achieve a lot more than it did.  And, they seem like a good group of kids who represent the University well.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I think those are all good coaches with different styles. Here is the thing. It's not just about a coach at Indiana. The guy better have some fortitude and be able to navigate in rough seas. Indiana and Assembly hall is and can have forty foot swells in the distance. When those waves come crashing down on the players. The coach better have them prepared to batten down the hatches and do what it takes to stay afloat instead of abandoned the ship.   

Well, Musselman's dad was a long time respected coach at both the collegiate and NCAA level, and Musselman himself has been an NBA head coach, so I'm sure pressure is not anything new to him. He's been around the game at the highest levels his entire career. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Feathery said:

I don’t think they pay $10 mil to get Moser. But I agree that Moser has drastically improved over the last 4 seasons. People going back 12 years is a bit ridiculous. The high school seniors were just starting kindergarten then. Lol. He has improved as a coach and continues to develop. If we end up with Moser, then I’ll support him. He isn’t Archie Miller. I think that comparison is lazy and false. Would I rather of Eric Musselman? Yes. But I’ll support whoever the next coach without judging W/L’s for the first 3 years. Year 4 is decision time. 

I absolutely agree. I’m a show me facts guy and based on those facts I make a reasonable decision. I just want to win... I don’t wanna talk about records from 17 years ago... records man... we talkin about records... we aren’t talking about his recent success... we talking about records... records man.... records.   😂😂😂😂😂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

The Justin Smith example too is why I hope most of these guys in the transfer portal decide to stay at IU.  I know some have said (some being the key word) that we could find better players in the portal this year, but I really liked all of the players we had this year and under the right coach maybe they could all flourish together next year under a new coach.  Regardless I’ll cheer for them all to do well like I have for Justin this year.  
 

Unless they are playing against IU!   Lol 

Agree.  I think we have some pieces available on the team already.  Maybe a change in direction at the coaching level unlocks their potential.  I would like to see us add a few transfers but if we keep the core together, this could be a pretty good year 1 team for the next coach.  And at this point, expectations are low enough that just a tournament appearance and some signs of life will inject some much needed enthusiasm back into the program.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...