Potential replacement coaches

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And? In the NBA you win with talent...he didn't have any...

Give him another year or 2 at Nebraska...right now he's coaching a bunch of college basketball vagabonds, but he's already got the first 5 star recruit in the schools basketball history on the way...

I guarantee you he'll have them being a factor before too long...

I would be all in on Hoiberg. And he would come to IU in a heart beat.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoiberg isn't going to get us to where we want to go, most likely, but I'm not sure he should be put in a different tier than Musselman or Drew. While I have my opinion on what order I'd rank those three, you could convince me of any of those three being better than the others. 

13 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I still support the current regime... but in the spirit of hypotheticals, what about Beilein with his successor already on staff (e.g., Fife)...

I don't think this is very workable.  Perhaps the HC developing a coach on his staff, but hiring them both at the same time not a good idea. 

It's probably just me, but I'm not really all that excited about any of these options, outside of possibly Beilein. I think I'd rather see what CAM can do next year. I feel like all of the coaches on this list will be on the list again next year if CAM has another underachieving year.

29 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I don't think this is very workable.  Perhaps the HC developing a coach on his staff, but hiring them both at the same time not a good idea. 

You're probably right, but I heard some complaints about Beilein's age... like AxnJxn said, I am not excited about these other (semi-realistic) options. I would rather give CAM more time.

If Sean isn’t extended at AZ, would Archie try to get him in here in some capacity?   Maybe an under the radar role of some sort?   Basically harbor him until the NCAA stuff is resolved with him?      

May be bad PR, but highly doubt he’d be up to any funny business while waiting for the NCAA ruling.  

Also, i could see Archie maybe wanting him in here, Dolson saying no way, and Archie saying some sort of “future direction of the program” line and maybe he shows himself out the door.         

8 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

I would love to see what Gonzaga does playing in a real legit conference!!  Where would they finish in the PAC-12?

true, but this year their non conference schedule was very very impressive.  also my point of him not leaving kind of goes with that.  he lives in a beautiful place at a university with no pressure in a conference he will win every year.  

52 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

and i would think very very rare and even more so if they don't already have a relationship.

Yes, the last example I can remember was Purdue and football.  It was a little different as they hired the new coach to come as understudy for a year.

53 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

It's probably just me, but I'm not really all that excited about any of these options, outside of possibly Beilein. I think I'd rather see what CAM can do next year. I feel like all of the coaches on this list will be on the list again next year if CAM has another underachieving year.

The last CAM we had got 5 years before getting fired so it will probably happen again but I think we'd be essentially giving the program the death penalty if he's brought back.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

The last CAM we had got 5 years before getting fired so it will probably happen again but I think we'd be essentially giving the program the death penalty if he's brought back.

Can Dolson really do anything this year?   If it’s true that men’s tennis and wrestling are on the chopping block, can he justify a buyout (I realize it would eventually be offset) and potentially sacrifice two sports?    

I just personally don’t see anything happening this year.  

18 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Can Dolson really do anything this year?   If it’s true that men’s tennis and wrestling are on the chopping block, can he justify a buyout (I realize it would eventually be offset) and potentially sacrifice two sports?    

The buyout really isn't a big deal IMO.  Fred said that Crean's was always a non issue.  Archie will get another job paying in that $1.5M+ range at least.

20 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Idk the answer but are they getting chopped for financial reasons for Title 9?

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Because Scott knows what drives Tony Bennett.  

This says all one needs to know about Tony Bennett and his motivation:

Tony Bennett is at peace. He remains fiercely competitive and committed to his program, but he’s not driven by financial reward.

“I have more than I need,” Bennett, the Dean and Markel Families Men’s Basketball Head Coach, said. “I’m blessed beyond what I deserve.”

In the aftermath of the national championship, athletics director Carla Williams, with UVA President Jim Ryan’s blessing, met with Bennett to discuss revisions to his contract that would have included a substantial raise.

Bennett discussed the offer with his wife, Laurel. Then he declined the raise.

“This just does not happen in our industry,” Williams said.

Bennett asked Williams to focus instead on additional compensation for his staff and improvements that would benefit his program. He extended his contract another year and now has seven years remaining on his deal.

“Laurel and I are in a great spot, and in the past I’ve had increases in my contract,” Bennett said. “We just feel a great peace about where we’re at, all that’s taken place, and how we feel about this athletic department and this community and this school. I love being at UVA.

“President Ryan and Carla were very gracious in what they offered to me as a potential contract, but I have a very good contract. I have more than enough, and if there are ways that this can help out the athletic department, the other programs and coaches, by not tying up so much [in men’s basketball], that’s my desire.”

I fully support what we’re trying to do,” Bennett said. “I see the big picture.”

Those are not empty words. The Bennetts have pledged $500,000 toward a career-development program that’s been launched for current and former UVA men’s basketball players.

https://news.virginia.edu/content/tony-bennett-declined-raise-then-he-and-his-wife-pledged-500k-career-program

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The buyout really isn't a big deal IMO.  Fred said that Crean's was always a non issue.  Archie will get another job paying in that $1.5M+ range at least.

Yeah. I think all the money is there - and then some.   But, optically, as an AD, will IU approve it ... and not approve two sports they may get axed bc of financial troubles?

7 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Idk the answer but are they getting chopped for financial reasons for Title 9?

It’s my understanding revenue is down and multiple sports are just barely hanging on.  While some women’s sports may be in a worse financial position, yes - it would have to be two men’s sports due to Title IX

The more I think about it I really think we will have Archie next year.  If he is back I will back him and hope for the best.  I would hope that the players will work their butts off this summer to develop.  I hope the coaching staff will look to make drastic changes to their coaching philosophy.  They have to realize what they are doing right now is not working and should base things on their personal and not their philosophy. 

I think the main reason he will be back is that the buyout and the perception that would come paying that huge amount.  I have heard that the athletic department is in the hole by around 40-60 million so it would be hard to justify it.  If true that some sports are being considered to be chopped then you can't justify all that money on a buyout plus the new coaches salary.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the main reason he will be back is that the buyout and the perception that would come paying that huge amount.  I have heard that the athletic department is in the hole by around 40-60 million so it would be hard to justify it.  If true that some sports are being considered to be chopped then you can't justify all that money on a buyout plus the new coaches salary.

That’s what I think.  Unless Archie leaves on his own, he’s back.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There are 2 sports that make money for an athletic department.  If one of your two revenue generators has bad leadership and is impacting your ability to earn money, you don't keep that bad leadership around in order to save 2 sports that are net cost losers (i.e. they take more than they make.)

Forget optics, this is business.  You want those other programs around, you need your football and men's basketball teams maximizing revenue.  Miller is no where near to performing at a level that maximize basketball revenue.

"But BTN money pays for so much..."  Yep, and what is the BTN money predicated on?  Football and basketball.  If not for those 2 sports, the network does not exist.

If Dolson keeps Miller around because of wrestling and tennis, he needs fired for being incompetent.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

There are 2 sports that make money for an athletic department.  If one of your two revenue generators has bad leadership and is impacting your ability to earn money, you don't keep that bad leadership around in order to save 2 sports that are net cost losers (i.e. they take more than they make.)

Forget optics, this is business.  You want those other programs around, you need your football and men's basketball teams maximizing revenue.  Miller is no where near to performing at a level that maximize basketball revenue.

"But BTN money pays for so much..."  Yep, and what is the BTN money predicated on?  Football and basketball.  If not for those 2 sports, the network does not exist.

If Dolson keeps Miller around because of wrestling and tennis, he needs fired for being incompetent.

Do you think the BoT and Indiana University thinks that/cares?    While the AD can make the case all day long, I’m just not sure the University would rush into this knowing it’ll be different next year.    

Archived