Potential replacement coaches

These arguments are all pointless until after IU loses to Rutgers for a third time this season on Thursday. Then we'll see what happens. Maybe Dolson gives Archie a vote of confidence or maybe he gets canned. Gut feeling is it will be the later unless something crazy happens. 

25 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Can he learn?  Good question and here’s my observation ... his best players at Dayton were always guards. At IU, they’ve been big men.  So the offense the last 4 years mainly ran thru Morgan and TJD (even the Romeo year).  Why was his offense so much better there than the last 4 years?  Is it IUs talent level?  Do we have mainly A10 guys on the roster?   

My question/observation is, does Archie go back to his old Dayton ways without TJD here next year and maybe things are actually more efficient?   I know that seems bass ackwards to take out your most talented player and get better ... and probably the sign of a bad coach/system ... but I’m still scratching my head why the offense is night and day compared to Dayton. 

There were so many reasons to recruit TJD, but maybe Archie’s system (whatever it is) is better with a guard-focus and not a big man focus. 

Seems sensible. He's certainly had, at best, below average guard play in his 4 years here, and next year should be his best group since coming to IU. I also don't think it's the end of the world if we lose TJD. Would be great to have him back, but sometimes being singularly focused on getting the ball to one guy (especially after Franklin's injury) can cause stagnation problems.

I have no idea what the issue is on the defensive end, and what changes need to be made there. Certainly seems like there's enough talent to be better at it than they have been the last few weeks.

11 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

My point exactly.

Hotlmann already turned us down once.

Did he turn us down? I've never heard that was the case. 

And if he did, was it along the lines of what he said to OSU when they initially reached out (with no offer on the table): "I'm happy where I'm at"?

From what I've been reading/hearing, any reaching out Glass made to potential candidates was just to cover his bases - he wanted Archie from the very beginning and didn't realistically 'offer' anything to anyone other than Archie. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

The majority of this team is returning, and if TJD comes back, we lose all of 1 significant starter, who has a lot of holes in his game. If we're not competing for the B1G title next year with that returning, with that philosophy of getting older happening next year with a significant portion being upperclassmen, then that's a failure and would be worthy of a change, IMO, even if they make the tournament with a decent seed. I do get that it'll be tougher to make a change in that situation.

The biggest question for me with CAM is can he learn? He's a young coach that has obviously made mistakes, but can he adjust his program to be more successful? I don't think we've seen that in the 4 years to this point, though.

Did you copy and paste this from last year?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

News flash................................

Coaches don't line up for the IU job like they used to.

Also read my post. IU won't hire someone unless its a slam dunk. Who in the Big Ten like you say would leave their current job to coach IU that would make our program great again.

Crickets. . . . . .

Lol quite drinking your negative juice or maybe I need to drink some lol

Edited by Cutter

34 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Why couldn't they follow him to Arizona? 

If those kids insist, good for Painter, but Painter is a PU alum and probably won't recommend it to those kids....is my guess. But in the first place, I'm not even sure if Arizona is a better job than PU. Gotta say Pac 12 is an easier league though. 

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Did he turn us down? I've never heard that was the case. 

And if he did, was it along the lines of what he said to OSU when they initially reached out (with no offer on the table): "I'm happy where I'm at"?

From what I've been reading/hearing, any reaching out Glass made to potential candidates was just to cover his bases - he wanted Archie from the very beginning and didn't realistically 'offer' anything to anyone other than Archie. 

I can't remember exactly if he turned us down or if he just didn't want to coach here.

The point still remains the same.

IU never went after Holtmann so it's easy for him to say that. It's the same as Aaron Henry saying that IU wasn't in his final 4 because they stopped recruiting him after Anderson and Hunter committed. Glass locked in on Archie and that was his guy. He didn't look at anyone else. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, JugRox said:

To get out of the Big Ten? I think Painter should jump on it.

He would compete for conference titles in the PAC every year. That conference has been down and will be down for awhile.

The only and I mean only reason he wouldn’t jump at that is because he’s a PU alum. AZ is a great gig. May prove too tempting 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The only and I mean only reason he wouldn’t jump at that is because he’s a PU alum. AZ is a great gig. May prove too tempting 

Not when they are going to get nailed by the NCAA. Painter isn't going anywhere. 

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

I can't remember exactly if he turned us down or if he just didn't want to coach here.

The point still remains the same.

I'll just say that he probably didn't want to coach at OSU either until they made a real offer. He did deny OSU once. No active coach is going to publicly say they are interested in another job while currently employed. Too many things can fall through and if word of legitimate interest gets out then he's lost the confidence of his team and his administration.

I understand the perception you have based on recent history. I guess that I just don't want to believe it. I think if we go after somebody hard we'll get them. Again, CAM was Glass's first choice. He got his man, but perhaps he didn't reach high enough. 

• Like 3

There is zero chance Matt Painter leaves a Final Four level roster in Purdue to rebuild in Arizona.  Zero chance.  He's going to have his alma mater in the Preseason Top 10 next season with a big and versatile roster at his disposal.  If this was 7th place in the Big Ten Purdue, he might take a look.  But next year may be the most complete roster he has ever had.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is zero chance Matt Painter leaves a Final Four level roster in Purdue to rebuild in Arizona.  Zero chance.  He's going to have his alma mater in the Preseason Top 10 next season with a big and versatile roster at his disposal.  If this was 7th place in the Big Ten Purdue, he might take a look.  But next year may be the most complete roster he has ever had.  

Why not just take that roster with him and add to what Arizona has? Nobody sits out.

I don’t think he goes, but if he can get specific players to come with him, roster is not the reason to stay.