Rutgers Postgame

Hoosierfan1901

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am not so sure why all the doom and gloom after last night's game. It's been that way for almost 4 years. Nothing has changed. I am never in hopes of someone getting fired but he has been in over his head from day 1.  

The definition of apathy is choosing to watch 2 episodes of my 600 pound life instead of Indiana basketball.  Based on the comments I know which was more entertaining and which one actually displayed people making an effort. 

I'm not sure why anyone has expected anything different than what they saw. I know this is just ramble from a jaded lover right!!  He will go down in history as the worst coach in the history of Indiana University men's basketball.  

Cmon Shane.  Tell us what you really think. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know. I just wanted to be a little sarcastic since for 3 years I  have been saying what others are now coming around to say. The best argument was I was bitter because I lost availability to program with CAM. I still believe I just look at things objectively and just never saw from CAM what was needed

Yep for four years I was called negative.  Turns out I was just right 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can promise you last night was not just the same ole, same ole from the last four years. It was BAD. 

I disagree each year we have seen this at points within the season. Last night was more obvious I guess since I was watching overweight people lose weight.

You don't lose 12 of 13 with great effort lots of examples over 3.75 years

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I disagree each year we have seen this at points within the season. Last night was more obvious I guess since I was watching overweight people lose weight.

Agreed.  Last night looked almost exactly like these games:

A3959C2A-8DCB-4F58-B9DD-B8ACB5F133AE.jpeg

1D0D602B-4314-46F6-A330-494C7313CFFF.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep for four years I was called negative.  Turns out I was just right 

Too soon still. A whole new list of excuses will appear. I was blasted for calling injuries an excuse the past 2 years. Might be legit excuse but still an excuse.  Curious to see the spin coming, more likely is most by now have seen the truth and know its just a matter of time 

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If you didn't watch the game I'm not sure you are properly imagining how bad it was. 

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Agreed.  Last night looked almost exactly like these games:

A3959C2A-8DCB-4F58-B9DD-B8ACB5F133AE.jpeg

1D0D602B-4314-46F6-A330-494C7313CFFF.jpeg

I get your point, but there is a massive difference in Year 1 and Year 4 and the point we are at in the tournament. 

So yeah, those games were troubling, but not as much as last night IMO. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

If you didn't watch the game I'm not sure you are properly imagining how bad it was. 

But clearly anticipated. You are correct. I am thankful I didn't watch and I hate saying that.  Kevin Bowen said it was a Rutgers All Star weekend.  The 1st half was a 3 pt contest,  second half dunk contest and IU played defense like in an all star game

5 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Within the last few weeks it has also become obvious the talent on this roster is not on pace with the rest of the conference.  The only teams, I believe, with LESS talent than IU:

Northwestern

Nebraska

and maybe Penn State. 

Yes, Archie is responsible.  Case study: who would have predicted Eric Hunter would have been better, or more reliable/consistent, than Phinisee?  Out of high school?  Nobody.  Many of Archie’s recruits have not blossomed or jelled together. 

I think a lot of people thought Hunter would be better. Their rankings were pretty similar coming out of HS. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

But clearly anticipated. You are correct. I am thankful I didn't watch and I hate saying that.  Kevin Bowen said it was a Rutgers All Star weekend.  The 1st half was a 3 pt contest,  second half dunk contest and IU played defense like in an all star game

Rutgers treated IU like a high school team does when they schedule a weaker team for their homecoming game to make sure they win. They were smiling and laughing the whole time. Once they took the lead they didn't feel threatened at all. 

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Too soon still. A whole new list of excuses will appear. I was blasted for calling injuries an excuse the past 2 years. Might be legit excuse but still an excuse.  Curious to see the spin coming, more likely is most by now have seen the truth and know its just a matter of time 

The mainstream media is blasting him.  And the podcast fan based media is done with him.  

The dude is done, the excuses won’t be coming from anybody but Archie it’s just a matter of Dolson realizing 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think a lot of people thought Hunter would be better. Their rankings were pretty similar coming out of HS. 

No, a lot thought Rob would be better. Hunters frame, playing at a 1A school, and the fact that we wasn't really a point guard were question marks that Rob didn't have. The difference now is that Hunter has been coached and developed as a player and Rob hasn't. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think a lot of people thought Hunter would be better. 

Yes. We did.   Question is - is he being utilized properly?    Put him in Creightons offense for example and he could average 18/night and nobody would be surprised.  

This team mainly starts and stops with Rob. When he’s good, IU is good. When he’s not ... well ... 

Whether it’s Rob mind. Lack of development.  Combo of both.  I don’t know.   We all really really like the young man, but he’s simply not getting it done offensively.   And it all ultimately falls on Archie.    

But to think, Archie’s tenure could be mainly caused by Rob, is crazy to think as we sit here today.   I recognize there are other issues, but the one that carries the most weight, imo, is Rob.    

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

No, a lot thought Rob would be better. Hunters frame, playing at a 1A school, and the fact that we wasn't really a point guard were question marks that Rob didn't have. The difference now is that Hunter has been coached and developed as a player and Rob hasn't. 

Ha!  Was literally typing the exact same thing!

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agreed that last night was really bad, but we’ve been run off the court by 15+ in 15/121 games (12.4%) since Archie’s been here.  Literally 20% of the games during his tenure have been double digit losses (24/121).  This is nothing new.

There's a quote by Maya Angelou that goes "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." Of course, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but watching IU over the past 3.5 years, we've seen what CAM's teams are and what they're capable of. Unfortunately, there aren't indicators that it will change.

As a fanbase, it feels like there is still a large portion hoping for just that one "break", just that one "lightning in a bottle strike" to change things; with *just* the right moves, this little Volkswagen Jetta will beat the Ferraris. Meanwhile we're getting passed by Smart FourTwos with transmission problems.

Objectively, that's ludicrous.

Personally, I'm not concerned about the outside perception of "X amount of coaches in X years"; the die is cast. Our limelight is dimmed... make the necessary changes to fix the problem or be content with failure.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

This has been slowly spinning out of control for some time....the kind of stuff where we start seeing decommits and player transfers......

I think so too.  I can think of 2 or 3 players that could elect to transfer out and it wouldn't surprise me.  Also one who may very possibly leave to play professionally. 

The good-ish news is that we only have one signed recruit, so there's limited potential for de-comits.

The environment will not be conducive to convincing potential (incoming) transfers or recruits.

7 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Yes. We did.   Question is - is he being utilized properly?    Put him in Creightons offense for example and he could average 18/night and nobody would be surprised.  

This team mainly starts and stops with Rob. When he’s good, IU is good. When he’s not ... well ... 

Whether it’s Rob mind. Lack of development.  Combo of both.  I don’t know.   We all really really like the young man, but he’s simply not getting it done offensively.   And it all ultimately falls on Archie.    

But to think, Archie’s tenure could be mainly caused by Rob, is crazy to think as we sit here today.   I recognize there are other issues, but the one that carries the most weight, imo, is Rob.    

It's been this way since Rob got here.

That said, I need to ask was it fair for me to put these expectations on Rob's shoulders? Or what happens if this team had a consistent point guard.

BUT it just has to fall on CAM's shoulders. Why don't we have any PG depth? Al and Armaan are not natural PG's. Was it wise to put all his eggs in a 17 year old's basket? Maybe I could let that one go if it was the first time we got caught with our pants down. The fact is that we've never had depth where it matters, and I will say it again and again: we have had open roster spots!!!!

If there's anything CAM's FIRST year should have taught him was that: poop often happens and that you better be prepared for the poop when it does happen. i.e. Don't leave scholarships open. Recruit more kids from high school or JUCO. Find transfers. Whatever. Teams deal with injuries and under-achieving players all the time by having a back-up plan. I think anybody would be hard pressed to name a team who has skated through an entire season injury free and/or dealt with under achieving players. 

I will not accept that this rant is 'Monday Morning QBing' because it has happened every year he's been here. CAM may have some good X's and O's, but an equally important trait a coach must have is managing adversity because adversity is always knocking at your door. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It's been this way since Rob got here.

That said, I need to ask was it fair for me to put these expectations on Rob's shoulders? Or what happens if this team had a consistent point guard.

BUT it just has to fall on CAM's shoulders. Why don't we have any PG depth? Al and Armaan are not natural PG's. Was it wise to put all his eggs in a 17 year old's basket? Maybe I could let that one go if it was the first time we got caught with our pants down. The fact is that we've never had depth where it matters, and I will say it again and again: we have had open roster spots!!!!

If there's anything CAM's FIRST year should have taught him was that: poop often happens and that you better be prepared for the poop when it does happen. i.e. Don't leave scholarships open. Recruit more kids from high school or JUCO. Find transfers. Whatever. Teams deal with injuries and under-achieving players all the time by having a back-up plan. I think anybody would be hard pressed to name a team who has skated through an entire season injury free and/or dealt with under achieving players. 

I will not accept that this rant is 'Monday Morning QBing' because it has happened every year he's been here. CAM may have some good X's and O's, but an equally important trait a coach must have is managing adversity because adversity is always knocking at your door. 

Don’t disagree at all. And it’s my understanding Lander and his family really pushed to get to IU early.  

IF Archie is back next season, I wouldn’t be surprised with 33% roster turnover by August.  Stewart and Armaan will be guards plus TBD PG. TBD big man. TBD one more player.  

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

This has been slowly spinning out of control for some time....the kind of stuff where we start seeing decommits and player transfers......

I really wish there won't be mass exodus after this season. Archie's program is a sinking ship, and his seat is burning hot, so anything can happen after this season. This is where Dolson must be proactive and make sure we retain players and commitments for next season. If there are multiple players wanting to be out, Dolson must find a new coach during off season to stabilize the situation. If Dolson acts slow and reactive, he will eventually have to fire Archie after a season or two, and the cupboard will be bare. IU again won't be able to attract a good coach. Very critical off season is about to come.

10 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I really wish there won't be mass exodus after this season. Archie's program is a sinking ship, and his seat is burning hot, so anything can happen after this season. This is where Dolson must be proactive and make sure we retain players and commitments for next season. If there are multiple players wanting to be out, Dolson must find a new coach during off season to stabilize the situation. If Dolson acts slow and reactive, he will eventually have to fire Archie after a season or two, and the cupboard will be bare. IU again won't be able to attract a good coach. Very critical off season is about to come.

I wish I was a fly on the wall of Dolson's office. He has to be getting heat from some of these big donors!

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am not so sure why all the doom and gloom after last night's game. It's been that way for almost 4 years. Nothing has changed. I am never in hopes of someone getting fired but he has been in over his head from day 1.  

The definition of apathy is choosing to watch 2 episodes of my 600 pound life instead of Indiana basketball.  Based on the comments I know which was more entertaining and which one actually displayed people making an effort. 

I'm not sure why anyone has expected anything different than what they saw. I know this is just ramble from a jaded lover right!!  He will go down in history as the worst coach in the history of Indiana University men's basketball.  

I think the kids give effort and they care. They got humiliated last night so I do feel like they bounce back...but not sure they can win against any of the teams left on their schedule. 

Funny thing is my wife always watched housewives and 90 day fiancé on wed nights which means I’m stuck watching them. She asked if I was going to watch with her and I said no...IU is on. She said that’s ok they are reruns....after watching the game I told her I wish I watched the reruns...she laughed and said that bad huh?! I said yep. She said I don’t know why you care so much...when I watch with you it just looks like guys running around in circles...I don’t know anything about basketball but it looks dumb. I said you may know more about basketball then you think lol.

Archived