Reggie Miller for the next IU coach

Madison22

This is a lot, but just hear me out please.

He's the perfect choice.  He's smart, famous, likes Indiana (still has a house here), super articulate.  He loves shooting and winning.  He competes, and hates losing.

He's personable.  Relaxed, great with the press, thoughtful answers.  Great communicator.

He has that special aura of success.  He just does.

Sure, no coaching experience.  I get it.  But there are no other candidates.  All have equal or worse knocks against them.  For Reggie, experience is the only question.

Most importantly, Covid's suspension of the transfer rule is a once in a lifetime moment.  We could have 4 or 5 new starters next year, playing a whole new offense where scoring and shooting are valued.  If we hesitate, that moment passes.  Do it now.  Not a year from now.

I'd take Reggie Miller over Brad Stevens without hesitation.

The electricity he would add to the program would be instant.  We'd be relevant from day one.  Surround him with a seasoned staff, the way Michigan did Howard, and who knows?  Could we compete for a national title in two years?  That's where Michigan is in Howard's second year.

Or we can slog through another year of what we've got.  Ugh. 

Right now we're a joke.  The Purdue board is opposing Archie's buyout with an Archie Retention Fund.  They love him being here.

And speaking of Purdue:  so far this season, their freshmen have won Freshman of the Week four times.  By four different players.  They're succeeding now, and having a blast.

From a 2020 recruiting class was ranked below Indiana's.

That's coaching.  No lame excuses about it being a weird year and everyone needs patience and let's order graham crackers for snacks because our players are fragile.

Bring in Reggie Miller.  For the IU admin, don't just "put out feelers" or make a few quiet calls.  Meet with him.  Court him.  Commit to him.  Include his family in the process.  Make him understand we want and need him, and he'll have full support.

Pay him $6 million a year if you have to.  Just get it done.  

The donors would 100% support this (I have no evidence of that, but hey, I'm on a roll here.)

Imagine recruiting.  He calls a kid.  "Hey, it's Reggie Miller.  I was the best shooter in the NBA.  I hear you're good, too.  So come to Indiana and let's win some championships."

He was quoted in the NY Times as being open to coaching if the right situation presented itself.

Sign him.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have never even thought of him as a possibility before this post. 

For anyone that says hire an "IU guy" and maybe it'll be the next Howard/Michigan.. There is no IU guy that could happen with.

Howard is an exciting name for recruits. Just like Hardaway at Memphis. HS kids are excited to talk to and potentially be coached by guys like that.

The only person with Indiana connections that could potentially do anything close to what Howard is doing at Michigan would be Reggie, to be honest.

Although I think this would never happen, I honestly am not sure that I'd hate it if it did. Michigan fans were skeptical about Howard.. look at them now - and their recruiting. It's also backfired other places, as well. Interesting to think about though.

Just now, KDB said:

I would have never even thought of him as a possibility before this post. 

For anyone that says hire an "IU guy" and maybe it'll be the next Howard/Michigan.. There is no IU guy that could happen with.

Howard is an exciting name for recruits. Just like Hardaway at Memphis. HS kids are excited to talk to and potentially be coached by guys like that.

The only person with Indiana connections that could potentially do anything close to what Howard is doing at Michigan would be Reggie, to be honest.

Although I think this would never happen, I honestly am not sure that I'd hate it if it did. Michigan fans were skeptical about Howard.. look at them now - and their recruiting.

Difference is that Howard has been an assistant in the NBA where Reggie has never done that.

Nah, if you go that route, go big and beat UNC by hiring Michael Jordan.  What kid is going to say no to the GOAT?  Knight coached him in the Olympics so ties to the program right there.  And Nike would be sending him the best players money could buy....er....I mean best players they could convince to join his Airness.

MJ+IU=6, 7, 8, 9 Championships.  Get it done Dolson.

(And before anyone takes this seriously, this was posted with tongue firmly in cheek.)

24 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

This is a lot, but just hear me out please.

He's the perfect choice.  He's smart, famous, likes Indiana (still has a house here), super articulate.  He loves shooting and winning.  He competes, and hates losing.

He's personable.  Relaxed, great with the press, thoughtful answers.  Great communicator.

He has that special aura of success.  He just does.

Sure, no coaching experience.  I get it.  But there are no other candidates.  All have equal or worse knocks against them.  For Reggie, experience is the only question.

Most importantly, Covid's suspension of the transfer rule is a once in a lifetime moment.  We could have 4 or 5 new starters next year, playing a whole new offense where scoring and shooting are valued.  If we hesitate, that moment passes.  Do it now.  Not a year from now.

I'd take Reggie Miller over Brad Stevens without hesitation.

The electricity he would add to the program would be instant.  We'd be relevant from day one.  Surround him with a seasoned staff, the way Michigan did Howard, and who knows?  Could we compete for a national title in two years?  That's where Michigan is in Howard's second year.

Or we can slog through another year of what we've got.  Ugh. 

Right now we're a joke.  The Purdue board is opposing Archie's buyout with an Archie Retention Fund.  They love him being here.

And speaking of Purdue:  so far this season, their freshmen have won Freshman of the Week four times.  By four different players.  They're succeeding now, and having a blast.

That's coaching.  No lame excuses about it being a weird year and everyone needs patience and let's order graham crackers for snacks because our players are fragile.

Bring in Reggie Miller.  For the IU admin, don't just "put out feelers" or make a few quiet calls.  Meet with him.  Court him.  Commit to him.  Include his family in the process.  Make him understand we want and need him, and he'll have full support.

Pay him $6 million a year if you have to.  Just get it done.  

The donors would 100% support this (I have no evidence of that, but hey, I'm on a roll here.)

Imagine recruiting.  He calls a kid.  "Hey, it's Reggie Miller.  I was the best shooter in the NBA.  I hear you're good, too.  So come to Indiana and let's win some championships."

He was quoted in the NY Times as being open to coaching if the right situation presented itself.

Sign him.

Miller time is happening at IU now, let's hope it doesn't get repeated. 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Nah, if you go that route, go big and beat UNC by hiring Michael Jordan.  What kid is going to say no to the GOAT?  Knight coached him in the Olympics so ties to the program right there.  And Nike would be sending him the best players money could buy....er....I mean best players they could convince to join his Airness.

MJ+IU=6, 7, 8, 9 Championships.  Get it done Dolson.

(And before anyone takes this seriously, this was posted with tongue firmly in cheek.)

Shoot!!  Everyone knows that Dan Dakich outplayed MJ in college.  Dakich is who we need to hire!!  Right??   😎

46 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

2 of those freshmen are redshirts...Newman and Gillis...

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

He has been a HC and a long time assistant coach so he has experience

And has a glowing .340 winning percentage as a head coach...

If you're so stuck on an IU guy with head coaching experience in the NBA Randy Wittman would be a more solid choice. Not a home run by any stretch...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

And has a glowing .340 winning percentage as a head coach...

If you're so stuck on an IU guy with head coaching experience in the NBA Randy Wittman would be a more solid choice. Not a home run by any stretch...

I would look at Wittman but he wasn't successful either.  I just got a good vibe from what I heard from Keith in the podcast I listened to.  Again he is not on the top of my list but would look at him.

The only thing the " IU connection " appeals to is the older fan base.  As someone posted above, IU does not have a Howard. 

We don't need a coach that understands us!  He better understand todays players, and they better be drawn to play for him. Leal is probably the only kid on scholarship,  who came here because "it's IU" and even then, I don't think it was an automatic obvious pick over Stanford. 

NBA experience, a name that carries weight,  appeals to this generation.   Find that guy!

3 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

The only thing the " IU connection " appeals to is the older fan base.  As someone posted above, IU does not have a Howard. 

We don't need a coach that understands us!  He better understand todays players, and they better be drawn to play for him. Leal is probably the only kid on scholarship,  who came here because "it's IU" and even then, I don't think it was an automatic obvious pick over Stanford. 

NBA experience, a name that carries weight,  appeals to this generation.   Find that guy!

At the time of the hire Howard wasn't considered a homerun hire.

13 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Hi.

giphy (5).gif

Archived