Michigan Pre Game Thread (11am CST)

IowaHoosierFan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

First game in a while I might not get to watch live due to having Little Keet's birthday party on Saturday.  We've had some big hills to climb at times this year, but this one feels like a mountain. 

It’s my wife’s birthday tomorrow too, great day to have a birthday! I’ll probably miss this one as well. Maybe that will help us pull out a miracle. 

4 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I have a work call with a colleague who is a big UM fan scheduled for 1 hour after this game.  I am... let's just say not excited about how it may go.

Tell your co-worker you've recorded the game, and he shouldn't spoil things by telling you what happened.

Watching the Big Ten classic game with Indiana vs Michigan at Ann Arbor from 1987.   The game that was played back then was vastly more entertaining than the game played today in college basketball,  

It's almost unrecognizable.  

• Mid-Range jumpers galore.  And, the kids could make them.
  • Frieder left Gary Grant in with 2 fouls in the first half and he picked up his 3rd.  Likewise, Knight is playing Smart with 4 fouls and 9 minutes still remaining.
  • 10 minutes into the game before either coach substituted.
  • Knight benched Garrett late in the first half for Eyl, and Eyl started the 2nd half.  Garrett has yet to play in the second with 7 minutes left.
  • IU had 11 or 12 turnovers in the first 10 minutes.  Both teams have to have about 20.
  • Alford had a 5 point play.  Hit a 3 and the player fouled him on his follow through after the shot.  Back then he got a 1:1 since the ball had been released.
  • Some crazy plays.  A Michigan player actually pump-faked a free throw and it was called a violation.  I had never seen that before.  Several other things that you just don't see anymore.
  • Several offensive fouls called that would be defensive fouls today.
  • Alford wins the game with a runner in the lane with 1 second left.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Watching the Big Ten classic game with Indiana vs Michigan at Ann Arbor from 1987.   The game that was played back then was vastly more entertaining than the game played today in college basketball,  

• Frieder left Gary Grant in with 2 fouls in the first half and he picked up his 3rd.  Likewise, Knight is playing Smart with 4 fouls and 9 minutes still remaining.
  • Knight benched Garrett late in the first half for Eyl, and Eyl started the 2nd half.  Garrett has yet to play in the second with 7 minutes left.
  • IU had 11 or 12 turnovers in the first 10 minutes.  Both teams have to have about 20.
  • Alford had a 5 point play.  Hit a 3 and the player fouled him on his follow through after the shot.  Back then he got a 1:1 since the ball had been released.
  • Some crazy plays.  A Michigan player actually pump-faked a free throw and it was called a violation.  I had never seen that before.  Several other things that you just don't see anymore.

Yeah, I watched it too...my takeaways were...

Alford had an ungodly quick release 

Ricky Calloway used the backboard as well as any player IU ever had 

Gary Grant was a GREAT defender and overall player 

I still hate Antoine Joubert (Fatso)

Just now, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I watched it too...my takeaways were...

Alford had an ungodly quick release 

Ricky Calloway used the backboard as well as any player IU ever had 

Gary Grant was a GREAT defender and overall player 

I still hate Antoine Joubert (Fatso)

Vitale made some not so subtle references that Joubert was fat.  Something you would never hear today.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

When I get fed up with the game today I watch old games to remember what real offensive basketball is supposed to look like

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me you would have to start Hunter and go bigger since UM front line is so big Liver 6'8, Wagner 6'9, Dickinson 7'1

Archie sent Hunter to the locker room the last game I dont think he will be starting. The transfer portal may be in this one's future.

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I am pretty sure that was a "Big Monday" game on ESPN?

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Vitale made some not so subtle references that Joubert was fat.  Something you would never hear today.

The other thing that struck me is when Michigan made their runs, Vitale kept up with his "better get a TO baby!" schtick...

Apparently he hadn't watched The General coach too much before that...RMK rarely called a timeout when a team was making a run on IU...He let the players figure it out...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The other thing that struck me is when Michigan made their runs, Vitale kept up with his "better get a TO baby!" schtick...

Apparently he hadn't watched The General coach too much before that...RMK rarely called a timeout when a team was making a run on IU...He let the players figure it out...

I really tried to find a box score for that game, but couldn't.  I bet IU had to finish with 25+ turnovers.  Both teams made a cringe-worthy number of sloppy plays.  

Archived