Potential Race Thompson injury

@Rogermci

Calling this thread a cesspool is a head scratcher.  Very little in the way of out of bounds speculation.  Saying that the two most common ways a player breaks his nose playing basketball are an inadvertent elbow and a fight with a teammate is not a cesspool.  That's just discussing logical possibilities.

Saying Player A was shaving points to help Player B support a serious drug habit, while they both kept quiet about Player C having an affair with the coach's wife, though the coach didn't mind because he was busy finding enough money to pay Big Recruit #1 an incentive to play for the team.  That would be a cesspool.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Saying that the two most common ways a player breaks his nose playing basketball are an inadvertent elbow and a fight with a teammate is not a cesspool. 

But why even speculate?

One (accidental elbow, forearm, hand the face) is far more likely than the other and it's not even close. I've seen probably 20 incidents of people getting accidentally hit in the face this year as opposed to zero from fighting. Over my lifetime, I've seen 100s of accidents and just a handful of fights causing damage. The only one I can even think of that caused that kind of damage is Kermit Washington/Rudy Tomjanovich. 

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But why even speculate?

One (accidental elbow, forearm, hand the face) is far more likely than the other and it's not even close. I've seen probably 20 incidents of people getting accidentally hit in the face this year as opposed to zero from fighting. Over my lifetime, I've seen 100s of accidents and just a handful of fights causing damage. The only one I can even think of that caused that kind of damage is Kermit Washington/Rudy Tomjanovich. 

some times people speculate on message boards

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

some times people speculate on message boards

My point is, if one thing is a common occurrence, and another is a rarity, why even speculate about the rarity?

I think I know the reason, but I'm not going to "speculate."

Come on, coach...you said you've coached what? 30 some years? How many kids have you seen get hurt by an accidental elbow as opposed to a fight?

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My point is, if one thing is a common occurrence, and another is a rarity, why even speculate about the rarity?

Come on, coach...you said you've coached what? 30 some years? How many kids have you seen get hurt by an accidental elbow as opposed to a fight?

It was because one guy said he heard something, but couldn’t talk about it. That led to speculation.   He eventually said he didn’t hear about a fight like an hour later, but in the meantime, we speculated based on the comment that the person “couldn’t talk about it” or whatever he said along those lines. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But why even speculate?

Okay.  No Speculation.  As a result, we have to also get rid of.

• The entire recruiting forum.  Names should not be brought up on the board until the LOI is in hand.
  • Pre-Game threads.  Isn't that whole concept about us speculating what may happen in the upcoming game.
  • All threads related to Archie,  I suppose we could pin a Biography thread at top so visitors know who the coach is.
  • The Investing thread in the Animal House must certainly go.  As should all the "Best Of' threads on there.
  •  And, finally, I'll nix the idea I had about a thread to discuss the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse on June 14th, 2025.

Seriously.  Nobody said "I bet it was a fight' or 'I heard Cooper Bybee took exception to a hard screen from Race'.  People just acknowledged that fights have been known to occur on the basketball court,  No one overtly claimed that was the reason.

Edit:  The zombie apocalypse is REAL.  Make preparations NOW!

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• The entire recruiting forum.  Names should not be brought up on the board until the LOI is in hand.
  • Pre-Game threads.  Isn't that whole concept about us speculating what may happen in the upcoming game.
  • All threads related to Archie,  I suppose we could pin a Biography thread at top so visitors know who the coach is.
  • The Investing thread in the Animal House must certainly go.  As should all the "Best Of' threads on there.
  •  And, finally, I'll nix the idea I had about a thread to discuss the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse on June 14th, 2025.

Seriously.  Nobody said "I bet it was a fight' or 'I heard Cooper Bybee took exception to a hard screen from Race'.  People just acknowledged that fights have been known to occur on the basketball court,  No one overtly claimed that was the reason.

Come on...that's way beneath you...Speculation on things like the outcome of the games or the in investing thread is pretty much the reason we're here...

Speculating there was a fight between teammates that caused significant damage to one on the team we all root for is something else...

What are we going to speculate next? Who threw the punch that further crippled the frontcourt depth of this team?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But why even speculate?

Ask Sherron and Harris about broken nose.

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well I think he’s just saying if it’s not likely we shouldn’t speculate. 
So...

we certainly shouldn’t speculate that we will win many games.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

to be honest, not much of either.  i coached high school girls for the most part and later middle school boys.  i had really good kids who would pretty much never throw a punch at a teammate or even play mean and tough enough to throw an elbow!  

Link

"J.D. Campbell, Indiana's senior assistant athletic director for men's basketball communications and special projects, declined to comment Wednesday morning on rumors that were circulating around social media that Hoosiers forward Race Thompson broke his nose in practice on Tuesday.

"Nothing here'' Campbell texted to HoosiersNow.com on Wednesday morning when asked for an official comment on the rumors." 

"Based on how the school deals with injuries and reporting of such, it's unlikely that Indiana will make any kind of formal announcement about his status prior to Wednesday night's game."

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Link

"J.D. Campbell, Indiana's senior assistant athletic director for men's basketball communications and special projects, declined to comment Wednesday morning on rumors that were circulating around social media that Hoosiers forward Race Thompson broke his nose in practice on Tuesday.

"Nothing here'' Campbell texted to HoosiersNow.com on Wednesday morning when asked for an official comment on the rumors." 

"Based on how the school deals with injuries and reporting of such, it's unlikely that Indiana will make any kind of formal announcement about his status prior to Wednesday night's game."

Kinda surprised JD replied 

Ben Franklin said, "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail."

There is a reason the best teams carry 4 or more legit big men, multiple PGs, multiple scorers, and multiple shooters. They understand it's a long season and anything can happen.

Injuries are a part of the game, right? Everyone knows this already. For whatever reason, Archie has not been able to add what I would consider legitimate depth in the post. So far it's been TJD and a cast of either frequently injured or undersized post options. That's on Archie and if he ends up losing his job because of it he will have nobody else to blame.

11 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Ben Franklin said, "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail."

There is a reason the best teams carry 4 or more legit big men, multiple PGs, multiple scorers, and multiple shooters. They understand it's a long season and anything can happen.

Injuries are a part of the game, right? Everyone knows this already. For whatever reason, Archie has not been able to add what I would consider legitimate depth in the post. So far it's been TJD and a cast of either frequently injured or undersized post options. That's on Archie and if he ends up losing his job because of it he will have nobody else to blame.

I think he’s been reading this board to much with people saying we should only have 10 roster players.:coffee:

Archived