Rutgers Postgame

Hoosierfan1901

1 minute ago, Let said:

I have been watching him do that crap every season. He could kill the momentum of a 100 ton boulder rolling down a mountain! And another thing. Just because Isso and a lot of coaches do it doesn't make it right!

This happens at most programs so it is just not Archie but it does drive me crazy

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Tough to develop a kid in a few months with the added restrictions of Covid, especially when he comes in completely not ready. I'm also not sure what other position he needs to be put in. When he's in the game he has the ball in his hand and he's a ball screen guard that is constantly in ball screens. 

I agree and in retrospect he should have probably stayed in HS. His stats point to a  player that was possibly overrated but on the filp side he has made some OMG passes in which he created an angle that did not seem to exist and then made the pass. I mean truly elite passes. 
His quickness and speed are also elite but when you zoom from the defensive basket and then stop at the top of the key or free throw line , and aren’t a big threat to take it to the rim, his athletic advantage is neutralized. I still think Lander will be a very, very good player but it might be late in his Sophomore or Junior year.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hate losing. And I never root for lose...but if we had to lose like this...I just wish it wasn’t on Wed night on BTN against Rutgers when no one was watching. Wish it was prime time weekend game against Purdue so enough people would get pissed off enough to fix this thing.

Don't worry, you are likely to get your wish on that in a few days.  

Can someone set up a poll for if IU pays the buyout or brings him back for a 5th year?  It would be interesting to see the response.  

While I want the suffering to be over as quickly as possible, I see IU bringing him back for one more year.  The upside of such a move is that the data will be clear to all and common sense will not cause people to see the move as irrational.  

A coach is hired to win.  There are obviously other factors.  Archie has all the tools and resources he needs, he just hasn’t been able to move the needle nearly enough in the time he has been here.  

One of the best comments I’ve read in recent days on this board compared how it just isn’t working for Archie here LIKE it didn’t for Alford at Iowa.  In other words, Archie may have success elsewhere but it isn’t here and by now that is crystal clear.  

Within the last few weeks it has also become obvious the talent on this roster is not on pace with the rest of the conference.  The only teams, I believe, with LESS talent than IU:

Northwestern

Nebraska

and maybe Penn State. 

Yes, Archie is responsible.  Case study: who would have predicted Eric Hunter would have been better, or more reliable/consistent, than Phinisee?  Out of high school?  Nobody.  Many of Archie’s recruits have not blossomed or jelled together. 

36 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Within the last few weeks it has also become obvious the talent on this roster is not on pace with the rest of the conference.  The only teams, I believe, with LESS talent than IU:

Northwestern

Nebraska

and maybe Penn State. 

Yes, Archie is responsible.  Case study: who would have predicted Eric Hunter would have been better, or more reliable/consistent, than Phinisee?  Out of high school?  Nobody.  Many of Archie’s recruits have not blossomed or jelled together. 

Eric Hunter is not more talented. We have talent. What we don’t have is player development 

there's just no reason to play Rob at this point.  he's clearly not helping us win.  i don't really think Lander can either, but we need a PG.  obviously we can give Rob's minutes to literally anyone.  Hunter, Leal, Galloway.  i'm not crazy about them either, but they would give us more on the offensive end than Rob and at this point just let them play PG by committee.  

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't have the answer, I just think almost every coach does this. It's not like it's an Archie thing, they almost all do this. I'd have to guess a lot of it comes from bench players being much more comfortable knowing when they're going in, not sitting there wondering when they'll go in, why they haven't yet, etc., etc. 

I think that works better in the NBA though because the games are longer and you have to pace guys during the season. 

and unnecessary in college and HS, but most are going to it at both levels from what i see.  frustrating.  

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't have the answer, I just think almost every coach does this. It's not like it's an Archie thing, they almost all do this. I'd have to guess a lot of it comes from bench players being much more comfortable knowing when they're going in, not sitting there wondering when they'll go in, why they haven't yet, etc., etc. 

I think that works better in the NBA though because the games are longer and you have to pace guys during the season. 

i also think sometimes it's a cop out because everyone whines about getting pulled out when they make a mistake so it shakes their confidence.  weak.  if you don't play well, expect to come out.  

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Eric Hunter is not more talented. We have talent. What we don’t have is player development 

You know what is funny about that...

Check the date when that was posted.  I understand that the school and program have to promote what they can, but that is like going to your biggest critics house, dropping pants in front of him, and telling him to kiss your butt.  It just riles him up more.

Archived