Potential replacement coaches

42 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’m a full time minister and no I’d have no problem with that as long as conversations and dialogues about it happened outside of practice or structured stuff.

Just as I’d have no problem with a coach who’s an atheist being asked why he or she is, how they came to that conclusion, etc. outside structured stuff.

And that's totally fair. I'd personally prefer none of that, but it has to be none of it or all of it. Not only one certain religion. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And although you are correct with Bruce Pearl and his record, it doesn't mean i can't like him as coach.  You like Archie Miller and he is a terrible coach.  I can show you the facts if you like concerning his record and rankings in his conference

Are you going to include his first 3 years at Auburn when he was 15-20, 11-20, and 18-14? And the fact that in 5 years he's made the tournament twice?

Are you going to mention the Aaron Kraft incident and the lie he got caught in that got him canned?

Oh, that's right...you don't care about cheating...or integrity...

And if you didn't read the thread title, this whole thread is conjecture about a coaching change. 

My point was you can damn sure get somebody in here that would do worse. 

And if I didn't love Indiana basketball so much, I'd kinda wish some of you people would get your wish and see for yourselves...

Torn.  Want Archie to work out, but seems to be losing ground with each passing season.  

The “finding the new coach” idea does cause concern: to start over, to take chance of missing on coach again, to wait for new system to take hold, recruiting, strategy and on...

If I was Scott Dolson I don’t know who I would get.  

I think the best thing for the program would be Archie to be the guy and turn it around.  I don't think going through another coaching change is good for the program.  Also with the names thrown out there doesn't give me confidence that it would be much better.  The problem is that Archie hasn't shown anything the four years that gives us confidence that he is the guy

58 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Someone unpack the logic of the following or point out where I’m wrong.

-Every top coach came from a lower place at some point either mid major or asst.

-most successful coaches even in Big Programs weren’t super well known before they got their chance

- it seems hiring a young up and coming coach with potential is about a 50/50 gamble, heck look at the coaches signed the year Archie was and compare resumes at that time

Do I want a proven stud? YES! But why would we want to stay put with Archie if we believe there’s a 5% chance he miraculously turns this around next year and 20 years from now we are saying “OMG he was the savior of IU!” When we could cut bait and even try another shot at a 50/50 gamble of a young up and comer?

I don’t see the logic in this. “Hey I’d rather stick with Archie and the 5% chance of him still working if our only option is to sign another young up and comer with a 50% chance of panning out.”

Mayne it’s actually more like a 25% chance for a young up and comer to pan out. Maybe 20%. The argument still stands.

see my problem with that is that while i understand nothing is guaranteed, Archie was a hot, young, up and coming coach when we got him.  if we try that again and it doesn't work out, we'll be giving the next guy at least 4 years too and then what?  start over again.  i really think the next hire is HUGE for the future.  kind of an obvious statement, but i think it would be devastating to get the wrong guy again.  

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i hate the idea of hiring an IU guys just because he's an IU guy, but i'd actually be a little more hopeful with Alford than Smart.  and i get what you mean about fit.  still think it would be a huge risk that we'd be firing Alford in another 4-5 years and continuing the nightmare.  

Part of my issue with Alford (other than his past) is that I think it would be less likely for the administration to fire him after 4-5 years even if he performed poorly. I think he'd get more leeway from the administration and a segment of the fan base. So even if he was on the NCAAT bubble every year I think he'd be coach for 7+ years and he'd have to do very poorly to get fired before that.

What is most likely to happen with him is Crean 2.0 with up and down performance. Crean was coach for 9 years. Alford would probably get longer than that if he had similar results. 

I really, really hope Alford isn't the next coach regardless of when Miller makes his exit.

There may be someone interested who was not formerly available or interested.  

Not referring to pipe dream candidates (Stevens or Donovan), but someone like Beilein, who I really like, but age is a factor.  If Thad Matta was healthy, he would be solid. 

Nate Oats may be great, but don’t know he has done more than Archie when he was hired at IU.  

It doesn’t seem like there is someone out there to get excited about right now and I would be all for giving a 5th year...then maybe

Correct me if I’m wrong, but 5 years ago our realistic options were:

Archie
Mack
Holtmann
Cronin
Alford

Is it me or did that replacement pool seem better that what is out there today? Do we know if CAM was the admins first pick from that pool?

*I’m going to refrain from making a prediction because I don’t know what I’m talking about. I was trying to convince myself Kevin Keatts was the guy 5 years ago. 

i definitely hope Archie makes the tourney this year (i don't think he will) and everyone comes back next year and progress the way we hope and we are really good next year (i don't really think this will happen).  that's obviously best for us.  if that happens, i can believe Archie knows how to coach and could get the program going where we want it.  that said, i'm assuming that's not gonna happen.  i am betting he gets one more year even without making the tourney this year.  if that's it then we really really need to make the right hire this time.  can't roll the dice on an IU guy just because.  can't hire a young up and comer that ha no big time college head coaching experience.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe we should hire Chris Mack so we could see videos of our obviously inebriated coach trash talkin after we beat Purdue.

Story contains video of 'possibly' drunken Mack celebrating victory of UK earlier this season.

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/video-chris-mack-eric-wood-kentucky/574106

If Chris Mack is inebriated in this video then hes a cheap drunk...not much to see IMO 

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but 5 years ago our realistic options were:

Archie
Mack
Holtmann
Cronin
Alford

Is it me or did that replacement pool seem better that what is out there today? Do we know if CAM was the admins first pick from that pool?

*I’m going to refrain from making a prediction because I don’t know what I’m talking about. I was trying to convince myself Kevin Keatts was the guy 5 years ago. 

My #1 choice last time was Greg Marshall

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Are you going to include his first 3 years at Auburn when he was 15-20, 11-20, and 18-14? And the fact that in 5 years he's made the tournament twice?

Are you going to mention the Aaron Kraft incident and the lie he got caught in that got him canned?

Oh, that's right...you don't care about cheating...or integrity...

And if you didn't read the thread title, this whole thread is conjecture about a coaching change. 

My point was you can damn sure get somebody in here that would do worse. 

And if I didn't love Indiana basketball so much, I'd kinda wish some of you people would get your wish and see for yourselves...

You are correct.  We could very well replace the train wreck we have with a new train wreck.  My point was you can look at every coach list and start throwing out records like that.  You blast people for doing that themselves so you can do it either.

As for Bruce Pearl, yup he has his issues and i still think he would be an upgrade.  But that is why its my opinion and not yours.  We can disagree and at the end of the day we're both full of shit and that is the honest truth because neither of us and look further than was is happening right now.

You might very well be right and CAM will lead us to the promise land of national attention and a couple more banners.  You could also be so completely wrong that he drags down even further over the next few years that we will be in worst condition that we were after Sampson.  Its going to be somewhere in the between.  I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

But that doesn't make you or I right in any of these conversations.  it makes us fans with completely different views of the situation and how to resolve it.

Blatant cheating, no.  Doing what everyone else is doing and is being allowed by the NCAA, you're damn right we should be.  Stand on a sinking ship to prove how morally superior we are than those on the lifeboat is just plain stupid.

Have a wonderful day and I hope life is treating you well my friend.

Go Hoosiers!

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Mine were in no particular order

Steven
Donovan
Few
Mach
Bennett
Marshall

I was shooting for the moon

I knew there were no chance of Stevens but I did fall for the Donovan rumors for awhile.  I knew Few wasn't coming so I didn't have him on my list.  

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

Torn.  Want Archie to work out, but seems to be losing ground with each passing season.  

The “finding the new coach” idea does cause concern: to start over, to take chance of missing on coach again, to wait for new system to take hold, recruiting, strategy and on...

If I was Scott Dolson I don’t know who I would get.  

Well that's why he's above our pay grade, right? He doesn't take this job without thinking that making this decision may happen and that he could make a good hire, right? 

Indiana doesn't hire him if they don't have full confidence in him bringing the program back to glory, right?

Or is he just a placeholder at a critical position at the university?

I don’t know what coaches we can get. I just know 4 an 5 at home and two of our loses are to the bottom feeders of the big ten speak volumes that we have recruited poorly! Archie knows it’s our guard play yet he hasn’t picked a good one yet! 
why would he not use Stewart! I am embarrassed for this team. We are a joke! 

Just now, OLDIUFAN said:

I don’t know what coaches we can. I just know 4 an 5 at home and two of our loses are to the bottom feeders of the big ten speak volumes that we have recruited poorly! Archie knows it’s our guard play yet he hasn’t picked a good one yet! 
why would he not use Stewart! I am embarrassed for this team. We are a joke! 

i still don't believe that Miller is just deciding not to play Stewart.  of course i don't know and IUFLA might get mad that i'm speculating and giving my opinion with no facts, but i think there's more to it than that.  

Archived