Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My choices (regardless of availability/likelihood):

1 - Jay Wright (2x champ, only K and Roy have more and they're too old to do much here)

2 - Brad Stevens 

3 - Scott Drew

4 - Chris Beard

5 - Nate Oats

6 - Eric Musselman

7 - Chris Mack

8 - John Beilien (only with former IU player as coach in waiting, preferably Calbert then Fife)

9 - Keith Smart

10 - Steve Alford

I don't understand why some are down on Oates. Dude has won big (for the level) everywhere he's been. He's on a tier below Drew and Beard for me due to lack of longevity at the P5 level, but he's right there when th Mack for me, ahead of Musselman, Beilein, and the various IU alums.

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't understand why some are down on Oates. Dude has won big (for the level) everywhere he's been. He's on a tier below Drew and Beard for me due to lack of longevity at the P5 level, but he's right there when th Mack for me, ahead of Musselman, Beilein, and the various IU alums.

Archie won big too. SEC is average.    He may very well end up being a great coach, but the timing for him at IU right now is not right.   IU needs a proven guy from a proven conference.  

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Was he the coach for Buffalo a few yrs ago...made them ranked I think?

Since this is all speculation, I'd like to throw out a thought: I'd guess Stevens would be the #1 choice of 95+% of posters/fans - what kind of roster do you think he'd put on the floor?

At Butler he had great teams with very few top-25 level recruits.  Would he follow that blueprint, or pursue one and done types now that he was at a high profile school and with NBA experience?  Would he have the same level of success, would it change how he coaches or how his team plays?  Or would it be much like the BU days where we wpuld frequently be "less talented" but better prepared/coached?

I'd love to find out and am as confident as possible his teams would be a pleasure to watch with plenty of success.

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Kent definitely wants an Indiana guy.  Dan will say the same today.  

So does that mean Fife, smart, Alford, Woodson or Wittman?

Is Beard an Indiana guy because he coached with Knight?

Is Drew an Indiana guy bc he spent plenty of time / coached in the state?

9 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Since this is all speculation, I'd like to throw out a thought: I'd guess Stevens would be the #1 choice of 95+% of posters/fans - what kind of roster do you think he'd put on the floor?

At Butler he had great teams with very few top-25 level recruits.  Would he follow that blueprint, or pursue one and done types now that he was at a high profile school and with NBA experience?  Would he have the same level of success, would it change how he coaches or how his team plays?  Or would it be much like the BU days where we wpuld frequently be "less talented" but better prepared/coached?

I'd love to find out and am as confident as possible his teams would be a pleasure to watch with plenty of success.

I think Stevens would be like 100000%

3 hours ago, Bustout said:

Definitely a good debate here.  Drew has a longer track record - so probably a safer play.   And literally rebuilt Baylor from nothing. 

Also, while both teams are good on both side of the ball, compared to the pendulum of our last two coaches, Drew is more offense-focused and Beard is more Defense.  

Beard is alleged to love Texas.  If he came here and the Texas job opened up in say 5 years, would he bolt?   Drew has commented on Baylor being a football school, so IU could be his destination job given his time in the state.   

Also - if Baylor wins it all ... would Drew actually leave or wait a year?

Scott Drew is my top pick from the list of realistically possible coaches being thrown around. This almost guarantees that Scott Drew won't be the next coach. lol

The fact that he built up his team from literally nothing to being constantly good shouldn't be ignored. His teams have gotten progressively better as he's learned on the job.

He's shown a willingness to make changes to his system - he switched the defense his teams use from zone to m2m. After that they improved defensively and have been very good the last few years.

I like that his most recent teams have been elite both offensively and defensively.

He's spent all but 1 year of HC in a P5 conference. 

He's succeeded with decent but not elite talent so he develops his players and the team plays better than the sum of its parts.

Has ties to the state of Indiana.

56 minutes ago, Bustout said:

So does that mean Fife, smart, Alford, Woodson or Wittman?

Is Beard an Indiana guy because he coached with Knight?

Is Drew an Indiana guy bc he spent plenty of time / coached in the state?

Yeah I'm puzzled too. Sure I would want an IU guy who wholeheartedly embraces what IU stands for...the tradition, the former players, and better personal connection to Coach Knight. I wanna see all stakeholders of IU basketball finally come together for the brighter future. But who's that gonna be? I kinda like Fife, but this gig is too big and too early for him right now. Then, there's only one guy left. The one and only Alford. Could Alford do at IU what he couldn't do at other places?

2 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Yeah I'm puzzled too. Sure I would want an IU guy who wholeheartedly embraces what IU stands for...the tradition, the former players, and better personal connection to Coach Knight. I wanna see all stakeholders of IU basketball finally come together for the brighter future. But who's that gonna be? I kinda like Fife, but this gig is too big and too early for him right now. Then, there's only one guy left. The one and only Alford. Could Alford do at IU what he couldn't do at other places?

I´ll tell you what I´m going to do. No matter who it is (assuming it´s not CAM) I am going to give whoever gets the gig a fighting chance. Whether I like the hire or not, makes no difference at all. I cannot go into a new coach´s tenure with a sour taste. Only way to go is up...

We all have our opinions on who we want it to be...will it happen? No clue. I just hope the fanbase will get behind whoever it is from day 1, and give them a chance, even when we lose a game we shouldn´t. 

6 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

No

6 hours ago, Feathery said:

Chris Beard.  So if I’m reading this right it seems like Beard only has a buyout of $3 million for schools outside of the Big XII and schools inside the conference it’s  greatly increased. 

A $3 mil buyout to get one of the top coaches is the country is a no brainer. 

edit: drops to just over $2 mil on April 1st. 

hos last two years has not been great

Career Overall   200 141 59 .705 16.14 6.77          
  Little Rock   35 30 5 .857 7.12 -1.76          
  Texas Tech   165 111 54 .673 17.94 8.47          
2015-16 Little Rock Sun Belt 35 30 5 .857 7.12 -1.76       Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion; NCAA Tournament  

2016-17 Texas Tech Big 12 32 18 14 .563 14.11 7.86          
2017-18 Texas Tech Big 12 37 27 10 .730 19.38 9.60   6 14 NCAA Tournament  
2018-19 Texas Tech Big 12 38 31 7 .816 22.79 9.53   7 9 Reg. Season Champion; NCAA Tournament; NCAA FF  
2019-20 Texas Tech Big 12 31 18 13 .581 16.83 8.41 13 11      
2020-21 Texas Tech Big 12 27 17 10 .630 16.59 6.96 14 7      

Just now, Coach Robby said:

I´ll tell you what I´m going to do. No matter who it is (assuming it´s not CAM) I am going to give whoever gets the gig a fighting chance. Whether I like the hire or not, makes no difference at all. I cannot go into a new coach´s tenure with a sour taste. Only way to go is up...

We all have our opinions on who we want it to be...will it happen? No clue. I just hope the fanbase will get behind whoever it is from day 1, and give them a chance, even when we lose a game we shouldn´t. 

I'm with you. We all worry about who it's gonna be before the announcement. But once we get a new coach, we gotta get behind him and support. Who knows? Alford could be totally rejuvenated and do some magic. Or Fife turns out to be a mature coach way beyond his years.  

13 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Scott Drew is my top pick from the list of realistically possible coaches being thrown around. This almost guarantees that Scott Drew won't be the next coach. lol

The fact that he built up his team from literally nothing to being constantly good shouldn't be ignored. His teams have gotten progressively better as he's learned on the job.

He's shown a willingness to make changes to his system - he switched the defense his teams use from zone to m2m. After that they improved defensively and have been very good the last few years.

I like that his most recent teams have been elite both offensively and defensively.

He's spent all but 1 year of HC in a P5 conference. 

He's succeeded with decent but not elite talent so he develops his players and the team plays better than the sum of its parts.

Has ties to the state of Indiana.

All true.  He’s at the top of my realistic wishlist too.  But here’s another question - why wasn’t he even sniffed four years ago?  What do Glass/Dolson know that we don’t?  There are some documented red flags with him - but are there more too?    At least begs the question.      

Or was it moreso Glass just felt Archie was better all around, better long term, and better at the time?

Archived