Potential replacement coaches

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If you hire a guy like Alford or Fife they'd better start winning right away.  They'd have a very short leash with the fan base as no one wanted them in the first place.  If you hire a proven winner like Drew or Pearl they would get a long leash as they have proven they know how to coach in the big boy leagues.  I think there is a misconception among some fans that an IU guy is the solution because they would get a longer leash.  I promise you the exact opposite is the case as there are no promising IU guys out there.

100%

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Gonzaga doesn't don't get battle tested during the conference season. In defense of Few, it's hard to prepare your team for those dog fights when your toughest game after December is typically against St. Mary. 

Oh, I agree, he’s made huge adjustments last couple years playing a very stacked pre-conf schedule. He’s also dipping into the top 5 players  recruiting wise, which will also put him over the top. 

Gotta say talking about good basketball sucks bad with  IU being a dumpster fire. 

41 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Maybe, but they're more than happy to cash the alimony payment..

“The $53 million building (School of Global and International Studies) was funded entirely through university sources,” the release read, “with half of the funding coming from IU's Big Ten Network revenues, representing the largest-ever commitment from IU Athletics revenue to support the core academic mission of the university.”

And you know what, I would be fine with that if it went to establish a degree that I thought would actually be worthwhile.  School of Global and International Studies is a vanity project for our "International" President.

How many students do you think are lining up for that degree?  How much research money does that school pull to the University?  If IU dropped $26.5 million of athletic money into trying to establish an computer or bio engineering school?  Sign me up.  (But we shouldn't do that because Purdue has one....yeah, explain Krannert to me.)

I know we are heavily a liberal arts school, but my lord, if you are looking to raise your academic profile and bring some money to the school, look at STEM, not the school for rich kids who want to do a semester in Europe.

51 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Someone was saying the athletic department is down $40 million this year. I could see Dolson being fine with cutting ties with Archie, but at the same time not going for a big fish because of the down year financially. Dane Fife was brought up by the insider on the other board as being a realistic option because of multiple reasons: 1. Part of the IU family 2. Can recruit 3. Wouldn’t cost big money 4. Could be your guy for the next 30 years. In a podcast interview earlier in the season he stated there were 3 head coaching jobs he’d take: IU, Michigan, and Michigan State.
   I understand the lack of head coaching experience he may possess, but he’s a guy who would definitely know what IU basketball is supposed to look like and I’m sure he’d do everything he could to get us to that point. If a financial bind really does prevent us from going big, I think I’d be ok with Fife. He’d understand the passion and I think he’d get a staff that understood it just as well. He’s going to have kids a lot more willing to go to IU than IPFW. The school alone sells itself in that aspect when comparing his last head gig. If we can get the big fish then great, but otherwise I think Fife wouldn’t be a bad option if Archie were let go this season. 

Edit: This isn’t me saying it’s what I hope happens by any means, but based off situation and thinking how the department could maybe go about this, I see it as a possibility because of the reasons stated. I’d love for us to buck up and go all out to be certain we get back to where we are supposed to be. If we go the cheap route, I could see Fife as the option. 

You might be right and this might end up where we are. But if that’s the case we truly have “waved the white flag.” IU basketball has been left for dead.

It’s basically saying “this is all we can or will get, and there’s always hoping for that 10% chance he becomes a legend and ignore the 90% chance he won’t, but here’s to hoping so let’s hire, save money and move on saying we care about winning.”

Straight up, Fife’s resume is MUCH less impressive than Archie’s was. By a TON. I would be less impressed with this hire than Crean or Archie’s by a mile. This is Mike Davis level blind leap into the dark and the irony is Fife fought to keep Davis.

Have at it IU. If this is the game you’re going to play I’m 90% certain you won’t get me to spend a dime on anything IU.

That was my worry with Scott Dolson from the beginning. If there had to be a change made, would he push the nostalgic type hire or reach for the stars.

But, we can’t really judge Mr. Dolson until he has to make a move. At that point, his true vision for the program will be clear based on who he brings in.

5 minutes ago, Inequality said:

That was my worry with Scott Dolson from the beginning. If there had to be a change made, would he push the nostalgic type hire or reach for the stars.

But, we can’t really judge Mr. Dolson until he has to make a move. At that point, his true vision for the program will be clear based on who he brings in.

I said it on this board at the time that it was the "anyone but Dolson hire".  He's a complete and total yes man and wasn't even remotely qualified for the job.  Kraft was my choice but Reynolds would've been fine.  As always IU picked the absolute worst hire.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I said it on this board at the time that it was the "anyone but Dolson hire".  He's a complete and total yes man and wasn't even remotely qualified for the job.  Kraft was my choice but Reynolds would've been fine.  As always IU picked the absolute worst hire.

Well bandaiding the program will only buy so much time. The fan base will turn again and again.

I agree on the Reynolds/Kraft mention. However, the jury is till out on Dolson. A Fife or Alford type hire would be depressing.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

You might be right and this might end up where we are. But if that’s the case we truly have “waved the white flag.” IU basketball has been left for dead.

It’s basically saying “this is all we can or will get, and there’s always hoping for that 10% chance he becomes a legend and ignore the 90% chance he won’t, but here’s to hoping so let’s hire, save money and move on saying we care about winning.”

Straight up, Fife’s resume is MUCH less impressive than Archie’s was. By a TON. I would be less impressed with this hire than Crean or Archie’s by a mile. This is Mike Davis level blind leap into the dark and the irony is Fife fought to keep Davis.

Have at it IU. If this is the game you’re going to play I’m 90% certain you won’t get me to spend a dime on anything IU.

Kind of what I have been saying for years that our fan base will be disappointed in who would want this job.  I am sure they have put feelers out to the top coaches but was probably turned down because coaches don't need IU to win.  It has been proven over the last 15 years that you can win at schools who were not considered great jobs back in the day.  I also seems like coaches are more willing to stay where they are at and the worry more about fit and happiness over the money.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Kind of what I have been saying for years that our fan base will be disappointed in who would want this job.  I am sure they have put feelers out to the top coaches but was probably turned down because coaches don't need IU to win.  It has been proven over the last 15 years that you can win at schools who were not considered great jobs back in the day.  I also seems like coaches are more willing to stay where they are at and the worry more about fit and happiness over the money.

The issue isn't about who would want the job, it's who will the administration go and get. 

A good administration can go and get a top hire at IU. Easily. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The issue isn't about who would want the job, it's who will the administration go and get. 

A good administration can go and get a top hire at IU. Easily. 

So how do you know who they have talked to in the past and who they tried to get.  if reports are true we have been turned down by Few, Stevens and Bennett in the past.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

If you hire a guy like Alford or Fife they'd better start winning right away.  They'd have a very short leash with the fan base as no one wanted them in the first place.  If you hire a proven winner like Drew or Pearl they would get a long leash as they have proven they know how to coach in the big boy leagues.  I think there is a misconception among some fans that an IU guy is the solution because they would get a longer leash.  I promise you the exact opposite is the case as there are no promising IU guys out there.

That’s why part of me thinks Dolson is considering a change now bc of the free agency off-season.  Can literally rebuild a roster between March and August.   This off-season would accelerate any rebuild compared to other years.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So how do you know who they have talked to in the past and who they tried to get.  if reports are true we have been turned down by Few, Stevens and Bennett in the past.

Also reports that Pitino, Cal, and Beilein were all begging for the job at one point.

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Also reports that Pitino, Cal, and Beilein were all begging for the job at one point.

Glad we never went after Cal,  After Pitino left the Celtics I would have loved the hire because he had not been in trouble at that time.  If true it was Herbert to put the nix on the Beilein hire.

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Glad we never went after Cal,  After Pitino left the Celtics I would have loved the hire because he had not been in trouble at that time.  If true it was Herbert to put the nix on the Beilein hire.

Pitino was a no due to his wife not wanting that small town feel. 

A name I haven't seen mentioned is Mike White.  Seems like a relatively safe hire.  He's fairly young and takes UF to the dance almost every year.  I don't know his buyout but he might be realistic. 

He also seems to have that laid back nice guy personality that is a requirement for our administration. 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

A name I haven't seen mentioned is Mike White.  Seems like a relatively safe hire.  He's fairly young and takes UF to the dance almost every year.  I don't know his buyout but he might be realistic. 

He also seems to have that laid back nice guy personality that is a requirement for our administration. 

Seems like he had one great year at Florida and the other just average

Statistics overview
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (Western Athletic Conference) (2011–2013)
2011–12 Louisiana Tech 18–16 6–8 T–5th  
2012–13 Louisiana Tech 27–7 16–2 T–1st NIT Second Round
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (Conference USA) (2013–2015)
2013–14 Louisiana Tech 29–8 13–3 T–1st NIT Quarterfinals
2014–15 Louisiana Tech 27–9 15–3 1st NIT Quarterfinals
Louisiana Tech: 101–40 (.716) 50–16 (.758)  
Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (2015–present)
2015–16 Florida 21–15 9–9 T–8th NIT Quarterfinals
2016–17 Florida 27–9 14–4 2nd NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2017–18 Florida 21–13 11–7 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2018–19 Florida 20–16 9–9 8th NCAA Division I Round of 32
2019–20 Florida 19–12 11–7 T–4th  
2020–21 Florida 13–6 9–5    
Florida: 121–71 (.630) 63–41 (.606)

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Seems like he had one great year at Florida and the other just average

Statistics overview
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (Western Athletic Conference) (2011–2013)
2011–12 Louisiana Tech 18–16 6–8 T–5th  
2012–13 Louisiana Tech 27–7 16–2 T–1st NIT Second Round
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (Conference USA) (2013–2015)
2013–14 Louisiana Tech 29–8 13–3 T–1st NIT Quarterfinals
2014–15 Louisiana Tech 27–9 15–3 1st NIT Quarterfinals
Louisiana Tech: 101–40 (.716) 50–16 (.758)  
Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (2015–present)
2015–16 Florida 21–15 9–9 T–8th NIT Quarterfinals
2016–17 Florida 27–9 14–4 2nd NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2017–18 Florida 21–13 11–7 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2018–19 Florida 20–16 9–9 8th NCAA Division I Round of 32
2019–20 Florida 19–12 11–7 T–4th  
2020–21 Florida 13–6 9–5    
Florida: 121–71 (.630) 63–41 (.606)

Looks like John Wooden compared to Archie or Fife.  Who is your home run hire Scott that we could get since you apparently know everything about everything?  Dolson is waiting by the phone for your call.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Looks like John Wooden compared to Archie or Fife.  Who is your home run hire Scott that we could get since you apparently know everything about everything?  Dolson is waiting by the phone for your call.

There is no home run hire out there and I didn't say I would say no to White either.

Archived