Potential replacement coaches

6 minutes ago, BDB said:

I am sorry for recruiting this roster. 

I mean what do you want him to do... people throw a fit if he doesn’t get Indiana players then when he does they get mad those Indiana players aren’t producing or aren’t good enough... Anthony Leal was the Indiana Gatorade player of the year for peer sake. Lander was the 27th ranked player and would’ve been number 1 point guard in his class... these players will be good as juniors and seniors but not as freshmen when they are playing 22-24 year olds. How many wide open layups has Our team missed. Archie can’t control that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Coaches also aren't dumb.  They talk to each other, and it's a fraternity.  They know who is hamstrung by their own administration.

No amount of money would make Chris Beard want to come to a tougher conference and have to deal with internal obstacles that prevent him from rising to the top.

Internal obstacles yes, they’d stay away from.

Staying away from a “tougher conference?” No way. The coach we want is one who feels they’re the best and wants to prove it against THE BEST. Any coach who’s not pumped to go to the best conferences and go against the best aren’t going to win it all. Deep in their souls they’re scared.

cough cough...Few...cough cough

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I mean what do you want him to do... people throw a fit if he doesn’t get Indiana players then when he does they get mad those Indiana players aren’t producing or aren’t good enough... Anthony Leal was the Indiana Gatorade player of the year for peer sake. Lander was the 27th ranked player and would’ve been number 1 point guard in his class... these players will be good as juniors and seniors but not as freshmen when they are playing 22-24 year olds. How many wide open layups has Our team missed. Archie can’t control that.

If Archie is recruiting players to prevent fans from throwing a fit, we now know why he failed...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Coaches also aren't dumb.  They talk to each other, and it's a fraternity.  They know who is hamstrung by their own administration.

No amount of money would make Chris Beard want to come to a tougher conference and have to deal with internal obstacles that prevent him from rising to the top.

Im not sure what those internal obstacles are?

- It's not putting money into facilities

-It's not having one of the largest recruiting budgets in the country 

-It's not salary 

-It's not paying assistants 

-It's not limiting media hype or budget around midnight madness and events like that.

-Langford, Jackson-Davis, Lander are all McAA talents who signed with IU.  And, a bunch of Indiana Mr. Basketballs on this roster.

7 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

A ton of what you’ve shared is on Archie. Again I really like Archie 1000X more than Crean. But HE recruited the players. HE hasn’t gotten them to play defense (that’s mostly taught), HE is the one who designs the plays and pits the players in a position to maximize their talents and minimize their weaknesses. 

I haven’t seen anyone say that what he’s getting paid is a part of this at all. It hasn’t worked. He gave it a go and it’s a fail. Time for both sides to move on. I hope we find a good fit with this next one. That man will be given every chance to succeed as the previous have. And if that one doesn’t work we do it again and again till we find our coach.

IU better never “settle in” with a coach for 15 years just to settle in with them regardless of their success. That’s not what people who make 5,000,000 a year do...they find a way to build a winner or they step aside.

I totally see where you’re coming from and you probably aren’t wrong I’m just saying I’m tired of everyone always just blaming Archie instead of blaming our team as a whole. I also coach basketball I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to repeat things as a coach and the kids don’t get it or just don’t give a crap. Yes I know them they should be benched. Archie is still trying to win and none of us see what he or the coaching staff sees or experiences behind the scenes and in practice.

• Like 3

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

I totally see where you’re coming from and you probably aren’t wrong I’m just saying I’m tired of everyone always just blaming Archie instead of blaming our team as a whole. I also coach basketball I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to repeat things as a coach and the kids don’t get it or just don’t give a crap. Yes I know them they should be benched. Archie is still trying to win and none of us see what he or the coaching staff sees or experiences behind the scenes and in practice.

I get that. I do. We all have a tendency to pile on. Myself included.

11 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

A ton of what you’ve shared is on Archie. Again I really like Archie 1000X more than Crean. But HE recruited the players. HE hasn’t gotten them to play defense (that’s mostly taught), HE is the one who designs the plays and pits the players in a position to maximize their talents and minimize their weaknesses. 

I haven’t seen anyone say that what he’s getting paid is a part of this at all. It hasn’t worked. He gave it a go and it’s a fail. Time for both sides to move on. I hope we find a good fit with this next one. That man will be given every chance to succeed as the previous have. And if that one doesn’t work we do it again and again till we find our coach.

IU better never “settle in” with a coach for 15 years just to settle in with them regardless of their success. That’s not what people who make 5,000,000 a year do...they find a way to build a winner or they step aside.

I’ve had at least 5-7 people argue with me and say well Archie is making $3m this is all on him...... and sorry I should’ve clarified I want someone who is here 15 years and winning Lol. If Archie is not great and not the man for the job then that’s totally fine and I wouldn’t want him here 15 years. I would like to see Archie have one more year with big man depth and Durham gone and insert Stewart and Gunn Who are more prototypical pack like defense players. I’d even be fine if RP was gone and we brought in a grad transfer pg/sg combo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’ve had at least 5-7 people argue with me and say well Archie is making $3m this is all on him...... and sorry I should’ve clarified I want someone who is here 15 years and winning Lol. If Archie is not great and not the man for the job then that’s totally fine and I wouldn’t want him here 15 years. I would like to see Archie have one more year with big man depth and Durham gone and insert Stewart and Gunn Who are more prototypical pack like defense players. I’d even be fine if RP was gone and we brought in a grad transfer pg/sg combo

Yea the pay part makes NO difference. That’s dumb IMO

Let’s keep reminding ourselves that overwhelmingly we like Archie. I need to remind myself that also. He’s gotta go but I SO hope he can leave now where it doesn’t get ugly for EVERYONE involved. Let’s make this happen NOW not when it’s too late and bridges are badly burned. Save face.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I get that. I do. We all have a tendency to pile on. Myself included.

I’m actually very Neutral I have no skin in the game to want to keep Archie. I’m just a coach so I tend to defend coaches but I get if players aren’t developing then that is on the coach... I do wonder if covid has affected him from being able to develop them or not. No other team has had 4 freshmen on the court at the same time like we’ve had to do this year. 

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Let’s keep reminding ourselves that overwhelmingly we like Archie. I need to remind myself that also. He’s gotta go but I SO hope he can leave now where it doesn’t get ugly for EVERYONE involved. Let’s make this happen NOW not when it’s too late and bridges are badly burned. Save face.

I totally get where you’re coming from and would be fine with that if we can hire someone who is worth replacing him... I don’t want to lose Duncomb, Gunn, Or Franklin so the new coach would absolutely have to focus on keeping them. I would be worried that Franklin would follow Archie. I think RP definitely would and I’d be cool with that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Kaufman was the Gatorade player of the last year in Indiana

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Gunn won't be here next but 2022

• Like 1

Just starting watching AJ podcast with Dolson.  Before the interview when AJ was talking with the producer and was what he thought about the interview with Dolson. AJ said he came away feeling better on the future of IU basketball.  He said he knows that Scott is all in to get IU basketball back and with Scott connection to former players.  He knows that those former players are in his year and AJ is confident that Scott will make the right choices.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’m actually very Neutral I have no skin in the game to want to keep Archie. I’m just a coach so I tend to defend coaches but I get if players aren’t developing then that is on the coach... I do wonder if covid has affected him from being able to develop them or not. No other team has had 4 freshmen on the court at the same time like we’ve had to do this year. 

The pile of excuses is getting taller than the stadium previously known as Assembly Hall. We have 4 freshman on the court at the same time because Archie  has had open scholarships the past few years that were not filled. Not to mention that Damezi, and Moore and Forrestor did not pan out. That’s on Archie. Michigan needed guards and signed two grad transfers that are two of their 6 leading scorers. They are older because they went out and got what they needed....And their leading scorer is a freshman.  Sorry but we are past the we are young, we will be better when Romeo/Davis/Green/Smith etc leave excuses.  

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

The pile of excuses is getting taller than the stadium previously known as Assembly Hall. We have 4 freshman on the court at the same time because Archie  has had open scholarships the past few years that were not filled. Not to mention that Damezi, and Moore and Forrestor did not pan out. That’s on Archie. Michigan needed guards and signed two grad transfers that are two of their 6 leading scorers. They are older because they went out and got what they needed....And their leading scorer is a freshman.  Sorry but we are past the we are young, we will be better when Romeo/Davis/Green/Smith etc leave excuses.  

You make very good points.... I don’t Disagree but I’m not really making excuses just making points.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He said he knows that Scott is all in to get IU basketball back and with Scott connection to former players.  He knows that those former players are in his year and AJ is confident that Scott will make the right choices.

During the Sampson, Crean and Archie years we have been hearing about the importance of the program connecting with the former players and how that would change things. While I think it’s a nice story, and I would very much prefer the former players to be connected, I now question how much difference that really makes. Our current team played a game when our greatest coach ever, and many of the best players we have ever had came to Assembly Hall, and proceeded to sleep walk through the game. 
Do we think 19 year olds are inspired when a guy that played 20 years before they were born comes to practice? I think it makes the grey hairs, like me, feel good but am not sure it transfers to the court.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

During the Sampson, Crean and Archie years we have been hearing about the importance of the program connecting with the former players and how that would change things. While I think it’s a nice story, and I would very much prefer the former players to be connected, I now question how much difference that really makes. Our current team played a game when our greatest coach ever, and many of the best players we have ever had came to Assembly Hall, and proceeded to sleep walk through the game. 
Do we think 19 year olds are inspired when a guy that played 20 years before they were born comes to practice? I think it makes the grey hairs, like me, feel good but am not sure it transfers to the court.

We need a coach to come in and create their own culture. Knight didn't do things Branch, the next guy doesn't have to be like Knight.

Get a guy that plays up tempo offense and understands the importance of half court defense. 

Get a guy who plays firehouse offense, 40 minutes of hell defense, ball. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Internal obstacles yes, they’d stay away from.

Staying away from a “tougher conference?” No way. The coach we want is one who feels they’re the best and wants to prove it against THE BEST. Any coach who’s not pumped to go to the best conferences and go against the best aren’t going to win it all. Deep in their souls they’re scared.

cough cough...Few...cough cough

Nah, he's a legend. 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just starting watching AJ podcast with Dolson.  Before the interview when AJ was talking with the producer and was what he thought about the interview with Dolson. AJ said he came away feeling better on the future of IU basketball.  He said he knows that Scott is all in to get IU basketball back and with Scott connection to former players.  He knows that those former players are in his year and AJ is confident that Scott will make the right choices.

Just got done with the actual podcast with Scott.  I guess it depends what perspective you were going in when you listened to it.  I came away very impressed and never once thought he said that winning is not a top priority.  He said academics, player experience they had at IU playing  sports at IU and winning.  He never said that was in order of his expectations.  He also said that for the athlete to have the best experience possible it comes from winning.  He said a few times that winning is his priority and that is what they strive for in every sport.

Also I did not find him as a yes man and will do the job just like Glass did.  He talked plenty about how when he had a job and said he would take notes to how would do if he was in charge.  To me that sounds like he will take his experience and other to make things better.  Like I said people can hear the same thing but interpret it differently.  I have no idea how anyone who watched the whole podcast could come away saying that he does not put winning at the top of his priorities

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1