Michigan Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AshtonHershey said:

That's fair- it just feels like we treat players like heroes when often they show poor effort, discipline, and performance. If there were speeches for individual players after they won a conference championship, I would be fine with that. Having everyone who graduates from IU give a 10-minute speech would seem excessive.

I'm really don't mean this to be rude or to be going at you, but as someone that played 4 years of college basketball, and for a program that wasn't great, your take on this is borderline offensive. 

The work, time and dedication that goes into being a college athlete, regardless of the W-L record deserves recognition. 

The missed holidays, the missed Spring Breaks while your buddies are in Jamaica or Florida, hours and hours offseason and preseason work while your friends are partying, etc, etc.  

It deserves recognition regardless of what the standings say. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonHershey said:

That's fair- it just feels like we treat players like heroes when often they show poor effort, discipline, and performance. If there were speeches for individual players after they won a conference championship, I would be fine with that. Having everyone who graduates from IU give a 10-minute speech would seem excessive.

When did these seniors show any of that because Al has worked hard for 4 years.  He over came his talent level in the big ten to really have a good career.  Bybee came in as a walk on and worked his butt off for 4 years without any guarantee he would ever see the floor.  Brunk has over came a lot in his 5 years of college basketball with losing his father as a freshman at Butler.  he cam ein here last year and worked his butt off and contributed to the team last year as a starter.  this year he had back surgery and haven't been able to play.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was happy with the effort and thought we played fairy well but it just shows the discrepancy between the two teams in talent level and player development. There is no excuse that after 4 years that we are so far behind in talent level and development.

Not to mention, experience...you always forget that...

5 minutes ago, AshtonHershey said:

Dude Iu has been having senior speeches my whole life and I am 50 years old

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

not a bad half.  my question about us always saying the officials aren't giving us a fair shake - what is the theory?  they don't like us?  we say that for away games because they are getting the calls at home, but then say the same at home.  are they all out to get us because we stink, so they don't like us?

No, I think its just poor officiating in this game. It past games its been in our favor, and in others its been bad all the way around, and in some it's good all the way around. 

This is a game where its been pretty one-sidedly poor. 

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

We’re not even playing particularly poorly, but Michigan controlled the entire half.  It’s funny to hear announcers always trying to prop IU up as a “solid team.”  We’re just bad.  Not enough talent.

I honestly don’t think this is a “bad” team, we’re just maddeningly inconsistent. When we’re playing well, we can play with pretty much anyone. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I'm really don't mean this to be rude or to be going at you, but as someone that played 4 years of college basketball, and for a program that wasn't great, your take on this is borderline offensive. 

The work, time and dedication that goes into being a college athlete, regardless of the W-L record deserves recognition. 

The missed holidays, the missed Spring Breaks while your buddies are in Jamaica or Florida, hours and hours offseason and preseason work while your friends are partying, etc, etc.  

It deserves recognition regardless of what the standings say. 

Agreed! Tip of the hat to you and anyone that has committed their time and effort to collegiate basketball! I was asked to be a walk-on my senior year after another walk-on left the team and I decided I didn’t want to push my graduation out. Kudos to those that commit to the time and effort on top of sacrificing family, friends, and a typical college experience.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not to mention, experience...you always forget that...

Wagner is a sophomore and Dickinson is a freshman and those two are the one killing us.  Smith is in his first year at UM so the 3 players who totally killing us has been in the UM program for a total of 4 years

4 minutes ago, Inequality said:

These Michigan kids don't have some super talent that makes them a hard team to beat. They just get it done. They make good decisions and execute with determination.

There is talent on this IU team but its like a basket of un-matched socks. SMH

This....

TJD and the rest of the team just don't show up at the same level on the same day often enough to move the needle higher this season.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

18-9 free throws is a joke given how much we played in the paint offensively. 

And, it's actually worse than that.  Foul discrepancies have the most impact in the first 15 minutes of the half.  One team is in the bonus early and one team has starters on the bench in foul trouble.   3-4 make-up calls to 'even' things out in the final 3 minutes of the half do not begin to diminish the damage that is already done.   

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

I honestly don’t think this is a “bad” team, we’re just maddeningly inconsistent. When we’re playing well, we can play with pretty much anyone. 

I was listening to a Crimson Cast pod and they mentioned the inability of this team to replicate anything consistantly. I agree with that completely. It is maddening like you say.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

No, it’s really just a bad team.  TJD is literally the only player on the entire roster that would start for any of the top 5 teams in the conference.  The talent level is just not there to compete in the Big Ten.

Also why sit Hunter and Durham so much in the half with 2 fouls.  I never get why coaches think that 2 fouls in the first half is such a big deal.  You can lose the game in that stretch where you sit guys with 2 fouls so what good is it to have them having only two fouls in the second half if the game is over.

Archived