RIP Larry Clisby

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Dakich choked up too on the Ill/Wisky broadcast talking about it. 

By all accounts Clis was a good guy.  Former PU football announcer Joe McConnell lived a few houses down from me until his passing.  He and Fisch had an interesting relationship.  Don gave him a bottle of nice liquor at his retirement, Joe's wife ended up with it because it wasn't Joe's preferred beverage. lol

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

By all accounts Clis was a good guy.  Former PU football announcer Joe McConnell lived a few houses down from me until his passing.  He and Fisch had an interesting relationship.  Don gave him a bottle of nice liquor at his retirement, Joe's wife ended up with it because it wasn't Joe's preferred beverage. lol

How was it interesting if you don’t mind me asking?

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

How was it interesting if you don’t mind me asking?

I got the impression that they were friendly, but perhaps there was a personality clash.  I talked with Joe occasionally and he didn't lack for opinions - he thought Crean was an absolute dipsh*t, lol.  Maybe it was just rivalry.  He told me how he was responsible for bringing Bob Lamey to Indy from Carolina before he became "Hockey Bob".  Has some funny comments about Chet Coppick (and his arrogance) too.  Since his passing I've wondered what happened to his collection of tapes - he told me he a ton of them from games he called and wanted to transfer them to digital formats.  The tapes probably went to one of his kids, I assume.

Another neighbor who was close to Joe told me about the retirement gift and things like that. They played golf together regularly several years back (obviously).

Archived