Potential replacement coaches

2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Nobody has mentioned this guy for a while. 

I believe Chris Collins would be a tremendous long-term solution.  He could come in without doing much in terms of roster (not suggesting this as best route, but to make a point), and start winning immediately.  

At Northwestern, he is accustomed to using paper clips going into war against machine guns.  He knows the B1G and would be very good quickly.  

The recruiting world would open to him like never before and I believe he’d take off.  Have felt if we could get him we would be set for years.  Unless Dook called.  

Collins is close to getting fired at Northwestern. Why would IU want him?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

To those that are oddly giddy and hopeful that Chriss007 is correct.  With all due respect to him, my brother a huge Louisville fan that works in louisville with people with private jets says no way.  Brother pointed out that Mack actually has an auto extend to his contract if sanctions do come.  I asked if that meant more money as well he said not sure.  I pointed out to him what some of you have pointed out about the it was adidas not us argument failing and he still said don't see it.  If there is any truth to this what so ever, it's gotta be a raise play.  He's Paintering Louisville and this is fairly obvious to see with an unbiased eye.  

I’m skeptical, but hopeful. I don’t see the automatic extensions as a big benefit to CM. He’s been there three years and wants to win now and play in the NCAAT now, not face bans to him and his players now. With the transfer rules, how do you ask guys to stay? After reading more about him, I think uprooting his family again is a bigger issue. He’s taken his kids on recruiting trips to spend more time with them.

• Like 1

In my mind, there are only 3 tiers in this situation.

Tier 1:  Brad Stevens

Tier 2:  A pool of 7-8 guys worth hiring right now.

Tier 3:  The rest of the candidate pool, who likely would not be popular hires, nor would they bring the type of improvement that we want.

So, here's the rub.  If Stevens tells us no 3 times, we look at those 7-8 in the second tier.  The problem is that at least half of those guys are probably comfortable enough in their current position to say no to taking on a rebuild situation at IU at this time. So, what do we do?  Overpay for one of the remaining options in that pool?  Or, do we hire a temporary stop-gap like Beilien with hopes that in 3-4 years we're attractive enough that more of those 7-8 are interested?

Another advantage to the stop-gap hire is that in 3-4 years, some new options may enter that second tier.  And, if we're more attractive, we may be able to land a long term hire that way.  There are significant downsides to the stop-gap plan though.  One is recruiting.  Harder to sell a recruit to come play if they don't know who the coach is going to be their senior season.  Also, when we talk about that second tier expanding with new candidates, some of those candidates may not pan out.  We kind of got that with Archie.  If IU would have made a move earlier with Crean, Archie would not have been a candidate.  As it turned out, when we finally did, Archie was considered an excellent hire by most, but it turns out he wasn't quite ready.

Give all that, what should we do if Stevens turns us down 3 times?  I would say we ask him a 4th time to be sure.  Beyond that, I have no clue how we get this fixed. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Tier 3:  The rest of the candidate pool, who likely would not be popular hires, nor would they bring the type of improvement that we want.

So, here's the rub.  If Stevens tells us no 3 times, we look at those 7-8 in the second tier.  The problem is that at least half of those guys are probably comfortable enough in their current position to say no to taking on a rebuild situation at IU at this time. So, what do we do?  Overpay for one of the remaining options in that pool?  Or, do we hire a temporary stop-gap like Beilien with hopes that in 3-4 years we're attractive enough that more of those 7-8 are interested?

Another advantage to the stop-gap hire is that in 3-4 years, some new options may enter that second tier.  And, if we're more attractive, we may be able to land a long term hire that way.  There are significant downsides to the stop-gap plan though.  One is recruiting.  Harder to sell a recruit to come play if they don't know who the coach is going to be their senior season.  Also, when we talk about that second tier expanding with new candidates, some of those candidates may not pan out.  We kind of got that with Archie.  If IU would have made a move earlier with Crean, Archie would not have been a candidate.  As it turned out, when we finally did, Archie was considered an excellent hire by most, but it turns out he wasn't quite ready.

Give all that, what should we do if Stevens turns us down 3 times?  I would say we ask him a 4th time to be sure.  Beyond that, I have no clue how we get this fixed. 

To make your scenario even worse...if you hire a stop gap and they get us back to being solid, then we hire a new...we have the problem of installing a new system and getting players to slightly better fit THAT system. Not a massive rebuild but more tweaking.

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So you are saying Larry Brown is the guy?  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

To make your scenario even worse...if you hire a stop gap and they get us back to being solid, then we hire a new...we have the problem of installing a new system and getting players to slightly better fit THAT system. Not a massive rebuild but more tweaking.

So you are saying we hire Bo Ryan?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Seriously, look at the coaches in the Top 15 in the AP rankings:

• Mark Few - Not leaving Gonzaga
  • Juwan Howard - Not leaving Michigan
  • Scott Drew - I know this could happen, but I'm having a real hard time getting past him finishing 2nd to Cal in that cheaters poll from a few years ago.
  • Brad Underwood - Jumping from UI to IU at this time would make no sense
  • Fran McCaffery - I can't even think of a valid reason to make this hire in order to provide a counter argument.
  • Bo Huggins - Hugs is 67 years old.  
  • Chris Holtmann - See Brad Underwood
  • Nate Oates - Just signed an extension with the Tide
  • Kelvin Sampson - The sad thing is that, if he was 10 years younger and had never coached IU before, he would probably be the leading candidate
  • Jay Wright - Only way he leaves 'Nova for Indiana is if it is for the Pacers
  • Leonard Hamilton - Wins with class, but is 72 years old.
  • Eric Musselman - You could potentially get me on board with this one.  
  • Bill Self - No explanation needed
  • Greg McDermott - May not be getting many new job offers short term
  • Shaka Smart - Has always been more hype than substance
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I’m not sure why people keep talking about Stevens as an option? 

• Like 2

I don’t think IU should even bother calling Stevens. Even if he was interested, he wouldn’t leave the Celtics before their season was done, and the playoffs don’t start until the end of May. Can IU afford to be without a head coach until potentially the end of July? I really don’t think so. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I don’t think IU should even bother calling Stevens. Even if he was interested, he wouldn’t leave the Celtics before their season was done, and the playoffs don’t start until the end of May. Can IU afford to be without a head coach until potentially the end of July? I really don’t think so. 

I would agree with you 98% of the time for waiting this long on most coaches, but if Stevens said he would come to IU if we waited until after his NBA season...Indiana needs to wait on him. He would be one guy who could unify the fan base and be a virtual no risk hire.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I would agree with you 98% of the time for waiting this long on most coaches, but if Stevens said he would come to IU if we waited until after his NBA season...Indiana needs to wait on him. He would be one guy who could unify the fan base and be a virtual no risk hire.

He’s not leaving the Boston Celtics for IU. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I've already stated several times that I think he is an extreme long shot. My point is if we would catch lightning in a bottle and he did want to make that jump, I think it would be foolish for IU to say "No thanks, we won't wait a few months."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

There is a high percentage chance that you are correct.  If the timing was right there would still be a low percentage chance he comes to IU.   However, mark my words, Stevens will be fired by the Celtics within two seasons if he isn't in the Finals. 

However, offering him to be the highest paid coach in basketball would move he needle dramatically in IU's favor. (No way IU has the guts to that)

Edited by JJack

5 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I assume that Dolson would reach out to Stevens now, and if he were interested, then until the summer to make the move, rather than leave it vacant for 2 or 3 months.

Just for the sake of conversation....he should reach out to his wife. She's the decision maker and also his agent as she was highly regarded labor/employment law attorney before staying at home to raise the kids. 

PS....unless something has really, really, really changed I don't see Stevens jumping back into college hoops. Recruiting alone makes it a headache not worth it.

• Like 1

Don't think it would ever happen for a variety of reasons, but I do think that Micah Shrewsberry could be a risky, but potentially shrewd (no pun intended), under the radar hire. Has worked for Stevens and would set Purdue back a notch or two. He doesn't make since here most likely given the lack of HC experience, but he's going to be a good one I think.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I’m not sure why people keep talking about Stevens as an option? 

I'm going to continue talking about him as an option, because only Brad Stevens knows for sure what his future career goals are. As much as it irritates you that he keeps being brought up, it irritates me even more when people just give up hope of landing him because of people who think they know exactly what Brad wants.  

And, it does not really matter if our chances to land him are 20%, 2%, or .000000000000000000001%, if he is not the first phone call made if/when Archie is no longer here, then Dolson has failed at his job as Athletic Director. 

Can you imagine if we hire another up and comer who ultimately can't handle the job and UNC or Duke takes advantage of that and hires Stevens 3-4 years from now?  I can see a reporter asking him "Why UNC now and not IU 3 years ago".  How sick would it be if Stevens responds and says "IU never asked."

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Hell, I would let Dan Dakich be interim coach next year if it meant landing Brad Stevens for the '22-'23 season.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

So Coach Tom Allen just got a million dollar a year well deserved raise.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31026894/indiana-football-coach-tom-allen-gets-new-7-year-deal-1-million-annual-raise

I'm hoping this means that Dolson is determined to pay competitively to get the coach he wants (in all sports) and not that we won't be able to afford to hire a top tier basketball coach now. I have heard repeatedly that Dolson is great at raising funds and cares deeply about IU hoops, so my guess is this is a good sign, but we shall see soon enough.

• Like 5