Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JugRox said:

It’s not happening. Wilson was pretty much fired immediately when it was found out.

Being a little loose with “elite” description with Marshall. 20 years, 1 final four and 1 sweet 16? Crean had a better resume 

Well when you are at Winthrop and WSU what more should you expect.

1 minute ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Tier 2:

Tom Izzo(61) - Actually 1.a, but think he's a longshot $4 4 mil/yr .

Jay Wright(59) - 1.b, East coast guy and longshot; $4.4 mil/yr.

Scott Drew (50) - Baylor coach $2.8 mil/yr.; Butler/Valpo Ind ties

Chris Beard (48) - Texas Tech coach, RMK ties; $4.6 mil/yr.

John Belien (68) - Age a deterrent; proven winner 26-13 in Tourney 

No chance with any of them except Drew... maybe...

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well when you are at Winthrop and WSU what more should you expect.

A Power 5 team to give you an opportunity. Which didn’t happen because he is a complete ass hat.

Why do you think he spent 20 years at those 2 schools? 

Its kinda like Musselman, there are rumors he is stuck because of off court problems 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I have said many times about Few just watch his interview from a couple of years from CBS.  You will see why he is never leaving Gonzaga.  

definitely and completely 100% understand why.  he'd be crazy to leave at this point.  

Just watched the Goodman and Hummel podcast and they both thought IU should give Archie another year.  Both were talking about the fan base still thinking it is the 80's and college basketball is do different today.  They both thought that the 10 million buyout is to steep to fire him this year unless a big time donor steps up.  They both thought Minnesota will fire Pitino or that Pitino should look at other jobs

What if I told you Srad Btevens is ready to leave Boston and move back to Indiana?

Its just my imagination and not true but it sure is fun to imagine what it would be like watching the Hoosiers become a powerhouse again.....

I can't see Matta getting back into coaching. I've said it elsewhere, but he's repeatedly said he is enjoying retirement and has no desire to get back into the game. Plus the wheels were coming off of his OSU program by the time he left. No guarantee you'd be getting the same level of production as the Oden/Conley team.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Curious your take or anyone’s how would you rank these NOT as most likely but rather most likely to get us where we want to go? Aka win a Big Ten Title and get to a Final Four?

Welcome...

Matta and Beilein have both done that multiple times in the B1G, so pending health and age it would be hard to argue against those two. 

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I can't see Marta getting back into coaching. I've said it elsewhere, but he's repeatedly said he is enjoying retirement and has no desire to get back into the game. Plus the wheels were coming off of his OSU program by the time he left. No guarantee you'd be getting the same level of production as the Oden/Conley team.

I thought I remembered a lot of people saying he wasn’t as good of an X and O guy as people think he just recruited so well he dominated with talent. 

anyone? Thoughts?

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just watched the Goodman and Hummel podcast and they both thought IU should give Archie another year.  Both were talking about the fan base still thinking it is the 80's and college basketball is do different today.  They both thought that the 10 million buyout is to steep to fire him this year unless a big time donor steps up.  They both thought Minnesota will fire Pitino or that Pitino should look at other jobs

I think Ryan Saunders would be a perfect fit at Minnesota. Young, nba credentials, and had great success molding young g leaguers. Would be able to recruit Minnesota well.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Ryan Saunders would be a perfect fit at Minnesota. Young, nba credentials, and had great success molding young g leaguers. Would be able to recruit Minnesota well.

I'd say the other guy Minny would look at would be Brian Dutcher... Minnesota ties...his Dad  (Jim) coached the Gophers in the 70s and early 80s...had some success too...

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

THIS.

He got in trouble for too many texts and phone calls.  Who gives a crap?  I did not give a crap about that with Sampson.  It was the team culture that was the problem there IMO.  The kids he brought in were not real high character guys in quite a few instances.

I expect our program to do whatever it is that Kansas, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., etc. do to get talent.  I want a guy who knows how to work those gray angles because when NLI hits, it is the wild west fellas.  And we are a program that should be really well situated to take advantage of that if we have anyone who has even the slightest clue of what they are doing down there.  It is finally taking advantage of the "delusional" fanbase that lives in the 1980's we all get accused of being by talking heads.  Yes, bleeping expect to be challenging for national titles on a regular basis because of the built in advantages we should have...."but so much competition..."  Yeah, you show me any other fanbase that would hold out for 20 freaking years waiting for things to get back on track and still be considered one of the most valuable programs with some of the highest attendance.  And that from a program that has missed the tournament as much as it has made it the past 20 years.

Get a guy who is going to get it done.  It is not cheating if everyone does it and the governing body looks the other way.  And before any of you get all holier than thou, none of you better speed when you are out driving.  If we are in a race and we are doing the speed limit when everyone else is doing 10 over and the cops don't care they are, then we are intentionally causing ourselves to lose.  

Jeff Goodman and Robbie Hummel can KMA about living in the 80's.  Losers think that way.  "You expect too much..."  Damn right I do you losers.  Why play the game if you don't expect to win?  "You have to compete with these other schools and you don't get the best kids in the state anymore..."  F that.  Things are the way they are because someone or someones that run this University made the decision for it to be that way.  Go win.  Go do what the NCAA has shown they do not care about.  Go sell your " delusional lunatic" fanbase as a positive when NLI drops.  We are not following football kids around like OSU and Michigan...not yet.  We have a gigantic alumni base.  Come here and make that money guys.  And oh yeah, we'll hopefully have someone at the helm who knows how to do something with your talent when you get here.

Tired of all these losers outside the program saying what should or should not be acceptable at IU.  Dolson, you were a damn Indiana guy when we won our last title.  He knows what this should be, hopefully he sacks up and does what needs done to get it back there.

This times 1000. 

In my line of work we are always working in the grey area. If you dont you will be left behind. They might not like the area your working and they might make a rule to change it, but you have to take advantage of it while you can.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They brought up Musselman from Arkansas since his dad coached there.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Few will never leave Gonzaga

Donovan no chance.

Matta if healthy is a good chance

Stevens no chance

Bennett has no reason to leave UVA where he has won a championship 

Maybe none of those coaches will leave the schools their at, but what does it hurt to ask. Worst thing they will tell you is they are not interested. 

Archived