Potential replacement coaches

Just having a thread titled this really does make you wonder how much heat Archie is under and if something could actually be done after this season if we continue to underperform. Talk is certainly starting to spread and there’s no way Dolson doesn’t recognize it.....or he could just not care and know he’s going to give Archie next year no matter what. Really would like to know which side of the fence he is on.

58 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so, i think that sounds like a fairly nice idea as i do not want Smart since he has no college experience, but to pair him with a former veteran coach like beilein or matta and then a young IU alum as another possible future replacement?  that would be great!  that scenario just does not happen.  ever.  

I doubt Beilein or Matta would come as an assistant coach.  Beilein has never been an assistant coach in his life so I doubt he wwould start now.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

We have a president who could care less about basketball, an ex AD who was more concerned about pet projects like the student athlete bill of rights than winning, and a current AD who is the protege of said ex AD.

You have a school and a fan base that demands you be as pure as the driven snow instead of going right up to the line but not over it like everyone else.

Juan Howard in his second year just best Ohio State on the road and was calling top prospects on the phone from the bench to come join the fun. They are going to be running things going forward along with Ohio State 

Good job Indiana. Stay right where you belong as a bottom feeder in basketball.

That assistant n the phone on the bench was not talking to recruits.  He finally answered the phone and it was the pizza delivery guy who said he wasn't going to wait any longer to get into the arena.

14 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Oh man, I am a huge Tonegal fan. Valpo will be hiring him next. He is a bit too religious for me tho. 

Coached state champions in HS. 

Won MAC conference 2x in 4 years. 

Won 2 NCAA tourney games. 

About to win the SEC, which means 3 conference champs in last 4 seasons. 

Top 10 in O and D. 

Offense is a modern and fun offense. 

Take out his first season at Bama and he is 44-6 in last 3 seasons in conference. 

Oh yah, and he recruits really well.

I just only this week decided I would be ok with Fife. 

1. MSU and Izzo clearly think he is fit to take over at MSU someday. So why TF shouldn't IU?

2. MSU's best defensive teams were the first 5 seasons he went to MSU.

3. Coached IPFW to their fist ever winning season. 

4. Was never worst than 5th in conference, at a school that had just moved up to D1 and joined its first ever conference!

But the real reason I became ok with him, is that I don't think he would do any worse than our last 5 seasons. 

My best friend son is the manager of the women's team at Indiana Wesleyan and my friend doesn't think he would leave.  He views coaching more as way of pastoring kids because he is a license pastor.  I have no problem with anyone being to religious.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

BS no facts.  Please stick to the facts otherwise its BS

What isn't factual with my post?

If you don't think this program can be far worse than it is today, you must have been asleep in the early Crean years...

Or are you just sore over proposing Bruce Pearl without looking at his current record?

• Like 2

I finally broke down and read the SI article by Tom Brew. It is fairly compelling, and after reading it I don't see how we are going to be relevant without some type of miracle, or miracles.  I think everyone on this list is a crap shoot, and wonder if the state of things can improve without an absolute home run hire.  A good coach will struggle to make up ground on the rest of the conference.  It sure feels like we are in a doom loop, with no end in sight.  I was at least a little optimistic about the freshmen until I read the article and thought for a minute.  We really have got nothing much from this class when compared to other teams.  We have fallen, and we can't get up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

So you'd be good with a devout muslim as our coach, trying to witness to the team? 

I’m a full time minister and no I’d have no problem with that as long as conversations and dialogues about it happened outside of practice or structured stuff.

Just as I’d have no problem with a coach who’s an atheist being asked why he or she is, how they came to that conclusion, etc. outside structured stuff.

• Like 2

Someone unpack the logic of the following or point out where I’m wrong.

-Every top coach came from a lower place at some point either mid major or asst.

-most successful coaches even in Big Programs weren’t super well known before they got their chance

- it seems hiring a young up and coming coach with potential is about a 50/50 gamble, heck look at the coaches signed the year Archie was and compare resumes at that time

Do I want a proven stud? YES! But why would we want to stay put with Archie if we believe there’s a 5% chance he miraculously turns this around next year and 20 years from now we are saying “OMG he was the savior of IU!” When we could cut bait and even try another shot at a 50/50 gamble of a young up and comer?

I don’t see the logic in this. “Hey I’d rather stick with Archie and the 5% chance of him still working if our only option is to sign another young up and comer with a 50% chance of panning out.”

Mayne it’s actually more like a 25% chance for a young up and comer to pan out. Maybe 20%. The argument still stands.

Edited by BADGERVOL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

If you don't think this program can be far worse than it is today, you must have been asleep in the early Crean years...

Or are you just sore over proposing Bruce Pearl without looking at his current record?

You post was conjecture about changing coaches and unless you have a crystal ball you can not predict what our record would be with a different coach from that list.  So BS, no facts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

And although you are correct with Bruce Pearl and his record, it doesn't mean i can't like him as coach.  You like Archie Miller and he is a terrible coach.  I can show you the facts if you like concerning his record and rankings in his conference

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Hoosierlujah!

This is what got stuck in my head after I posted:

I've heard there was a secret offense
That Knight employed, plus solid defense
But you don’t really care for hist’ry, do ya?
A champ-ion-ship, the fourth, the fifth
The General falls, the team adrift
The baffled trustees composing Hoosierlujah

Hoosierlujah, Hoosierlujah
Hoosierlujah, Hoosierlujah

... (Buckley's version is in my head - with all respect to Cohen)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I finally broke down and read the SI article by Tom Brew. It is fairly compelling, and after reading it I don't see how we are going to be relevant without some type of miracle, or miracles.  I think everyone on this list is a crap shoot, and wonder if the state of things can improve without an absolute home run hire.  A good coach will struggle to make up ground on the rest of the conference.  It sure feels like we are in a doom loop, with no end in sight.  I was at least a little optimistic about the freshmen until I read the article and thought for a minute.  We really have got nothing much from this class when compared to other teams.  We have fallen, and we can't get up.

Yeah, what he pointed out about the Freshman was like a reality slap in the face.  I had not really thought of it that way, but with a team struggling at the guard spot, we have 3 guards on the bench who the staff is really not comfortable going to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm just saying, with the shake of the dice some want to go with, why not?

People saying it can't get much worse...sure it can...give this program to some of the names on these lists and you'll be looking at 8-22 overall and 4-16 in conference, battling Nebraska for 13th place...

or me for that matter.  i could make it worse.  i'd yell a lot.  i'd bench guys like crazy.  likely throw some off.  probably not be very good keeping my cool with the media.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, what he pointed out about the Freshman was like a reality slap in the face.  I had not really thought of it that way, but with a team struggling at the guard spot, we have 3 guards on the bench who the staff is really not comfortable going to.

Also, from the article: "Purdue is way ahead of Indiana right now, and that shouldn't be the case, not wit all of Miller's resources."

I got some flak for saying something similar last week.....just pointing this out in my own defense.

• Like 4