Rutgers Postgame

Hoosierfan1901

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The fact that Archie has completely wrecked a five star PG is also an underrated storyline this season.  I get that he graduated early, but the fact that he hasn’t made a single layup the entire season seems like it should be impossible.  There’s no way he should be this bad.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think you are the right person to ask but why do coaches feel the need to have set schedule for subbing.  To me lately Archie is killing the good starts by having at least two subs at the first timeout.

I don't have the answer, I just think almost every coach does this. It's not like it's an Archie thing, they almost all do this. I'd have to guess a lot of it comes from bench players being much more comfortable knowing when they're going in, not sitting there wondering when they'll go in, why they haven't yet, etc., etc. 

I think that works better in the NBA though because the games are longer and you have to pace guys during the season. 

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The fact that Archie has completely wrecked a five star PG is also an underrated storyline this season.  I get that he graduated early, but the fact that he hasn’t made a single layup the entire season seems like it should be impossible.  There’s no way he should be this bad.

I don't know that I'd say Archie wrecked him, Lander clearly was not ready for this. So if in the sense that Archie never should have allowed him to come early when he wasn't ready, then I guess Archie wrecked him in that way. 

If I remember correctly, wasn't Lander already even sliding down the 2021 rankings a bit last year? 

I don't mean that to defend Archie or anything. I just think Lander might be a case of a kid that wasn't over-hyped in terms of ranking. 

Beard on BTN after the game...

“Rutgers won every single 50/50 ball”

”In the second half I’m not sure IU got a 50/50 ball”

“I was shocked, I’m not going to lie, at IU’s lack of effort in the second half”

”Thought we would see more fight but we didn’t”

”A lot of it was just effort”

For 3 1/2 years I have been saying we don’t consistently compete under Archie and have gotten pushback. I’m not sure how/if people still dispute that Archie’s teams do not match his “marketing brand” of being hard nosed competitors. Just disappointing.

5 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

“Rutgers won every 50/50 ball”

“I was shocked at IU’s lack of effort in the second half”

For 3 1/2 years I have been saying we don’t consistently compete under Archie and have gotten pushback. I’m not sure how/if people still dispute that Archie’s teams do not match his “marketing brand” of being hard nosed competitors. Just disappointing.

Completely agree. I thought we were getting this hard-nosed, fiery Izzo-type guy who's teams always competed for 40 minutes regardless of their talent. That's what I thought we were getting, but it's been the exact opposite. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don't know that I'd say Archie wrecked him, Lander clearly was not ready for this. So if in the sense that Archie never should have allowed him to come early when he wasn't ready, then I guess Archie wrecked him in that way. 

If I remember correctly, wasn't Lander already even sliding down the 2021 rankings a bit last year? 

I don't mean that to defend Archie or anything. I just think Lander might be a case of a kid that wasn't over-hyped in terms of ranking. 

Not that I recall.  The 247 composite has him as the #27 overall recruit and #6 PG in the 2020 class.  I think he moved from the #1 PG in 2021 to the #6 in 2020 simply because of the reclass.

But look, I get that he may have been overrated or not quite ready... But the kid is averaging 2-1-1 and hasn’t hit a single layup the entire season.  I just don’t buy that he was THAT overrated coming in.  That is a lack of development and a failure to put him in a position to succeed.  

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Not that I recall.  The 247 composite has him as the #27 overall recruit and #6 PG in the 2020 class.  I think he moved from the #1 PG in 2021 to the #6 in 2020 simply because of the reclass.

But look, I get that he may have been overrated or not quite ready... But the kid is averaging 2-1-1 and hasn’t hit a single layup the entire season.  I just don’t buy that he was THAT overrated coming in.  That is a lack of development and a failure to put him in a position to succeed.  

Tough to develop a kid in a few months with the added restrictions of Covid, especially when he comes in completely not ready. I'm also not sure what other position he needs to be put in. When he's in the game he has the ball in his hand and he's a ball screen guard that is constantly in ball screens. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He did but not much. I think he went from barely top 10 to just outside. From 9/10 to the 11-15 range. He was still the #1 PG, I believe. I think he was around 11 or 12 when he reclassified. After the declassification he was #27 but still considered a 5*.

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't have the answer, I just think almost every coach does this. It's not like it's an Archie thing, they almost all do this. I'd have to guess a lot of it comes from bench players being much more comfortable knowing when they're going in, not sitting there wondering when they'll go in, why they haven't yet, etc., etc. 

I think that works better in the NBA though because the games are longer and you have to pace guys during the season. 

I use to yell at Izzo for doing this same thing especially when they get off to a great start.  I guess I just watch to many old games especially the 80's where RMK didn't sub unless of foul trouble.  Most of those games there were usually 3 starters play the whole half

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I would prefer Matta.  But, if he's not wanting to come back, get Beilien in here for 3-4 years to stabilize things to the point where a good coach would actually want to come to IU.  

This is exactly right.  Bring Beilien in to stabilize things and then hope once that’s done IU looks appealing enough to a strong candidate.  And absolute best case scenario by then Brad is on the outs in Boston IU can make a push at him after that.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Go ahead and make fun of me but I just sent this to Scott Dolson

Two words about tonight's game
Pathetic
Embarrassing

There is no way you can justify bringing back a coach that will have 4 straight losing seasons in the conference.  it is embarrassing for IU basketball to be battling to finish 10th in the conference every year.  This team looks like they quit in the second half tonight and that is not acceptable for any player at IU.  We should be battling for the conference title at IU but we are in the same category as Rutgers and Minnesota.

If you bring him back next year I would guarantee you will lose more fans and if they allow fans in AH next year it will be a lot of empty seats.

Empty seats are a blessing.  You kidding me.  These guys would be getting booed off their own court this year.

23 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

“Rutgers won every 50/50 ball”

“I was shocked at IU’s lack of effort in the second half”

In other words, they are soft.

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Tough to develop a kid in a few months with the added restrictions of Covid, especially when he comes in completely not ready. I'm also not sure what other position he needs to be put in. When he's in the game he has the ball in his hand and he's a ball screen guard that is constantly in ball screens. 

Run something to get him an easy look, tell him to be aggressive in looking for his shot off the pick and roll.  He’s only taken 10 shots in the last 5 games.

Spent some time with family tonight. Set the DVR. Checked the phone at 23-11. Okay cool! By the time I got home, 31-35 at halftime. Oh, yeah. Seems about right. Watched the entire 2nd half. Like, what am I even watching. In a game where we need to be fighting tooth and nail every possession, we just roll over and get dunked on repeatedly.

At least the hour special on the 1985 team trip overseas gave me some quality IU basketball entertainment to end the evening.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think you are the right person to ask but why do coaches feel the need to have set schedule for subbing.  To me lately Archie is killing the good starts by having at least two subs at the first timeout.

I have been watching him do that crap every season. He could kill the momentum of a 100 ton boulder rolling down a mountain! And another thing. Just because Isso and a lot of coaches do it doesn't make it right!

Archived