Who ya pulling for in the NCAAT?

rico

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rico said:

Turncoat!   LOL

Haha. For me, there’s not much downside for us this year tournament-wise. Sure I’d love to win some games in the tournament but I think we’ve exceeded most (if not all) expectations people had for us this year. I was looking at preseason B1G predictions and most thought we’d be in that 8-10 range. 

Grew up an Illini fan because both my parents were Illinois grads (probably would have went there, but the in-state tuition at IU was too good to pass up, not to mention the campuses aren’t even remotely comparable).  Love when the Hoosiers beat the Illini so I can lord it over my dad, but I always root for them otherwise.

Going to the national championship game in St. Louis with my dad in 2005 is one of my favorite childhood memories.  I might get try to get tickets for us if they make the second weekend.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I understand not wanting another undefeated team but it is not like we are the only team that has ever done it.  We are just the last one to do it so to me it is not that big of a deal.

That undefeated season is the single biggest thing the IU brand has going for it these days.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That undefeated season is the single biggest thing the IU brand has going for it these days.  

I’d say it’s the players Crean put in the NBA that are having success.  Vic being an all-star, Zeller being a solid role player, Bryant and OG getting nice second contracts, Yogi and Morgan getting a shot.  In retrospect, we never should’ve fired the guy...

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’d say it’s the players Crean put in the NBA that are having success.  Vic being an all-star, Zeller being a solid role player, Bryant and OG getting nice second contracts, Yogi and Morgan getting a shot.  In retrospect, we never should’ve fired the guy...

Your post seems to indicate that those guys are more of the 'Crean' brand than they are the 'IU' brand.  

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Your post seems to indicate that those guys are more of the 'Crean' brand than they are the 'IU' brand.  

Nah, they’re still IU guys — Crean’s brand will never outweigh the school’s.  Unfortunately Archie can’t hold a candle to Crean in terms of player development.  But I think recruits and the general public (at least younger people) think a lot more about those players than the undefeated season when they think of IU.

It's been 34 years since we won a national title.  Let's go back to 1987 for a second.  Did anyone on the board that was old enough to follow IU in '87 consider San Francisco to be a top brand in NCAA basketball at that time?  No, of course not.  But, the reality is that San Francisco won back to back championships in '55 and '56, which is 'only' 31 & 32 years prior to '87.  While we treasure our banners, their meaning diminishes over time, just as San Francisco's did.

That said, every single March, the whole world is reminded that Indiana was the last undefeated champion.  Millions of people are reminded that Indiana basketball used to mean something.  No one was reminding us in 1987 that San Francisco won a couple of championships 30+ years ago.    And, no one in 2021 is going to remind the world that Indiana won in '87 & '81.  But, will they be reminded about '76?  Damn right they will.

Don't ever underestimate how much that season means to our position in basketball history.  I sure hope 10 years from now, people aren't reminded that there has been no undefeated team since the '21 Baylor squad.  If so, unless we have won another of our own in that timeframe, we're San Francisco at that point.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

It's been 34 years since we won a national title.  Let's go back to 1987 for a second.  Did anyone on the board that was old enough to follow IU in '87 consider San Francisco to be a top brand in NCAA basketball at that time?  No, of course not.  But, the reality is that San Francisco won back to back championships in '55 and '56, which is 'only' 31 & 32 years prior to '87.  While we treasure our banners, their meaning diminishes over time, just as San Francisco's did.

That said, every single March, the whole world is reminded that Indiana was the last undefeated champion.  Millions of people are reminded that Indiana basketball used to mean something.  No one was reminding us in 1987 that San Francisco won a couple of championships 30+ years ago.    And, no one in 2021 is going to remind the world that Indiana won in '87 & '81.  But, will they be reminded about '76?  Damn right they will.

Don't ever underestimate how much that season means to our position in basketball history.  I sure hope 10 years from now, people aren't reminded that there has been no undefeated team since the '21 Baylor squad.  If so, unless we have won another of our own in that timeframe, we're San Francisco at that point.

Love what you are saying...but the Dons are a piss poor example.  There was a scandal there that ended the basketball program.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Love what you are saying...but the Dons are a piss poor example.  There was a scandal there that ended the basketball program.

Program was shut down in '82 and resurrected 3-4 years later.  Been to 1 tournament since that time,  My point though is that they never got past the Sweet Sixteen after those two Championships.  

I root for other Big Ten teams to get to the Sweet Sixteen or Elite 8, but can't imagine rooting for them to get any further. 

Certainly can't imagine rooting for any of them to win the title. 

I guess I'll just be rooting for fun/good games. I guess it would Gonzaga, but can't root for them being undefeated. 

Can’t see myself rooting for Big Ten teams , especially Purdue to go any farther than he Elite 8. We are recruiting against these schools. Right now we need all the help we can get.   Michigan is the team that could win it all this year.   Purdue with Kaufman will be a load the next few years. 

23 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Can’t see myself rooting for Big Ten teams , especially Purdue to go any farther than he Elite 8. We are recruiting against these schools. Right now we need all the help we can get.   Michigan is the team that could win it all this year.   Purdue with Kaufman will be a load the next few years. 

Kaufman better be as good as advertised or he isn’t getting much run.  I fully expect wheeler to bolt but they will return some very solid wings that will effect is PT.  Purdue is my Big Ten favorite next year as I fully expect Michigan to lose a couple of guys in Wagner, Livers, and Smith.  

50 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Kaufman better be as good as advertised or he isn’t getting much run.  I fully expect wheeler to bolt but they will return some very solid wings that will effect is PT.  Purdue is my Big Ten favorite next year as I fully expect Michigan to lose a couple of guys in Wagner, Livers, and Smith.  

You think Dickinson stays?

Archived