Potential replacement coaches

Just now, RoadToZion said:

Fellas Brad Stevens isn't coming here. I've been very clear with my displeasure of this regime this season, but we need to be realistic with our options.

I personally think the 10 million buyout isn't a big deal, IU is swimming with money even with the losses due to the virus.

What it comes down to is this.....

Who would be our replacement that is > Archie that is realistically available. IU does not want to be in this position again in 4 years. Scott Dolson is not dumb, he LOVES IU basketball. I trust him to make the right decision. Do I think he has sent out feelers to coaches in the NCAA? Probably. That's the smart thing to do.

I think we all need to be ready for a 5th year with Archie. Whether we like it or not.

I agree with everything but the last paragraph. Dolson under huge pressure to get rid of Miller I don’t think he disagrees with that but we shall see in the days to come 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cutter said:

I agree with everything but the last paragraph. Dolson under huge pressure to get rid of Miller I don’t think he disagrees with that but we shall see in the days to come 

same.  i definitely agree with everything else.  i have no info., but it sure seems like a change is coming.  that said, i will say again, if we can't get the right guy now, i'd rather wait another year rather than making another mistake.  

4 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Fellas Brad Stevens isn't coming here. I've been very clear with my displeasure of this regime this season, but we need to be realistic with our options.

I personally think the 10 million buyout isn't a big deal, IU is swimming with money even with the losses due to the virus.

Who would be our replacement that is > Archie that is realistically available. IU does not want to be in this position again in 4 years. Scott Dolson is not dumb, he LOVES IU basketball. I trust him to make the right decision. Do I think he has sent out feelers to coaches in the NCAA? Probably. That's the smart thing to do.

I think we all need to be ready for a 5th year with Archie. Whether we like it or not.

If he's brought back there's like a 95% chance he'll be fired next year.  Recruiting will completely die.  Fans will completely throw in the towel.  Also, schools like Kansas, Arizona, even Duke, UNC, Syracuse, etc could all possibly have openings next year.  It is now or never.

Sorry for being realistic. Everyone is pissed off at Archie, thats obvious. But there isn't a good enough replacement to get rid of him and start from scratch again.

Either a home run hire, or bust.

And theres only about 3 names on that list. None of which are currently available.

If he does come back, people should not lose their minds if he gets an extension.  One scenario is to throw an extension out there with the buyout dropping really low.  It becomes like a non-guaranteed contract in football.  That way, he’d be able to recruit and say that he’s under contract and we would be able to get out.  

2022 is a key recruiting year.  We have Gunn.  We are after forward Karaban, guard Brown, some bigs like Phillips.  We need to land some talent regardless of who our coach is for the long term.  You don’t want the cupboard bare like when Crean got here.  

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Archie said "teams" not just IU...

The contortions you guys will go through to pile on is astonishing...

Not contorting here at all, but when Archie said 'Teams', I think he meant the acronym T.E.A.M.S.                   

Trayce

JeromE

Aljami

ArMaan

PhiniSee

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Not contorting here at all, but when Archie said 'Teams', I think he meant the acronym T.E.A.M.S.                   

Trayce

JeromE

Aljami

ArMaan

PhiniSee

I was thinking that if the norm is for the shooters to be a bit off in a dome, maybe it'll have our off shooters dead on!

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If he does come back, people should not lose their minds if he gets an extension.  One scenario is to throw an extension out there with the buyout dropping really low.  It becomes like a non-guaranteed contract in football.  That way, he’d be able to recruit and say that he’s under contract and we would be able to get out.  

2022 is a key recruiting year.  We have Gunn.  We are after forward Karaban, guard Brown, some bigs like Phillips.  We need to land some talent regardless of who our coach is for the long term.  You don’t want the cupboard bare like when Crean got here.  

The equal opposite of this was Coach Tom Allen and his interview yesterday, speaking specifically to parents that ask if he is committed to being there.  Everyone should take a listen.  Man I love that guy.  

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think the reasonable course of action coming is that Archie will be given and extension with a buyout he agreed to that will go into affect late spring early summer when Stevens is then signed on as coach. 😎

The transfer market could be huge should CAM remain for one more year(21-22 season).  IF he lands say two transfers and they can shoot the ball(Parker Stewart will help with shooting but still need a stretch 4 that can step out and hit a 3) next year could be one that nets CAM another prove it year in say year 6.  

The question becomes, say we get a transfer or two, Parker Stewart has a big impact and we make the tourney next year do you stay with CAM or move on?  

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think you are probably right. IF CAM comes back for next season I wouldn't be shocked if IU gives him a longer contract/low buyout similar to Harbaugh at UM. IU should be careful though...recruits aren't stupid and can read between the lines. I'm not convinced recruits will buy into Archie being here past next season if that scenario plays out. Having said that, some recruits will still come to IU to play at IU...just like in football some recruits will have their hearts set on playing at Michigan despite the coach. But ultimately, I think the recruiting would still suffer if perception is Archie is a lame duck coach.

We can speculate until we are blue in the face but If Dolson has truly studied the landscape and talked to agents...what if he has a good idea that he may be able to land a big fish in 2022 that he can’t land now?   As RTZ suggests, he’d be playing chess and not checkers if he holds back for a year.  We would have no way of knowing any of that.  

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don't think any recruits are going to be fooled by a sham extension.  Guys like Painter, Izzo, Mack, Cal, etc would use that against him all day long.  It's either a real extension or recruiting is dead.

44 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Agreed Stevens is not coming but sill make the offer to see. In terms of a change in coach I personally would go for John Beilein. If Archie is back for a 5th year so be it the team will get my support regardless.

24 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Sorry for being realistic. Everyone is pissed off at Archie, thats obvious. But there isn't a good enough replacement to get rid of him and start from scratch again.

And theres only about 3 names on that list. None of which are currently available.

I agree in general that making a move now would be a mistake if you're not confident you could get an upgrade. But I guess it depends on who you think the 3 HRs are, and what reason to think they'd be available and interested next year if not now. 

If Mack is interested, I can't see waiting until next year. You may just find yourself waiting perpetually for one of those HR candidates.

Just now, 5fouls said:

10 straight wins, we're National Champs, and this whole conversation is moot.

If you throw '75 and '76 out, how many times has IU won 10 games in a row since 1970?  1980?  1990?  2000?  2010?

To do it at the most needed time would be a feat for the ages.  Similar to what NC State did in '83 and 'Nova in '85.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Recruits care if a coach is gonna be there for their entire "4 year career?"  Maybe in the old days...not now.

The top 5 stars probably don't if they are planning on being one and done, or maybe two and done...but I would think most 4 stars would care about the longevity of the coach.

26 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I understand what you're saying.  I do think we need a home run hire.  Who are the 3 names on the list?  When do you think they will be available?  If the speculation is they won't come to IU now, why would they come later when the program may likely be in a worse position than it is now?

3 minutes ago, rico said:

If you throw '75 and '76 out, how many times has IU won 10 games in a row since 1970?  1980?  1990?  2000?  2010?

To do it at the most needed time would be a feat for the ages.  Similar to what NC State did in '83 and 'Nova in '85.

IU?  I was talking about Colgate.  

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We can speculate until we are blue in the face but If Dolson has truly studied the landscape and talked to agents...what if he has a good idea that he may be able to land a big fish in 2022 that he can’t land now?   As RTZ suggests, he’d be playing chess and not checkers if he holds back for a year.  We would have no way of knowing any of that.  

Agree.  Although I have to question (out of sheer ignorance) what the scenario is that would have a coach available next year who isn't this year.  If solely because of contract restrictions there's a real degree of gambling involved with such a strategy.

At the least it all makes for a fun topic for speculation.  Especially while the on-court performance and recruiting prospects doesn't.

Archived