Rick Bozich Story On Archie

5fouls

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fans have been more than patient with Archie but unfortunately for him, and any coach that comes to Bloomington, IU fans understand the game of basketball. We know when we are seeing good basketball and when we are not.

We know good offense, good defense, high IQ play and when a team is committed to winning. That's not what we have seen the past four seasons. Even if they made the tournament last season it wouldn't erase how bad they have been this season.

When you see guys consistently out of position and the other team basically running a dunk drill or setting up for wide open uncontested shots all over the floor, you know things are not working. When guys who don't shoot well continue to fire up shots rather than running an offense to get the ball to the right guys in the right spots, it stands out. When you find your team is, for the most part, always the smallest team on the court in a conference that comes at you with size it is telling. When your team cannot shoot to save its life for four seasons straight, it's noticeable.  

IU fans have been patient. We were patient with Davis until it was clear he was over his head as a coach - with Crean until recruiting fell off the map and he made no attempts to play defense - and with Archie until this season. Archie will likely not get the same amount of time as Crean because of the growing restlessness of IU fans. But nobody can say the fans have not been patient.

19 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

The fans have been more than patient with Archie but unfortunately for him, and any coach that comes to Bloomington, IU fans understand the game of basketball. We know when we are seeing good basketball and when we are not.

We know good offense, good defense, high IQ play and when a team is committed to winning. That's not what we have seen the past four seasons. Even if they made the tournament last season it wouldn't erase how bad they have been this season.

When you see guys consistently out of position and the other team basically running a dunk drill or setting up for wide open uncontested shots all over the floor, you know things are not working. When guys who don't shoot well continue to fire up shots rather than running an offense to get the ball to the right guys in the right spots, it stands out. When you find your team is, for the most part, always the smallest team on the court in a conference that comes at you with size it is telling. When your team cannot shoot to save its life for four seasons straight, it's noticeable.  

IU fans have been patient. We were patient with Davis until it was clear he was over his head as a coach - with Crean until recruiting fell off the map and he made no attempts to play defense - and with Archie until this season. Archie will likely not get the same amount of time as Crean because of the growing restlessness of IU fans. But nobody can say the fans have not been patient.

The fans have not been patient......😁

Articles by Bozich are always informative and this was no exception.  Two sentences really stood out to me:

"It’s a poorly coached and motivated group."

and

"What worked at Dayton is not working at Indiana — and hasn’t, really, since Miller’s first game, the night when Indiana allowed 17 3-point field goals and lost to Indiana State by 21."

Pretty damning claims, and I can't argue with either.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

People ask him to show accountability, he does, and now it's an "embarrassment"? 

If you have a team and there's never been a conflict, you really don't have a team...You have individuals working along side each other...

Do you really think what you saw was common in college basketball teams? Yes it's absolutely true that more conflicts come with more people. But a good leader knows how to resolve conflicts and to drive the energy to positive direction. What we saw was a dysfunctioning team, and Archie had to admit it in post game press because it was broadcasted. We see this type of conflicts in pro games, not so much in college basketball games. 

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Do you really think what you saw was common in college basketball teams? Yes it's absolutely true that more conflicts come with more people. But a good leader knows how to resolve conflicts and to drive the energy to positive direction. What we saw was a dysfunctioning team, and Archie had to admit it in post game press because it was broadcasted. We see this type of conflicts in pro games, not so much in college basketball games. 

I've been in that situation many times with employees and peers...and YES, it's common in all sports...

Difficult to resolve right then and there, but Archie ordering him to the locker room, then having him come back and work it out with Al seemed to work...

It's a competitive game, for God's sake...Emotions run high...And Jerome is an emotional dude...

About 3 weeks ago, I saw Jerome say in an interview that his confidence was high because Archie had faith in him...So I don't see a rift there...

It's just that this "piling on" is what gets my goat...His record, ultimately, will make him sink or swim...There's really no need to create stuff out of a 60  second video clip to show how "bad" Archie is...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've been in that situation many times with employees and peers...and YES, it's common in all sports...

Difficult to resolve right then and there, but Archie ordering him to the locker room, then having him come back and work it out with Al seemed to work...

It's a competitive game, for God's sake...Emotions run high...And Jerome is an emotional dude...

About 3 weeks ago, I saw Jerome say in an interview that his confidence was high because Archie had faith in him...So I don't see a rift there...

It's just that this "piling on" is what gets my goat...His record, ultimately, will make him sink or swim...There's really no need to create stuff out of a 60  second video clip to show how "bad" Archie is...

Hope you're right. My point is if a coach is a good leader, things usually don't come to that point. 

Just now, addictedtoIU said:

Hope you're right. My point is if a coach is a good leader, things usually don't come to that point. 

Come on...Is Izzo a good leader? Self? Knight? 

Every good team has its conflicts...If I'm afraid to confront someone on my team, that's not a good thing...In the heat of battle, it happens...

About 6 years ago, I was at a conference table with more than a few FAA big shots, and one of them gave another one the finger...I cracked up...

But they resolved it...

This is a broken record. How many players are going to have supposed "attitude problems" at the end of the year at IU while Archie Miller is the coach??? Smith, Green, Davis, and others that I'm probably forgetting and now Hunter. I made the joke yesterday that something else would come out that people could blame the end of season collapse on and it looks like this might be part of it. This is ridiculous lol.

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

This is a broken record. How many players are going to have supposed "attitude problems" at the end of the year at IU while Archie Miller is the coach??? Smith, Green, Davis, and others that I'm probably forgetting and now Hunter. I made the joke yesterday that something else would come out that people could blame the end of season collapse on and it looks like this might be part of it. This is ridiculous lol.

Who said it was an "attitude problem?" He had a disagreement with a teammate...Looked at the end like they resolved it...

Boy, you fellas like to kick dirt on the grave before the casket is even in there, don't you?

This collapse has been coming since the Loss to Northwestern opening game of the Big Ten season! I’ve lost all faith in Archie and that he can fix it. I also believe he knows it and doesn’t care. He’ll still get a big check. He can you can everyone can blame the fan base! The truth is the fan base would be just fine if you gave them a reason to cheer for IU. We are pissed because we are embarrassed of this product we’ve been force to watch these last six years are better! 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Who said it was an "attitude problem?" He had a disagreement with a teammate...Looked at the end like they resolved it...

Boy, you fellas like to kick dirt on the grave before the casket is even in there, don't you?

I'm with you on that. Something happened, they hugged it out. Big deal. 

Archie using the word 'fractured' makes me wonder if there isn't something a bit deeper going on though. 

Just now, bronkonagurski said:

Archie using the word 'fractured' makes me wonder if there isn't something a bit deeper going on though. 

I thought he was talking more on the floor than in the locker room...Said they went quiet on communications, and effort...

I was very happy when we hired Miller. I liked what he did at Dayton, and I thought, "Boy, what could he do with Indiana if he can have that kind of success at UD?"

Unfortunately, what I envisioned has never materialized. Our teams consistently can't shoot from deep, can't hit free throws, and don't hustle. Part of me doesn't even want to watch the games anymore, because I know it's most likely going to be a frustrating slog that ends in defeat. I really wanted Miller to succeed. I thought after we got rid of the last Crean holdovers, the chemistry might be better. But here we are again.

The last time I saw an IU team that really hustled was Crean's first team. I'd like to see a team that obviously cares and fights to win some day. But I know that won't be this year.

1 minute ago, Kodos said:

I was very happy when we hired Miller. I liked what he did at Dayton, and I thought, "Boy, what could he do with Indiana if he can have that kind of success at UD?"

Unfortunately, what I envisioned has never materialized. Our teams consistently can't shoot from deep, can't hit free throws, and don't hustle. Part of me doesn't even want to watch the games anymore, because I know it's most likely going to be a frustrating slog that ends in defeat. I really wanted Miller to succeed. I thought after we got rid of the last Crean holdovers, the chemistry might be better. But here we are again.

The last time I saw an IU team that really hustled was Crean's first team. I'd like to see a team that obviously cares and fights to win some day. But I know that won't be this year.

I would say that the other teams has hustled since then

I have played on many organized sports teams. And I can say for certain if there were problems among the players and a couple punks was not happy with playing time etc. Oh it got straightened out among the players. A good team captain would take care of these issues if he cares about winning. I am not putting this all on the players by any stretch. Plenty of blame to go around. Miller is not and never was the man for the job and should already have his pink slip in hand. I don't see enough accountability from the players by a long shot and Miller has not created the needed culture to foster such actions. 

47 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Of course he can. The guys have ability maybe not elite but if the basketball lock room waa like the football one I guarantee Allen would have more wins. He could hire an assistant for the x and o if need be

Imagine if Knight wanted to coach football.  He’d kick ass with the amount of work he puts into it and as smart as he is.  I think he’d have a physical team lol. 

Archived