Rick Bozich Story On Archie

5fouls

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

I seriously question Archie's leadership. In his 4 seasons at IU, his teams never had good chemistry or floor leadership. I thought this year's team would finally be the first one. Maybe players get along pretty well, but the problem lies in the relationship with Archie. We won't know for sure, but what I saw in this short footage was an embarrassment. 

Over the course of this season, I've occasionally gone to a Dayton message board to see if they're saying anything about Archie. (I tried to register, but the site isn't allowing new posters for some reason)

A couple comments that stuck out to me were (paraphrasing) that his Dayton teams had chemistry problems and that he wasn't much of a recruiter. They are much happier with the coach they have now. 

40 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It usually is based on 30 games. 

Just out of curiosity, I looked up NCAA rules here and this is what I found...

"The penalty for a positive test for a substance in the cannabinoid class is withholding from competition for 50% of the season in all sports in which the student-athlete participates. A second positive test for a cannabinoid results in the loss of a year of eligibility and withholding from participation for 365 days from the test."

Is that not true?

Ah, never mind...Looked farther on down...

"What is the penalty for failing a school-administered drug test?
Each NCAA member school is responsible for determining whether to establish an institutional drug-testing program, at which time the school would be responsible for determining applicable penalties. If a testing program is established, though, the school is obligated to enforce the penalties. Failure to do so can lead to NCAA sanctions."

Funny that they let the schools dictate what looks like a much more lenient punishment... 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Ah, never mind...Looked farther on down...

"What is the penalty for failing a school-administered drug test?
Each NCAA member school is responsible for determining whether to establish an institutional drug-testing program, at which time the school would be responsible for determining applicable penalties. If a testing program is established, though, the school is obligated to enforce the penalties. Failure to do so can lead to NCAA sanctions."

Funny that they let the schools dictate what looks like a much more lenient punishment... 

Goes unpunished at most places other than run him til he pukes.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Over the course of this season, I've occasionally gone to a Dayton message board to see if they're saying anything about Archie. (I tried to register, but the site isn't allowing new posters for some reason)

A couple comments that stuck out to me were (paraphrasing) that his Dayton teams had chemistry problems and that he wasn't much of a recruiter. They are much happier with the coach they have now. 

I was lurking yesterday at UD Pride.  I was surprised at how few comments were posted about CAM at IU.  They do have a mostly silly thread to fire A Grant - but most reject the notion.

3 hours ago, Kodos said:

I was very happy when we hired Miller. I liked what he did at Dayton, and I thought, "Boy, what could he do with Indiana if he can have that kind of success at UD?"

Unfortunately, what I envisioned has never materialized. Our teams consistently can't shoot from deep, can't hit free throws, and don't hustle. Part of me doesn't even want to watch the games anymore, because I know it's most likely going to be a frustrating slog that ends in defeat. I really wanted Miller to succeed. I thought after we got rid of the last Crean holdovers, the chemistry might be better. But here we are again.

The last time I saw an IU team that really hustled was Crean's first team. I'd like to see a team that obviously cares and fights to win some day. But I know that won't be this year.

Agree completely,  but even TJD trots around.   I dont care how many points he puts up,,,he should show some leadership and hustle more.   Look at Garza for an example.  

15 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

I seriously question Archie's leadership. In his 4 seasons at IU, his teams never had good chemistry or floor leadership. I thought this year's team would finally be the first one. Maybe players get along pretty well, but the problem lies in the relationship with Archie. We won't know for sure, but what I saw in this short footage was an embarrassment. 

The lack of a floor leader has been obvious for a long time.  A good coach can fix it.  Archie cannot fix it.  

7 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

On the basketball side of things I am a big Izzo fan, the whining and other issues I can do without but he knows how to handle his team. Everyone was on him about him blowing up on Henry. Henry said it was deserved and best thing for him. Before game with IU tells team emphatically that they are playing for their spot on the team. He is not afraid to shake things up. CAM rolls the same 5 out every night same sub pattern.

My father in law hates IU but watches every game and hates it for me that they suck but he questioned me all day yesterday about why he subs everything we get on a roll. He reminds me after every game that CAM is far worse that Crean.  He also said something that I had not thought of. Over the course of the year there have been several runs we are on that get stopped because CAM subs in. He said it's just like the opposing coach calling TO to stop momentum but it's self inflicted. 

Your father in law is right on.   CAM subs in the middle of IU's momentum runs. ONe result is his teams rarely are able to build a lead.  He's got them running so many sets to TJD.   Drawing fouls can be a good strategy, but not with these players, who have a lousy FT %

Say what you want we were up 23 to 8 with I believe under 10 minutes to play in the first half. Ended up down 35  to 31. 
in Mich St game we were up big and cause 10 first half MSU turnovers. Yet only had a one point lead at half

Thats not because of substitution that’s because no leadership on the floor are the Coach! When you see the horrible turn overs we make time after time. That’s a poorly coached team! 
When I was in High School you made a turn over in practice you ran the steps! You started to pay attention to taking care of the ball. 
Four years and can anyone today say we are better then we where in Creans last couple years are Archie first year! 
we will finish at the bottom of the Big Ten ! 

33 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Say what you want we were up 23 to 8 with I believe under 10 minutes to play in the first half. Ended up down 35  to 31. 
in Mich St game we were up big and cause 10 first half MSU turnovers. Yet only had a one point lead at half

Thats not because of substitution that’s because no leadership on the floor are the Coach! When you see the horrible turn overs we make time after time. That’s a poorly coached team! 
When I was in High School you made a turn over in practice you ran the steps! You started to pay attention to taking care of the ball. 
Four years and can anyone today say we are better then we where in Creans last couple years are Archie first year! 
we will finish at the bottom of the Big Ten ! 

You’re right. We are not a better program AT ALL then we were. 

8 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

With the player contract that the coach has to honor will we ever be? Can someone who knows about the contract put up a link to it on here so we can all understand what we are up against. 

Make particular note of #2 and #9E. #8 also is open to a lot of interpretation.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2018/9/24/bill-of-rights.aspx

"When we put it out there," Glass says, "I would have thought we'd be one of many by now. In fact, we're not. It's still an unusual thing."

That's exactly the way he wants it. Setting a standard other universities refuse to meet gives Indiana a much-needed edge in the ruthlessly competitive world of college athletics.

"We might not always be the only school, but we will always be the first," he says. "And, for this, we're still pretty only."

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/10/2/general-first-of-its-kind-policy-student-athlete-bill-of-rights.aspx

On one hand, I’m kind of glad to see that there was some friction between players. No one should be happy with these results, and if there’s some frustration, at least that’s a sign that they still care and haven’t given up (although the effort at the end of the game begs to differ). 

OTOH, this is the second time in CAM’s 4 years that there are rumors of issues in the locker room, and this is a mostly different group of players. That’s not good if true. 

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Yep. At some point, if Dolson is going to bring him back for year five, he needs to state as much to snuff some of this stuff out. 

And it’ll have to be not only a support FOR Archie it’s going to be some defense as to WHY. And when Dolson does that then it shifts to him also.

32 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

And it’ll have to be not only a support FOR Archie it’s going to be some defense as to WHY. And when Dolson does that then it shifts to him also.

And the why can’t be money because that will just torpedo the program even more. Can’t be going into next season with everyone knowing Archie is out. You will see transfers out and nobody coming in. 

52 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The administration hates this line:

"That's simply not good enough and it's increasingly clear hiring him was yet another false step from a university whose brand is directly tied to the success of its basketball program."

Butler OTOH, embraced this. It put them on the map nationally, and led to a big jump in enrollment.

Archived