Rutgers Postgame

Hoosierfan1901

What was going on with Jerome last night?  It looked like when he got taken out of the game midway through the 2nd half he stormed to the end of the bench and then Archie motioned toward the locker room.  Shortly after that Jerome and Stewart were missing from the bench.  They later came back........Armaan then went down and talked with Jerome.  Even later Al huddles up with Jerome and someone else (I can't remember).  I thought I also saw Brunk reach out and massage Jerome's shoulders and say something to him as he left the floor when the game was over.  Jerome looked majorly pissed throughout these interactions.  Anyone else notice this or have any insight?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

I really wish there won't be mass exodus after this season. Archie's program is a sinking ship, and his seat is burning hot, so anything can happen after this season. This is where Dolson must be proactive and make sure we retain players and commitments for next season. If there are multiple players wanting to be out, Dolson must find a new coach during off season to stabilize the situation. If Dolson acts slow and reactive, he will eventually have to fire Archie after a season or two, and the cupboard will be bare. IU again won't be able to attract a good coach. Very critical off season is about to come.

Thing is...I think many of these kids came to play for IU as much as Archie. I think If we retained most of the assistants etc we would keep many of them...I’m sure some would go though.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That team that lost 11 0f 12 came back and was one play in game in the BTT with OSU from going to the tournament in most eyes...

We don’t have time to come back though. That’s the thing...they weren’t a bad team so we shouldn’t lose that many games like that...but here we are looking like that again. It’s players sure but in the end the coach is going to catch the heat.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

We don’t have time to come back though. That’s the thing...they weren’t a bad team so we shouldn’t lose that many games like that...but here we are looking like that again. It’s players sure but in the end the coach is going to catch the heat.

My point was, you stated that team was "broken." I'll not get into the losing streak itself and what I thought our issue was, but for those that think Archie "lost" that team, he seemed to recover it (and I don't think he lost it in the first place).

And I don't think he has lost this one...

We'll see Saturday...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My point was, you stated that team was "broken." I'll not get into the losing streak itself and what I thought our issue was, but for those that think Archie "lost" that team, he seemed to recover it (and I don't think he lost it in the first place).

We'll see Saturday...

To me the last 10 minutes looked like a team that quit.  It was a dunk contest for those minutes and it didn't appear that the players were embarrassed.

56 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We'll see Saturday...

I haven't had allot to say about this loss.  But I will say this.  I wish I had people believe in me like you believe in CAM.  I honestly don't know what it would take for you to actually have something bad to say about him.  That is a whole different level of support right here.  Everyone should have an IUFLA in their corner or as a friend.  I commend you sir.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I haven't had allot to say about this loss.  But I will say this.  I wish I had people believe in me like you believe in CAM.  I honestly don't know what it would take for you to actually have something bad to say about him.  That is a whole different level of support right here.  Everyone should have an IUFLA in their corner or as a friend.  I commend you sir.

Thank you...

The worst I would say about him, is that, if he gets fired after this year (which I don't believe will happen) or next is that he didn't make it at IU...

As far as me saying something "bad" about him, when he actually DID something bad, I surely would...Ultimately, not succeeding as the IU coach doesn't fit that bill to me...I don't think he's a bad coach...He wouldn't have gotten this far if he was...

Everyone has failed at something in their life, whether they'd like to admit it or not...That's not "bad" per se...It's life...it happens...

And what matters most is what you do AFTER you get knocked down...

Bad was the wrong word.  Failed in aspects of being IU's coach.  Nothing concerning his past or his future but what he has done directly related to IU.  You don't find any flaw in it and it is a level of support you just don't see ever.  Whether that is a good thing or bad i cannot say.  But you do see the best of everything when it comes to Miller and IU.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Thank you...

The worst I would say about him, is that, if he gets fired after this year (which I don't believe will happen) or next is that he didn't make it at IU...

As far as me saying something "bad" about him, when he actually DID something bad, I surely would...Ultimately, not succeeding as the IU coach doesn't fit that bill to me...I don't think he's a bad coach...He wouldn't have gotten this far if he was...

Everyone has failed at something in their life, whether they'd like to admit it or not...That's not "bad" per se...It's life...it happens...

And what matters most is what you do AFTER you get knocked down...

I don't think anyone has said that Archie is a bad person but just saying it is time for a coaching change.

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Bad was the wrong word.  Failed in aspects of being IU's coach.  Nothing concerning his past or his future but what he has done directly related to IU.  You don't find any flaw in it and it is a level of support you just don't see ever.  Whether that is a good thing or bad i cannot say.  But you do see the best of everything when it comes to Miller and IU.

OK...That's fair...

"Failed in aspects of being IU's coach."

If you go back an honestly look at his recruiting, I don't think you can fault him...He's missed a couple, most notably Brooks, Garcia and Kaufman, but that happens...There are a couple I'm actually glad he missed out on in retrospect...

Player development? We've had some guys improve, and some have remained stagnant...My stance is that's more on the player than anyone...

Game strategy? I'm not ready to put anyone on this board at his level there...

Motivation? Hard to gauge, but if I was going to say he's failed at something, I don't think we've been consistently motivated for every game...It's difficult because you have to have leaders on the team that support you, and I'm not sure that's always been the case...But, ultimately, it falls to him...I've seen him TRY to motivate players during a game by taking them out after a bad stretch, but I do think he might use the bench more as a motivator as in who starts and who doesn't...

Winning...ah, now there's the rub...I know the under .500 in the B!G is one that's loudly proclaimed, and maybe that's justified...But I put up a post the other day that showed the rotations of every team in the B1G...Surprising that most of the top teams had a lot of upperclassmen...we were last with 3...I'll just say the B1G is very tough, and playing in it with the least upper class contributions I think has been telling...Next year should be a different story though...

So, do I think he's "perfect?" No...But there is one thing I do have an eye for, and that's leadership...He never ducks the responsibility...I think he's a good leader that'll improve over time...

And I'll say this...People were slobbering over Porkchop the other day, but there's one thing I don't think they consider...Porkchop had a rough go in the middle of his tenure at Purdue...one I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have survived at IU...But Purdue let him, to use more of a coach to player vernacular, they let him play through his mistakes...

I'd say giving CAM one more year would be letting him play through his...And we might be surprised at the outcome...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

OK...That's fair...

If you go back an honestly look at his recruiting, I don't think you can fault him...He's missed a couple, most notably Brooks, Garcia and Kaufman, but that happens...There are a couple I'm actually glad he missed out on in retrospect...

Player development? We've had some guys improve, and some have remained stagnant...My stance is that's more on the player than anyone...

Motivation? Hard to gauge, but if I was going to say he's failed at something, I don't think we've been consistently motivated for every game...It's difficult because you have to have leaders on the team that support you, and I'm not sure that's always been the case...But, ultimately, it falls to him...I've seen him TRY to motivate players during a game by taking them out after a bad stretch, but I do think he might use the bench more as a motivator as in who starts and who doesn't...

Winning...ah, now there's the rub...I know the under .500 in the B!G is one that's loudly proclaimed, and maybe that's justified...But I put up a post the other day that showed the rotations of every team in the B1G...Surprising that most of the top teams had a lot of upperclassmen...we were last with 3...I'll just say the B1G is very tough, and playing in it with the least upper class contributions I think has been telling...Next year should be a different story though...

So, do I think he's "perfect?" No...But there is one thing I do have an eye for, and that's leadership...He never ducks the responsibility...I think he's a good leader that'll improve over time...

And I'll say this...People were slobbering over Porkchop the other day, but there's one thing I don't think they consider...Porkchop had a rough go in the middle of his tenure at Purdue...one I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have survived at IU...But Purdue let him, to use more of a coach to player vernacular, they let him play through his mistakes...

I'd say giving CAM one more year would be letting him play through his...And we might be surprised at the outcome...

As soon as a person says not trying to be that guy they become that guy. I'm not trying to be that guy but what on Earth have you seen that makes you think next year will be better?

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

As soon as a person says not trying to be that guy they become that guy. I'm not trying to be that guy but what on Earth have you seen that makes you think next year will be better?

Your players never got better as they got older? 

Couple that with the fact that if everything goes according to Hoyle and Wisconsin and others aren't putting 24 years olds out on the floor, our experience will start catching up with the top teams in the conference...And that matters...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Couple that with the fact that if everything goes according to Hoyle and Wisconsin and others aren't putting 24 years olds out on the floor, our experience will start catching up with the top teams in the conference...And that matters...

You act like we are starting 5 freshman.  Look at how long our starters have been in the program.

AL-4

RP-3

Race-3

TJD-2

Franklin-2.

All of these guys have played major minutes in their time year so being young can't be used for this disaster

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yes it does matter. TJD will be in the G  league AL and Brunk will be gone.  We will still have a broken PG if he stays and 1 recruit coming in. Our bench that does not score will become starters. Even If I turn my head sideways swint really hard I still don't see that improvement.  I would love to be completely wrong

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Yes it does matter. TJD will be in the G  league AL and Brunk will be gone.  We will still have a broken PG if he stays and 1 recruit coming in. Our bench that does not score will become starters. Even If I turn my head sideways swint really hard I still don't see that improvement.  I would love to be completely wrong

Maybe...OR...

TJD comes back...I don't think it's a gimme he goes...

If he doesn't, I look for Brunk to come back...Race, Brunk, and Duncomb would be ok...

Parker Stewart will help us...And I think Lander will be better...I've seen interviews and that kid has the right mindset...stick with the program and improve...and even with his mistakes and the problems with his shot, I see a ton of potential and one of those rare guys that sees the floor differently than other players...

Armaan's ankles should be healed...

and I think Jerome Hunter will get over the hump...we see the potential all the time...I think next year he'll be close to the player people saw as a freshman in practices...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Maybe...OR...

If he doesn't, I look for Brunk to come back...Race, Brunk, and Duncomb would be ok...

Parker Stewart will help us...And I think Lander will be better...I've seen interviews and that kid has the right mindset...stick with the program and improve...and even with his mistakes and the problems with his shot, I see a ton of potential and one of those rare guys that sees the floor differently than other players...

and I think Jerome Hunter will get over the hump...we see the potential all the time...I think next year he'll be close to the player people saw as a freshman in practices...

I might agree about the players if they had a better coach but Archie hasn't shown the ability to get the team to compete at a high level.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe...OR...

We need to get TJD coming back out of our heads.  Even if not drafted he is not. He has been told 1 year in G league better chance to make a roster than 1 or 2 more years of college. Brunk will be able to practice law before he uses all his eligibility.  Would be shocked after having back surgery to delay your career longer. No facts or info just a gut feeling. Duncomb will have to contribute whether ready or not. He will be good in time. If we are better it won't be enough to recognize in my opinion. Metrics might say better I afraid eye test will say otherwise

8 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

also, we do realize it is very reasonable to think we're going to finish 10th or 11th out of 14 in our conference, right?  think about that.  

No big surprise. We were 10th last year and 9th the year before.

One reason we got rid of Crean was because of his inconsistency going from winning the BT, to 8th to winning the BT and then falling to 10th etc,.  Have to to admit that Archie is much more consistent (9th, 10th, 10th or 11th)!!!!

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We need to get TJD coming back out of our heads.  Even if not drafted he is not. He has been told 1 year in G league better chance to make a roster than 1 or 2 more years of college. Brunk will be able to practice law before he uses all his eligibility.  Would be shocked after having back surgery to delay your career longer. No facts or info just a gut feeling. Duncomb will have to contribute whether ready or not. He will be good in time. If we are better it won't be enough to recognize in my opinion. Metrics might say better I afraid eye test will say otherwise

We'll see...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

OK...That's fair...

So you think CAM is as good a coach as Painter?  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You act like we are starting 5 freshman.  Look at how long our starters have been in the program.

AL-4

RP-3

Race-3

TJD-2

Franklin-2.

All of these guys have played major minutes in their time year so being young can't be used for this disaster

Not at all...but in comparison to other B1G teams, they have more experience...

And experience counts. 

As for our bench, it isn't long until you're putting in freshmen...

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We'll see Saturday...

Gotcha. I just don’t think he can turn this group of guys into what IU and its fan base expects. The last several games (4)..the team looks closer to that team that just couldn’t put it all together during that stretch. I clearly don’t think we are so bad we can’t win another game...but I do think the confidence, the connection between teammates and what the coach is saying is pushing them to is broken. For a coach that hangs his hat on defense and what has the defense been the last half dozen games? It’s broke. It’s a disconnect.  His message to them is just no longer resonating. Thats what I mean. And I don’t think there is enough games left in the season to turn it around.

Archived