TJD Status Next Year

Purpose16

6 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Unless this info is wrong but average G-league player makes 35k a season and minimum salary for a rookie nba player is almost 900k so it would actually benefit him to stay a year and guarantee himself at the very least a second round pick in the draft, although I think he’d end up in the top 30. 

He may also consider potential for injury.  Get hurt next year and lose 1 year of earnings and see your stock drop.

That said, beyond the desire to play professionally and put some schekels in his wallet, IMO TJD is far from ready to be a NBA level contributor.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Purpose16 said:

He needs to stay. He is much better than a late second round pick ...which is where draft boards have him.

IMO next year would be the worst in terms of draft position for him. It’s the “double draft”, with all the 2021 OADs and the 2022 high schoolers in one class. 

3 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

He may also consider potential for injury.  Get hurt next year and lose 1 year of earnings and see your stock drop.

That said, beyond the desire to play professionally and put some schekels in his wallet, IMO TJD is far from ready to be a NBA level contributor.

Idk, I think teams would still draft on potential. OG was a first rounder despite having that ACL injury during it. 

I was just saying that coming back for another year of college to potentially earn almost a guaranteed million dollars his first year makes more sense than jumping to the G-League and only getting 35k a year...not to mention, he may have the chance to earn a lot of sponsorship $ if that bill passes for collegiate athletes.

I have no idea what he'll do, but I'll say that I can't see him playing on an NBA court anytime soon. 

Role players in the NBA, which is his absolute ceiling, typically need to have something that differentiates them. What is that for TJD? 

In terms of the three NBA bigs we've had in the past decade, all of which are role players, TJD would be ranked a very distant fourth in terms of skillset. 

8 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Ok your TJD, you see what’s happening every game. You see the players coming back! Why would you waste another year. I would either go Pro or Transfer!

To me the injuries have hurt TJD’s stock and his inability to hit the short jumper... I do think a lot of the shots he’s missed is because he’s had to take on more of a load than most. I mean look at Luka Garza against us the two games he played.... we made him TIRED at the end of both games and it affected him. TJD has that every game non stop. To me that has an impact

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

In terms of the three NBA bigs we've had in the past decade, all of which are role players, TJD would be ranked a very distant fourth in terms of skillset. 

Hmmm... I actually don’t know about this.  What could Noah Vonleh do that TJD can’t? I’ve never really thought it about before, but they’re basically the same player.  And I’d say that TJD has been much better all around than Vonleh was, especially this year.

It’s interesting that Vonleh was a lottery pick in 2014 and TJD won’t even get drafted in 2021.  I think that says something about how much the league has changed in seven years.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hmmm... I actually don’t know about this.  What could Noah Vonleh do that TJD can’t? I’ve never really thought it about before, but they’re basically the same player.  And I’d say that TJD has been much better all around than Vonleh was, especially this year.

It’s interesting that Vonleh was a lottery pick in 2014 and TJD won’t even get drafted in 2021.  I think that says something about how much the league has changed in seven years.

Not remotely the same players. As a freshman Vonleh was 16-33 from three (48%) and 71% FTs

I believe all the advice he needs is right at his asking! I believe he is a great player. Needs to become a great finisher. I don’t feel his going to be a great pro. Not enough range . I think his leaving all depends on if we get some transfers and look like we could complete for a Big Ten Title and go to the tournament. 

TJD has the athletic ability, attitude and future ability that NBA scouts will like.  The kid is a staff stuffer when every scouting report says to sag off perimeter and focus on him.  

Does he need a jump shot - without doubt!  If I was a coach, I would of ran plays for him to shoot free throw line extended or above during one of the early games against the give me a win game.  Or, when being blown out.  Its all about confidence with him.  You can tell he is second guessing it with how long he takes.  

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not remotely the same players. As a freshman Vonleh was 16-33 from three (48%) and 71% FTs

I guess I don’t remember shooting the three being a big part of Vonleh’s game or a big reason why he got drafted.  That’s a nice percentage, but averaging half a made three on one attempt per game isn’t much.  And their FT% isn’t much different at all — TJD is 67% at the line for his career.

Their freshman year stats are almost exactly the same, with Vonleh being a slightly better rebounder (9.0 to 8.4 rpg) and TJD being a slightly better scorer (13.5 to 11.3 ppg).  TJD’s scoring average has obviously gone way up this year.

Both were/are talented post scorers and rebounders with similar body types/athleticism and similarly inconsistent motors.  Is 16 total made threes really the entire difference between being a lottery pick and going undrafted?

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I guess I don’t remember shooting the three being a big part of Vonleh’s game or a big reason why he got drafted.  That’s a nice percentage, but averaging half a made three on one attempt per game isn’t much.  And their FT% isn’t much different at all — TJD is 67% at the line for his career.

Their freshman year stats are almost exactly the same, with Vonleh being a slightly better rebounder (9.0 to 8.4 rpg) and TJD being a slightly better scorer (13.5 to 11.3 ppg).  TJD’s scoring average has obviously gone way up this year.

Both were/are talented post scorers and rebounders with similar body types/athleticism and similarly inconsistent motors.  Is 16 total made threes really the entire difference between being a lottery pick and going undrafted?

I believe it is. It clearly shows the ability to step out and knock down a shot off a pick and pop. To me TJD is more similar to Ethan Happ, although Happ was a better passer out of doubles (something TJD needs to improve) and had more post moves. However, Happ was worse from FT line. Similar to TJD, Happ didn't attempt a three his first two seasons. He averaged 14 and 9 as a soph. His junior and senior years, he averaged 17/8 & 18/10, but was a combined 1-16 from three. He wasn't drafted.

Former Wisconsin Badgers big man Ethan Happ is undoubtedly one of the best playmakers at his position in the 2019 NBA draft class.

The four-year starter was Big Ten Rookie of the Year in 2016, a two-time finalist for the Wooden Award and last year won the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award for the nation’s top center. He was a Consensus All-American Second-Team and was twice recognized for All-Defensive honors in his Conference. Twice, Happ recorded the best Player Efficiency Rating (PER) in the Big Ten while also finishing Top 5 in the NCAA for Box Plus-Minus.

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I believe it is. It clearly shows the ability to step out and knock down a shot off a pick and pop. To me TJD is more similar to Ethan Happ, although Happ was a better passer out of doubles (something TJD needs to improve) and had more post moves. However, Happ was worse from FT line. Similar to TJD, Happ didn't attempt a three his first two seasons. He averaged 14 and 9 as a soph. His junior and senior years, he averaged 17/8 & 18/10, but was a combined 1-16 from three. He wasn't drafted.

Former Wisconsin Badgers big man Ethan Happ is undoubtedly one of the best playmakers at his position in the 2019 NBA draft class.

The four-year starter was Big Ten Rookie of the Year in 2016, a two-time finalist for the Wooden Award and last year won the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award for the nation’s top center. He was a Consensus All-American Second-Team and was twice recognized for All-Defensive honors in his Conference. Twice, Happ recorded the best Player Efficiency Rating (PER) in the Big Ten while also finishing Top 5 in the NCAA for Box Plus-Minus.

You could very well be right.  Yet another benefit of being coached by Crean as opposed to Archie I guess.

I think TJD could make a great NBA career as a slightly more skilled version of Taj Gibson, but I don't know if he has the motor for that.

He definitely has NBA athleticism, and I'd be curious to see what he'd do in a fast paced offense where he could get out and run more.

If he had a consistent shot, he'd probably be a first round pick. He hasn't improved his shooting here in 2 years, so what benefit is there to stay? Might as well go pro and be able to put in a lot more work on it with a lot more resources available. 

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I think TJD could make a great NBA career as a slightly more skilled version of Taj Gibson, but I don't know if he has the motor for that.

He definitely has NBA athleticism, and I'd be curious to see what he'd do in a fast paced offense where he could get out and run more.

If he had a consistent shot, he'd probably be a first round pick. He hasn't improved his shooting here in 2 years, so what benefit is there to stay? Might as well go pro and be able to put in a lot more work on it with a lot more resources available. 

I agree with you here.  IMHO, he's a nice complimentary player but needs another gear, if he wants to make/retain a position on a NBA roster.  And making a roster is really the key for a player like TJD.  He's not likely ever going to really play big minutes without an improved motor.

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Vonleh was a better shooter, had a better handle, was bigger, and was a better comfortably better rebounder.

I saw you mention in another post that TJDs scoring got a lot better this year, but that is strictly because he has an astronomical usage. His efficiency went down. Looking strictly at conference play, Noah beat him in TS%, TRB% (enough of a difference to go from good to elite), nearly doubled him in BLK%. 

The only edge you can give TJD anywhere in their two games is he is a better passer and doesn't turn it over as much, but honestly, that's not exactly a strength for TJD. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Vonleh was a better shooter, had a better handle, was bigger, and was a better comfortably better rebounder.

I saw you mention in another post that TJDs scoring got a lot better this year, but that is strictly because he has an astronomical usage. His efficiency went down. Looking strictly at conference play, Noah beat him in TS%, TRB% (enough of a difference to go from good to elite), nearly doubled him in BLK%. 

The only edge you can give TJD anywhere in their two games is he is a better passer and doesn't turn it over as much, but honestly, that's not exactly a strength for TJD. 

Agree. It's not just random that one was a lottery pick and one is projected as a late 2nd round pick to undrafted. 

Vonleh had a much more rounded game. It's not just that he could make 3's, but he could shoot from mid-range as well, could take people off the dribble from the top of the key, etc. He's also more athletic, has an inch or two on TJD and is stronger. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

The thing I haven't reconciled yet is whether Brunk is coming back because TJD is coming back (they're good friends and play pretty well together...and they could have a special year) or because TJD is not coming back and Joey knows we need the depth...

Maybe Joey just wants one more year independent of anything else. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Archived