Michigan Game Thread

KDB

9 minutes ago, AshtonHershey said:

That's fair- it just feels like we treat players like heroes when often they show poor effort, discipline, and performance. If there were speeches for individual players after they won a conference championship, I would be fine with that. Having everyone who graduates from IU give a 10-minute speech would seem excessive.

Nah, I have been as hard on the team as anyone and I am on record saying we give to much deference to guys BEFORE they play a game, but I think recognizing the seniors is a good thing and should continue.  They put in 4 years of work on the court and in ckass to get to that point.  They deserve the recognition for that at the least.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

So seems like everyone can agree the we are consistently inconsistent. So what does that say? Bad coaching, bad focus, bad practice habits, no talent? all the above? 

Well, it’s not talent if we’re competing with top 5 teams (and even beating one of them twice). 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wagner is a sophomore and Dickinson is a freshman and those two are the one killing us.  Smith is in his first year at UM so the 3 players who totally killing us has been in the UM program for a total of 4 years

You have 5 players on the court at a time Scott...playing defense, passing, rebounding...Michigan has 5 senior contributors, we have 1...

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Also why sit Hunter and Durham so much in the half with 2 fouls.  I never get why coaches think that 2 fouls in the first half is such a big deal.  You can lose the game in that stretch where you sit guys with 2 fouls so what good is it to have them having only two fouls in the second half if the game is over.

The way a game is being called factors in.Not every instance warrants sitting the kids with 2 .

Gotta admit it just hasn't always made sense when Archie has sat kids in general.Today at least lends to why since we aren't being done any favors by the stripes.

1 minute ago, jblaz13 said:

The way a game is being called factors in.Not every instance warrants sitting the kids with 2 .

Gotta admit it just hasn't always made sense when Archie has sat kids in general.Today at least lends to why since we aren't being done any favors by the stripes.

It is just not IU but our game at home against Iowa where they set Garza the last 12 minutes of the first half.

The offense stagnates with Phinisee.  That first possession was a mess.  And he never learns.  When we complain about the offense in terms of it stagnating or getting too late in the shot clock, there’s a good chance 10 is involved.  At some point, the staff can figure out that it’s just beyond his comprehension. 

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

The offense stagnates with Phinisee.  That first possession was a mess.  And he never learns.  When we complain about the offense in terms of it stagnating or getting too late in the shot clock, there’s a good chance 10 is involved.  At some point, the staff can figure out that it’s just beyond his comprehension. 

But he got a good look at a layup but just missed it.  it is funny that guess Johnson commented on how many layups IU misses

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is just not IU but our game at home against Iowa where they set Garza the last 12 minutes of the first half.

Some coaches are definitely more known for bad sub patterns than others.Fran is just Fran to me .lol

He's blown it with all of his loaded teams over his entire tenure. I don't mind seeing them extend him for that reason.

Edit: To expand slightly on this some of it is lack of understanding of a players IQ.

Some kids respond to foul trouble with better focus and self-control .

When it comes to high IQ guys with talent usually boils down to the coach just doesnt have the balls to take a chance with players who are a bit more cerebral.

Not sure if lacking testicular forttitude fits  Archie so well,  as much as his criteria for a shorter or longer leash with certain kids does.

We will not win this game playing half court.  We may not get embarrassed, but we won't win.

The only chance at winning is to go all helter-skelter on them and get them to make mistakes.  Yeah, we might get crushed.  But, if the planets align, it gives us a chance we don't have by playing normal IU tempo.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Maybe it’s a European thing but could Wagner be any cockier?  I don’t mean confident. I mean cocky.

I know it's wrong to say so, but I've encountered it on many occasions (particularly with Germans).  I can say it because I am of German extraction 🙃

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

We will not win this game playing half court.  We may not get embarrassed, but we won't win.

The only chance at winning is to go all helter-skelter on them and get them to make mistakes.  Yeah, we might get crushed.  But, if the planets align, it gives us a chance we don't have by playing normal IU tempo.

I can't remember an IU team getting out and running since the VO and Yogi days. Transition offense is a thing of the past.

Archived