Rutgers Pre Game Thread

KDB

Lose this game and we're on the wrong side of the bubble - 100% - win it, and we're probably back to where we were before the MSU game as it relates to our tournament chances.. So, lets win it.

When: Wednesday, February 24th, 8:00 PM EST 

Where: Rutgers Athletic Center - Piscataway, NJ

TV: BTN

Stuff from ESPN:

odds.PNG.d452e23451608f63b1a5e838da17927f.PNGlast5.PNG.0e0b95dcf58f05372f249bd223bb3c83.PNG

stats.thumb.PNG.28d8e7c6068d4df4a47090cfefcd8568.PNG

• KDB changed the title to Rutgers Pre Game Thread
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just need to go 2-2 in these next 4. On paper this one and Sparty appear to be the games we have our best chance. With that said....one positive out of playing this way we've put ourselves on the 10/11 line which gives us a far greater chance at advancing to Sweet 16. We want to avoid the 8/9 game because of round 2. I'll take the 11 seed and matchup vs fringe top 25 team and a game vs 3/14 in 2nd round. 

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall - Bloomington, Indiana

Thank you for including day / date / time in the pregame thread.

In these long Wisconsin winters, I lose track of what month I'm in, so this is always helpful.

Their length bothered us last time...

Their shortest starter is 6'4 Geo Baker...

Mulcahy is 6'6

McConnell 6'7

Harper 6'6

Johnson 6'11

Myles Johnson gave our big guys fits last time...only 8 points, but 5 blocks, 3 steals, 8 boards...

It'll be a tough road to hoe at the RAC...we were down 12 most of the 2nd half but came back to make it a one possession game with 4 minutes to go...

We can't have one of our bad starts to either half...

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Lose this game and we're on the wrong side of the bubble - 100% - win it, and we're probably back to where we were before the MSU game as it relates to our tournament chances.. So, lets win it.

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall - Bloomington, Indiana

Stuff from ESPN:

odds.PNG.d452e23451608f63b1a5e838da17927f.PNGlast5.PNG.0e0b95dcf58f05372f249bd223bb3c83.PNG

stats.thumb.PNG.28d8e7c6068d4df4a47090cfefcd8568.PNG

The Rutgers game is not at home

With the MSU loss, this one becomes a must win.  A loss not only puts us firmly behind Rutgers in the B1G pecking order for the tournament,  it probably puts us behind Maryland as well, and even in danger of falling behind MSU.  Be tough to convince the selection committee to give us a bid if we're playing on the first day of the BTT.

I say we win this one by 12 pulling away in the last 2 minutes.  They struggle to hit 3s and Hunter will drain his obligatory 2 in the last 2 minutes of the game to seal the deal.  Feels like with all the negativity that is surrounding the program, they are going to show up on the road and put on a defensive clinic this time.  Also TDJ only has 14 points.  Race will give us a career performance.

Go Hoosiers

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I say we win this one by 12 pulling away in the last 2 minutes.  They struggle to hit 3s and Hunter will drain his obligatory 2 in the last 2 minutes of the game to seal the deal.  Feels like with all the negativity that is surrounding the program, they are going to show up on the road and put on a defensive clinic this time.  Also TDJ only has 14 points.  Race will give us a career performance.

Go Hoosiers

Well pretty much anything can happen with this IU team.

If we get solid guard play, we win.  If not, another L.

Everything in my head tells me we will lose this game, which is exactly why we will probably win.  Like others have said, we need to go 2-2 down the stretch for a bid.  I'd feel a lot better if we got the first of those two sooner rather than later.  I'd hate to have win the last two.  I would especially hate to go to Purdue needing a win for our tournament hopes.  

We need a better game from Trayce this time...Last game he was 4-10 from the field with 13 points and 4 turnovers...

Al, Rob, and Armaan actually shot well from 3 going 6-10...

And Lander was 2-2 from 3 😲

As I said, Myles Johnson is the exact kind of 5 that Trayce has problems with...Tall, with long arms and really good on the defensive end...

Ron Harper Jr only had 6 their last game out (Maryland) on 1-6 shooting...I'd like to see him have another one of those days...

And I know I've said we really can't start Jerome hunter with both Trayce and Race because of our frontcourt depth issues, but if we were ever going to, this might be the game...Having our 3 guards at 6'0, 6'4, and 6'4 guarding theirs at 6'4, 6'6, and 6'7 is a challenge...

I’d like to see us make some adjustments.  One thing that Archie can turn around is that when a team starts beating him, it just keeps going.  If you’re an NBA fan, you know the swings in the playoffs.  The losing coach looks at film of game 1 and then in game 2 changes a tactic and suddenly the other coach has to adjust.  We’ve got three road games against teams that beat us in Bloomington.  This is a great time to see what was done to us, and figure out some adjustments.  You can’t just go into the game and say, we are going to play harder or make more shots so we will win this time.  Everyone knows about insanity and doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’d like to see us make some adjustments.  One thing that Archie can turn around is that when a team starts beating him, it just keeps going.  If you’re an NBA fan, you know the swings in the playoffs.  The losing coach looks at film of game 1 and then in game 2 changes a tactic and suddenly the other coach has to adjust.  We’ve got three road games against teams that beat us in Bloomington.  This is a great time to see what was done to us, and figure out some adjustments.  You can’t just go into the game and say, we are going to play harder or make more shots so we will win this time.  Everyone knows about insanity and doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  

Yep, see Izzo's in game adjustments last Saturday...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yep, see Izzo's in game adjustments last Saturday...

He did make adjustments.  The best was telling Henry screw the game plan. Drive it right down the lane until they stop you.  If they do kick out to wide open shooters if not take the layup.

That's what CAM should do with AF don't camp him in the corner. He is only guy to get there at will

Archived