Potential replacement coaches

The worst thing would be the scenario in which Stevens is looking to return to college coaching in 5-10 years, but our next coach does too well, maybe something like 1-2 Banners and 4-5 Big Ten Championships. I mean, how could IU justify firing the coach???? If this is what causes us to miss out on Brad, man I would be really, really mad.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

The worst thing would be the scenario in which Stevens is looking to return to college coaching in 5-10 years, but our next coach does too well, maybe something like 1-2 Banners and 4-5 Big Ten Championships. I mean, how could IU justify firing the coach???? If this is what causes us to miss out on Brad, man I would be really, really mad.

Who cares at that point. It’s possible by that point Brad would be to far removed from coaching in college to have real success. Especially in recruiting. 

I saw a quote from Archie radio show and hope it was he was misquoted.  Someone said that Archie thinks we will probably not shoot well in Lucas Oil Stadium.  I don't know the context of the question or answer but if he is going in with an attitude of defeat before the game even starts.

Can we all agree that if it ends up being offered to a ‘up and coming young coach’,  IU will do a thorough background review including input from ADs, former players, assistants etc?

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I saw a quote from Archie radio show and hope it was he was misquoted.  Someone said that Archie thinks we will probably not shoot well in Lucas Oil Stadium.  I don't know the context of the question or answer but if he is going in with an attitude of defeat before the game even starts.

He sure doesnt need to lower fans’ expectations.   

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

14 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don’t think anyone truly believes that he’s a real candidate, at least I hope not.  Most are just saying if he’s truly unhappy in the NBA, this would be the perfect time to at least ask what it would take.  Pipe dream? Absolutely.  Doesn’t hurt to ask though.  I’m done posting on this thread as well, until I know if we have moved on or not. No matter what I’m cheering for the Hoosiers!

What do you mean by "if he's truly unhappy?"

There are no indications at all that Stevens is unhappy. 

I guess it does make sense that it’s harder to shoot in a larger stadium like that because of depth perception and it being more of an open area...but my Lord this team doesn’t need that going against them. They’ve built brick walls inside Assembly Hall as it is.. Archie trying to make sure he brings up that excuse to the fullest beforehand, lol 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

It's not exactly an odd take. Teams often struggle to shoot in those more cavernous football stadiums, and this will be an empty one. 

Based on that quote, he wasn't talking about IU specifically. 

4 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I guess it does make sense that it’s harder to shoot in a larger stadium like that because of depth perception and it being more of an open area...but my Lord this team doesn’t need that going against them. They’ve built brick walls inside Assembly Hall as it is.. Archie trying to make sure he brings up that excuse to the fullest beforehand, lol 

It is harder and I even mentioned this the other day.  You just don't want your head coach coming out publicly saying that.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It is harder and I even mentioned this the other day.  You just don't want your head coach coming out publicly saying that.

Archie said "teams" not just IU...

The contortions you guys will go through to pile on is astonishing...

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What do you mean by "if he's truly unhappy?"

There are no indications at all that Stevens is unhappy. 

His wife has said he’s always working and they don’t have time for family vacations is what someone said earlier in the thread.  I’ve heard similar things but still don’t think he comes back to college.

Well he might be right. Large gyms/stadiums can be tough places to shoot in. Especially when the are empty. I’ve coached many games in settings that I’ve told high school kids to get to the rim and not settle because of such reasons and that gym is a fraction of Lucas oil. 

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He said it could’ve been a misquote in his original post so.....

I think it's probably an accurate quote. If he was just talking about IU he could've just stopped after the word "ball". And if he was talking about multiple days (the word "week" was in the post) then I don't see how he could've been talking about just IU.

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

His wife has said he’s always working and they don’t have time for family vacations is what someone said earlier in the thread.  I’ve heard similar things but still don’t think he comes back to college.

All indications have been that they're really happy there and his wife loves Boston. 

Heck, she's the one that negotiated his extension, as she serves as his agent. 

Archived