Reggie Miller for the next IU coach

Madison22

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Rev_AK

I kinda like the Larry Bird idea. Hes only 64. And I would hope still has name recognition.  

Best part, not saying money isnt a factor, but his love of the game is probably unrivaled.  

Well he would only be here 3 years since he doesn't think you should keep a coach over 3 years

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 4:23 PM, NCHoosier32 said:

poster really said he'd take Reggie over Stevens right?

Yes, the poster did.  I got tired of watching people beg Brad Stevens a long time ago.   

I understand of lot of NBA players didn't make it as coaches.  Conversely, Juwan Howard just won National Coach of the Year for Michigan in only his second season. 

When Howard was hired, some people on this board said he would fail for the same reasons listed on these 3 pages about Miller.  They listed the same other NBA players who failed. 

Howard did not fail.  Because he wasn't those other players.  He was Juwan Howard, and the Michigan administration took the time to find out for themselves instead of assuming.

Reggie Miller is at least worth a meeting.  Ask him if he thinks he can compete for a national championship at Indiana in the next 2 years.  If yes, ask him exactly how he intends to make it happen.

And really listen to what he says. 

His net worth is over $120 million.  But he doesn't have a ring.  He would be motivated. 

What he would not say is Hey, you'll all need to be patient for several years while we slowly get old and stay old while the rest of the conference passes us by because we can't shoot but instead pass our time with weightlifting Tweets by a football trainer, but don't worry because every #150 rated recruit we bring is will be the next Vic. 

That's been the past 4 years here.  It's been nonsense from the first day.

There are no home run hires left.  All have baggage and risks.  Every single name.  It could be a long rebuild in front of us.  Yet again.  We could be stuck here for a very long time.

Reggie Miller might bring instant excitement, respect, and a modern brand.  It's worth a conversation to explore the possibility.

But rejecting him without even talking to him would be a missed opportunity.

Maybe he's not the guy.  Maybe he's not even close.  I say it's worth finding out.

1 minute ago, Madison22 said:

Yes, the poster did.  I got tired of watching people beg Brad Stevens a long time ago.   

I understand of lot of NBA players didn't make it as coaches.  Conversely, Juwan Howard just won National Coach of the Year for Michigan in only his second season. 

When Howard was hired, some people on this board said he would fail for the same reasons listed on these 3 pages about Miller.  They listed the same other NBA players who failed. 

Howard did not fail.  Because he wasn't those other players.  He was Juwan Howard, and the Michigan administration took the time to find out for themselves instead of assuming.

Reggie Miller is at least worth a meeting.  Ask him if he thinks he can compete for a national championship at Indiana in the next 2 years.  If yes, ask him exactly how he intends to make it happen.

And really listen to what he says. 

His net worth is over $120 million.  But he doesn't have a ring.  He would be motivated. 

What he would not say is Hey, you'll all need to be patient for several years while we slowly get old and stay old while the rest of the conference passes us by because we can't shoot but instead pass our time with weightlifting Tweets by a football trainer, but don't worry because every #150 rated recruit we bring is will be the next Vic. 

That's been the past 4 years here.  It's been nonsense from the first day.

There are no home run hires left.  All have baggage and risks.  Every single name.  It could be a long rebuild in front of us.  Yet again.  We could be stuck here for a very long time.

Reggie Miller might bring instant excitement, respect, and a modern brand.  It's worth a conversation to explore the possibility.

But rejecting him without even talking to him would be a missed opportunity.

Maybe he's not the guy.  Maybe he's not even close.  I say it's worth finding out.

no.  no.  no.  Reggie has never coached.  that's like saying Jordan, Magic, or Isiah would be good because they were good players.  doesn't work that way.  it's just not even a consideration.  

Archived