Potential replacement coaches

14 hours ago, IUrocker said:

I guess it does make sense that it’s harder to shoot in a larger stadium like that because of depth perception and it being more of an open area...but my Lord this team doesn’t need that going against them. They’ve built brick walls inside Assembly Hall as it is.. Archie trying to make sure he brings up that excuse to the fullest beforehand, lol 

Assembly Hall is one of the most shooter friendly arenas in the country imo. Granted I’ve never played there but been down to the floor and played in enough big arenas etc..heck opposing teams always seem to shoot well there so there is that to back my claim up as well. If our team can’t shoot in AH they can’t shoot anywhere.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I will say, if Archie is brought back, which I happen to be in favor of if there isn't a clear upgrade, I'm not going to be the least bit shocked if he rights the ship and is here for a long time. 

I think it'll take a few years to win back some of you, but Archie is a good coach at to @IUFLA's point, he has had a lot of bad breaks in his tenure here. 

He has to adjust some of his coaching philosophies for that scenario to work out.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Painter would be crazy to change jobs right now.  He's going to have a very good team the next 3-4 years.  

He'd be able to recruit a lot better at Arizona.  Plus he'd be in a much easier conference vs the meat grinder B1G.  Arizona is also a much better place to live.  But yeah, pretty unlikely. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Painter would be crazy to change jobs right now.  He's going to have a very good team the next 3-4 years.  

Ivey is turning into Ayo.  They have shooters, slashers, muscle, beef, size.  More talent coming.  Williams looked pissed on the bench.  Maybe we can snag him in a transfer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I seriously could not be an IU fan if Cal ever became coach of the Hoosiers.  If he got fired after one game, I would become a fan again.  But, for that one game, I would be rooting for the other team.

The biggest problem I have with Cal is that he isn't winning games for the Cream and Crimson but rather the Blue and White.   Before my wife and I were married I couldn't stand her because of the guy she was dating.  As soon as she came around and joined the home team I been in love ever since. 

• Haha 1

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

He'd be able to recruit a lot better at Arizona.  Plus he'd be in a much easier conference vs the meat grinder B1G.  Arizona is also a much better place to live.  But yeah, pretty unlikely. 

Arizona could be facing rather severe sanctions.  No way would he give up a Final Four caliber team (they will be next year) at his alma mater to coach a team that might not be eligible for the next couple of tournaments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ivey is turning into Ayo.  They have shooters, slashers, muscle, beef, size.  More talent coming.  Williams looked pissed on the bench.  Maybe we can snag him in a transfer.  

With Furst coming in there's going to be playing time issues.  Morton doesn't see the court as much as he

would at many other places.   They have a good problem to have right now. 

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Sorry for being realistic. Everyone is pissed off at Archie, thats obvious. But there isn't a good enough replacement to get rid of him and start from scratch again.

Either a home run hire, or bust.

And theres only about 3 names on that list. None of which are currently available.

There is one thing unrealistic in what you say as there are about 10 or eleven coaches in the big ten alone that are better than Miller expand that nationally and there are dozens and I am sure we will be in a position to land a really good coach IU is a great basketball job

Edited by Cutter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Many good points above....they've pushed me into the 'CAM has to be fired now' camp:

- You may say that a coach who will be available this year will be available next year. To this I say, then get them to commit this year because waiting a year (losing out on recruits) will make their job that much harder if we wait. 

- There's a possibility CAM will have moderate success next year, which will put Dolson in an even tougher position. IMO, moderate success (i.e. a 7 seed) doesn't solidify that CAM is the right man for the job. It most likely creates a scenario where we kick the can down the road, aka another few years of coaching purgatory.

- I don't buy that there isn't an upgrade out there. Will it be a 'home run' hire? I guess that depends on who you're asking. Drew, Mussleman, Beard, Oates, Mack, etc. are upgrades, IMO. Maybe a few of those guys say no, but I don't agree we can't at least get one of them THIS OFF-SEASON.

If you HONESTLY don't think we can get one of those guy then all I have to say is I sure hope Dolson doesn't share your confidence. This program has a wang; let's start throwing it around. Recent success is one thing, but we are endowed where it matters. Stop the 'why would Drew want to leave Baylor for Indiana?' crybaby BS. Are you kidding me? If coaches are afraid of the pressure Indiana brings then screw em. Get a guy with balls. (sorry for all the genitalia metaphors). Let's start acting like we are one of the most important programs in CBB because we are!

Per Forbes:

College Basketball’s Most Valuable Teams

Rank Team Conference 3-Year Average Revenue (Million) 3-Year Average Profit (Million) Rank Last Year
1 Kentucky SEC $56.0 $31.2 2
2 Louisville ACC $53.6 $29.2 1
3 Indiana Big Ten $37.5 $17.1 3
4 Duke ACC $35.4 $14.6 4
5 Kansas Big 12 $34.1 $18.7 5
6 Syracuse ACC $31.9 $17.6 7
7 Ohio State Big Ten $30.1 $9.6 6
8 North Carolina ACC $29.9 $17.5 11
9 Michigan State Big Ten $28.5 $9.3 12
10 Illinois Big Ten $27.6 $12.9 9
11 UCLA Pac-12 $26.3 $16.4 N/A
12 Wisconsin Big Ten $25.3 $14.5 10
13 Arkansas SEC $24.7 $13.9 14
14 Michigan Big Ten $24.1 $11.3 15
15 Arizona Pac-12 $23.9 $13.0 8
16 Maryland Big Ten $22.5 $10.4 13
17 Marquette Big East $20.3 $7.3 19
18 Minnesota Big Ten $19.7 $9.8 N/A
19 Alabama SEC $19.3 $4.9 20
20 Texas Big 12 $18.7 $1.0 16

I don’t see Texas tech or Baylor on that list. Outside of Stevens those two would be my first calls. 1 they coach in one of the toughest power 5 conferences in the country...if not as good or better then B1G. 2 the style of play in the Big12 is closest in terms of finesse and physicality as the B1G. 3 regionality is most similar to B1G as well for recruiting. My feeling is if you can be successful in that conference...you can get us to the top of our conference. Also...coaching wise our best coach since Knight coaching wise was Sampson from Oklahoma...so maybe we get our next good one from there. After that I would be interested in other power 5 conference coaches as well. Oats, Musselman, Pearl etc etc 

• Like 2

The majority of this team is returning, and if TJD comes back, we lose all of 1 significant starter, who has a lot of holes in his game. If we're not competing for the B1G title next year with that returning, with that philosophy of getting older happening next year with a significant portion being upperclassmen, then that's a failure and would be worthy of a change, IMO, even if they make the tournament with a decent seed. I do get that it'll be tougher to make a change in that situation.

The biggest question for me with CAM is can he learn? He's a young coach that has obviously made mistakes, but can he adjust his program to be more successful? I don't think we've seen that in the 4 years to this point, though.

25 minutes ago, JJack said:

The biggest problem I have with Cal is that he isn't winning games for the Cream and Crimson but rather the Blue and White.   Before my wife and I were married I couldn't stand her because of the guy she was dating.  As soon as she came around and joined the home team I been in love ever since. 

Cal couldn’t coach at IU. The fan base would flip their lid if he didn’t have an Indiana kid on the roster. Imagine every year he recruits 5* out of state kids and we just make sweet 16s and occasional final fours. Unless he changes his recruiting philosophy he couldn’t do it here. At least at UK they never have high school kids worthy of playing there. They have one Kentucky kid on the team this year that barely sees the floor and half the fan base wants Cal fired because he doesn’t start him over an NBA prospect. It would be a million times worse here.

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

The majority of this team is returning, and if TJD comes back, we lose all of 1 significant starter, who has a lot of holes in his game. If we're not competing for the B1G title next year with that returning, with that philosophy of getting older happening next year with a significant portion being upperclassmen, then that's a failure and would be worthy of a change, IMO, even if they make the tournament with a decent seed. I do get that it'll be tougher to make a change in that situation.

The biggest question for me with CAM is can he learn? He's a young coach that has obviously made mistakes, but can he adjust his program to be more successful? I don't think we've seen that in the 4 years to this point, though.

Can he learn?  Good question and here’s my observation ... his best players at Dayton were always guards. At IU, they’ve been big men.  So the offense the last 4 years mainly ran thru Morgan and TJD (even the Romeo year).  Why was his offense so much better there than the last 4 years?  Is it IUs talent level?  Do we have mainly A10 guys on the roster?   

My question/observation is, does Archie go back to his old Dayton ways without TJD here next year and maybe things are actually more efficient?   I know that seems bass ackwards to take out your most talented player and get better ... and probably the sign of a bad coach/system ... but I’m still scratching my head why the offense is night and day compared to Dayton. 

There were so many reasons to recruit TJD, but maybe Archie’s system (whatever it is) is better with a guard-focus and not a big man focus. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Speculation that Painter would be interested in Arizona job

To get out of the Big Ten? I think Painter should jump on it.

He would compete for conference titles in the PAC every year. That conference has been down and will be down for awhile.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cal couldn’t coach at IU. The fan base would flip their lid if he didn’t have an Indiana kid on the roster. Imagine every year he recruits 5* out of state kids and we just make sweet 16s and occasional final fours. Unless he changes his recruiting philosophy he couldn’t do it here. At least at UK they never have high school kids worthy of playing there. They have one Kentucky kid on the team this year that barely sees the floor and half the fan base wants Cal fired because he doesn’t start him over an NBA prospect. It would be a million times worse here.

I don't disagree with you, but maybe our opinions and preconceived bias against people and schools are the issue.  What if he wins.... big?   The goal of playing basketball games is to win.   According to my knowledge Cal is clean by NCAA official records. (Hard to believe I know)  

39 minutes ago, Cutter said:

There is one thing unrealistic in what you say as there are about 10 or eleven coaches in the big ten alone that are better than Miller expand that nationally and there are dozens and I am sure we will be in a position to land a really good coach IU is a great basketball job

News flash................................

Coaches don't line up for the IU job like they used to.

Also read my post. IU won't hire someone unless its a slam dunk. Who in the Big Ten like you say would leave their current job to coach IU that would make our program great again.

Crickets. . . . . .

6 minutes ago, JJack said:

I don't disagree with you, but maybe our opinions and preconceived bias against people and schools are the issue.  What if he wins.... big?   The goal of playing basketball games is to win.   According to my knowledge Cal is clean by NCAA official records. (Hard to believe I know)  

Never want Calapari even close to coaching here.  Don't want a roster full of one and done players.

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

News flash................................

Coaches don't line up for the IU job like they used to.

Also read my post. IU won't hire someone unless its a slam dunk. Who in the Big Ten like you say would leave their current job to coach IU that would make our program great again.

Crickets. . . . . .

Well, if you could choose anyone in the Big Ten regardless if they would come, who would make IU great again?

Painter? No

Izzo? No

Holtman? Maybe? Probably the closest

Howard? Maybe?

......and that's about it.

• Like 2

Just now, JugRox said:

Well, if you could choose anyone in the Big Ten regardless if they would come, who would make IU great again?

Painter? No

Izzo? No

Holtman? Maybe? Probably the closest

Howard? Maybe?

......and that's about it.

My point exactly.

Hotlmann already turned us down once.