Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Either would be very good but I'm starting to like Musselman a lot.  He coached in the NBA for years so that will help with recruiting.  He's definitely used to the spotlight so I'm sure he could handle the fan base.   

Musselman is really growing on me. The dude has proven he can win games at pretty much any level and do so in short order. Aside from his less than great NBA record, he's be really good everywhere else.... and he was in AWFUL situations in the NBA.

He's never actually gotten a shot at a particularly strong situation. He's from Ohio and the quotes he gave about Indiana/Assembly Hall show that he gets the historical significance of the program. 

I would honestly be pretty excited if that is who we end up with. 

2 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I was thinking about the Eagles situation ironically.   Pedersen wanted to promote a bunch of his guys and Lurie wanted bigger names.  So Pedersen got fired.         Then they hired a guy nobody outside of Indiana had ever heard about.  

It wasn't so much about big names, he just wanted changes. He didn't want the answer to be "run it back with our guys" and it will be fine. 

Pedersen didn't want to make any changes, and that is when he got fired. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Musselman is really growing on me. The dude has proven he can win games at pretty much any level and do so in short order. Aside from his less than great NBA record, he's be really good everywhere else.... and he was in AWFUL situations in the NBA.

He's never actually gotten a shot at a particularly strong situation. He's from Ohio and the quotes he gave about Indiana/Assembly Hall show that he gets the historical significance of the program. 

Agree with this. If we can't land one of the bigger names I already mentioned as my preference, I think Musselman would be an excellent fallback guy who has a low buyout and IU should not have too much trouble getting him to come on board.

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Agree with this. If we can't land one of the bigger names I already mentioned as my preference, I think Musselman would be an excellent fallback guy who has a low buyout and IU should not have too much trouble getting him to come on board.

Musselman coached Keith Smart twice - I wonder if bringing Keith on as an assistant would be a viable option? 

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I'd be ecstatic with him or Drew or Beard.  But based what guys like Dakich and Sterling are saying I think there will be tons of pressure to hire an IU guy.  That would be an enormous gaffe IMO from which the program would never recover but it wouldn't surprise me.  I just have no faith in Dolson to make the smart decision. 

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah I'd be ecstatic with him or Drew or Beard.  But based what guys like Dakich and Sterling are saying I think there will be tons of pressure to hire an IU guy.  That would be an enormous gaffe IMO from which the program would never recover but it wouldn't surprise me.  I just have no faith in Dolson to make the smart decision. 

I use to agree that it didn't need to be an IU guy but I to the point that I would be alright with it.  We have tried everything else and didn't work so why not try this if we can't get a legit power 5 coach.

I know half of this thread is debating whether or not someone is a "realistic" choice but thought i'd throw these stats in here. According to 2020 attendance records collected by the NCAA, we were top ten in average home games and top ten in general attendance (home, away, neutral) . Also, the big ten had the highest average attendance than any other conference.

My point of showing that is that I refuse to believe (as of right now) that the IU job is viewed as undesirable. Even through this dumpster fire, we were still putting butts in seats in year 3 with of the Archie miller show. Other schools we were ahead of/didn't even make the cut on that list: Gonzaga, Baylor, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Bama, Auburn, FL State, Oklahoma.

I don't know what some of these buyout are like but Archie makes more $ than half of the schools I just listed above, and all of those schools have better coaches. Instead of giving up hope and settling for an Alford/Fife, let's hope a guy like Dolson who grew up going to Coach Knight camps and being an equipment manager during the peak of IU basketball can drill home how special this program can be under the right coach. Why wouldn't some of these guys want more $, a larger recruiting budget, quality in-state recruits, better facilities, and clearly a consistently passionate fan base that will never make you feel like you are in the shadows of the football program. 

IMG_2395.PNG

IMG_2396.PNG

40 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I like your optimism but you're way too optimistic. We've watched this same drama for 4 years, and I just can't expect any drastic changes in the off season. If it really has to happen, Archie needs to let go of some of his assistants or to hire (like I said) consultants. Archie seems to be a stubborn guy, and would he hire someone from outside and let them teach his players? That takes a lot of courage and also humility. Archie didn't strike me as that type of guy. 

Optimism has served me pretty well overall, and I'm too old and/or too stubborn to change... :)

And I don't know the inner-dynamics of the team, but if Archie thinks he can improve the coaching staff, then I'm all for it...

But all things considered and with no impactful transfers, I think we're in pretty good shape...We saw what this team can do in flashes, even with poor guard play...The team that had Rutgers down by 10 last night just needs to be able to sustain that effort over 40 minutes, and find a couple of guys that can hit open shots, both close in and from outside...

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Nope.  No way.  Dakich says it must be a guy who played for Bob Knight.   We can't have anyone who coached for Bob Knight.  That's just crazy talk.  

If DD knew jack squat about coaching he'd still be coaching. 

Just now, addictedtoIU said:

Chris Beard and Pat Knight combo is actually quite tempting. 

Serious question...

What would Pat Knight bring? I mean a connection to his old man, sure...But coaching acumen? He's been living off RMK's coattails on that for years...Take up a coaching slot just for that connection? 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Serious question...

What would Pat Knight bring? I mean a connection to his old man, sure...But coaching acumen? He's been living off RMK's coattails on that for years...Take up a coaching slot just for that connection? 

wow you are so anti!

Just now, jojo123 said:

wow you are so anti!

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Serious question...

Yes.

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Scott Drew is my top pick from the list of realistically possible coaches being thrown around. This almost guarantees that Scott Drew won't be the next coach. lol

The fact that he built up his team from literally nothing to being constantly good shouldn't be ignored. His teams have gotten progressively better as he's learned on the job.

He's shown a willingness to make changes to his system - he switched the defense his teams use from zone to m2m. After that they improved defensively and have been very good the last few years.

I like that his most recent teams have been elite both offensively and defensively.

He's spent all but 1 year of HC in a P5 conference. 

He's succeeded with decent but not elite talent so he develops his players and the team plays better than the sum of its parts.

Has ties to the state of Indiana.

Not to mention that he has one of the best (if not, the best) team in the nation the last 2 years - a record of 48-5! Other than Gonzaga, who has had a better team? I honestly am not sure why he’s mentioned in the same breathe as somebody like Oates. Or even Beard and Mussleman. Not saying Oates is a bad coach, but I want to avoid the ‘flash in the pan hire’ if we can. CAM had a few great seasons too. With less experienced coaches we just don’t know if the recent success is an outlier or the norm.

If we have a have choice between high risk/high reward vs. lower risk/high reward, doesn’t it seem logical to go with the latter?

Drew has proved that he can develop an extremely competitive team and has hung around the top of a power 5 conference for many years. IMO, that says a lot.

46 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The problem with the IU guys are that there aren't any that are qualified. The only one that even comes close is Alford, and there are a ton of issues with him and his resume is lukewarm at best. 

If all of these former players want an "IU guy", then one of them should have gone out and built the resume to warrant it. 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Serious question...

Pat was working for the Pacers as a scout, so they think he knows something.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Serious question...

He's a former player and a former coach. You don't think he's got nothing good at, do you? At least, he's not a mercenary hired for money. I can be assured he genuinely cares about IU basketball and teach players what it means to wear IU jerseys. 

Just now, BGleas said:

The problem with the IU guys are that there aren't any that are qualified. The only one that even comes close is Alford, and there are a ton of issues with him and his resume is lukewarm at best. 

If all of these former players want an "IU guy", then one of them should have gone out and built the resume to warrant it. 

Spot on.  There is only one candidate who could satisfy both the fan base and the former players.  I can't think of his name off hand.  Maybe it'll come to me.

Archived