TJD Status Next Year

Purpose16

On 3/1/2021 at 9:30 PM, Cutter said:

This is true but when a kid needs motivation then that is the coaching staffs job some kids need it maybe some don’t need as much

if you need to motivate a player with NBA aspirations to improve their game..... that falls on the player. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

TJD action in the huddle tells us everything we need to know. If Archie’s here he’s gone. Only chance an I believe small chance is a new oath.

I'm not saying TJD is staying, sounds like he always had a 2 year plan, but you can't read too much into that one interaction. Those things happen, and they especially happen during periods of frustration.

Who knows what TJD will do but I expect if he gets a promise to be a 2nd round pick and get a 2-way deal, he'll go play in the G-League. I expect a G-League team have him work on his jumper and take them in games.  He would do just fine in the G-League.  I have been watching the Mav guys in the G-League and Tyler Bey seems comparable to TJD.  Their games are a bit different because I think TJD is a bit bigger but Bey has 7'1" wingspan. Bey isn't a great shooter but will knock them down. Bey is actually tearing it up. 

If TJD has no promises then I think he stays.  I don't know how he progressing towards a degree but having 2 years of course work has to factor in his decision if he is not getting drafted.  I expect he for sure declares to go get NBA input on what he should do. 

Sorry if this has been discussed, but there were obviously many reasons to recruit TJD, but ... he and Morgan have been Archie’s best players the last four years.   

Looking at Archie’s success at Dayton, it was never because of big man.  

I wonder, if TJD moves on (the team will be less talented), if the offense may be better because it’s more natural to Archie?    Complete speculation/observation, but I’m just trying to compare success at Dayton to lack of success at IU.   

Also - I assume more shooting will be coming in this off-season. 

2 minutes ago, Bustout said:

This has been said every off-season since Archie got hired and it hasn't happened. Guys that have been recruited to be "shooters" all of a sudden can't hit shots once they get to campus. So I don't think that'll happen. Hope is not a strategy to get better and that's all that is. 

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

This has been said every off-season since Archie got hired and it hasn't happened. Guys that have been recruited to be "shooters" all of a sudden can't hit shots once they get to campus. So I don't think that'll happen. Hope is not a strategy to get better and that's all that is. 

Kenya got hired.  Brought in Stewart.  TBD 

I would think one more.   Also - I think Lander starts at PG next year and Rob plays SG ... Rob played better the other night like that.   

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Other than Leal (freshmen) and Stewart (a transfer who hasn't played yet), I'm not sure he's really recruited any guys that are supposed to be shooters? I guess Fitzner. 

Otherwise, there really hasn't been shooter recruited. Franklin and Durham have developed into reliable shooters. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Other than Leal (freshmen) and Stewart (a transfer who hasn't played yet), I'm not sure he's really recruited any guys that are supposed to be shooters? I guess Fitzner. 

Otherwise, there really hasn't been shooter recruited. Franklin and Durham have developed into reliable shooters. 

Yeah.  Was going to add ... Leal can shoot ... but because he can’t play for the 1985 Bears, he doesn’t see the floor. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

You wouldn't consider Jerome Hunter or Damezi Anderson shooters coming out of high school?

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That's good to hear but it probably won't be getting better anytime soon.

Thanks, and you're probably right...But that's ok...

I can't be anything but me...those that don't like what I say or how I say it...well, there's an ignore button for a reason...

I will say this...I don't think Trayce's F bomb was directed at Archie...I think it was directed at either Jerome (most likely since he seems to be more vocal nowadays) or Al after he didn't block out Bingham on the offensive rebound/dunk play...And I say that noticing where they were standing in the huddle and who talked Jerome off the ledge (Al) after his tiff with CAM, and who calmed Trayce down (Armaan/Joey)...I just don't think TJD would say that to his coach, and I don't think Archie would stand for it...

If Archie DID let Trayce say that to him in a huddle without showing him the locker room, then he's not the leader I thought he was...A public rebuke like that from either side is not acceptable...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Thanks, and you're probably right...But that's ok...

I can't be anything but me...those that don't like what I say or how I say it...well, there's an ignore button for a reason...

I will say this...I don't think Trayce's F bomb was directed at Archie...I think it was directed at either Jerome (most likely since he seems to be more vocal nowadays) or Al after he didn't block out Bingham on the offensive rebound/dunk play...And I say that noticing where they were standing in the huddle and who talked Jerome off the ledge (Al) after his tiff with CAM, and who calmed Trayce down (Armaan/Joey)...I just don't think TJD would say that to his coach, and I don't think Archie would stand for it...

If Archie DID let Trayce say that to him in a huddle without showing him the locker room, then he's not the leader I thought he was...A public rebuke like that from either side is not acceptable...

I have no idea who he said it to but it seems like in the last few weeks we ad this happened a few times.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, Fiveoutofsix said:

TJD has the athletic ability, attitude and future ability that NBA scouts will like.  The kid is a staff stuffer when every scouting report says to sag off perimeter and focus on him.  

Does he need a jump shot - without doubt!  If I was a coach, I would of ran plays for him to shoot free throw line extended or above during one of the early games against the give me a win game.  Or, when being blown out.  Its all about confidence with him.  You can tell he is second guessing it with how long he takes.  

Wonder if the staff he's stuffing has any impact on team chemistry? :coffee:

Since it was brought up to some degree earliear i am going to mention it here.  I wonder will the whole process around NIL drive players to stay in college longer and get there degree?  Granted, the amount of money is likely exponentially higher once they make the pros, in particular first round.  But if you are a player like TJD and your stock could be iffy, coming back another year and getting a chance to earn a lot of cash as the best player on the IU Basketball team is worth something.  It will be very interesting to see what kind of income potential all players will have but in particular someone in Trace's position.  Sure he can make 35k in the G league and potentially get some solid coaching.  But if he could stay at IU and say double that and hopefully improve his game would that not make sense to some degree?

Also interested to see what some of these top players could make off of NIL.  Interesting times.

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You wouldn't consider Jerome Hunter or Damezi Anderson shooters coming out of high school?

Not really. IMO, JBJ is a shooter. Hulls is a shooter. Roth is a shooter. Zeisloft a shooter. Maybe Rob Johnson, though he seemed to regress as his career went on. 

I'd consider Hunter and Anderson scorers. Maybe you could argue Anderson as a shooter, but I never viewed him as a pure shooter. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Not really. IMO, JBJ is a shooter. Hulls is a shooter. Roth is a shooter. Zeisloft a shooter. Maybe Rob Johnson, though he seemed to regress as his career went on. 

I'd consider Hunter and Anderson scorers. Maybe you could argue Anderson as a shooter, but I never viewed him as a pure shooter. 

I didn't see any of Jerome or Damezi's high school games, just Youtube highlights, but in those, the impetus was on the outside shot...

I can see your point though...Jerome does have a bit of an inside game (that I wish he would use more) but Damezi never saw an outside shot he didn't like...

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't see any of Jerome or Damezi's high school games, just Youtube highlights, but in those, the impetus was on the outside shot...

I can see your point though...Jerome does have a bit of an inside game (that I wish he would use more) but Damezi never saw an outside shot he didn't like...

I just don't see Jerome Hunter as a shooter. It might be semantics, but I think there's a difference. 

JBJ was a shooter who could score really well too. Hulls was a shooter. Oladipo is a scorer who can shoot. 

I don't view Hunter as a shooter, I view him as a scorer who can shoot. You're not recruiting him as a shooter. When he commits you're not thinking you have your 3pt sniper for the next 3-4 years. 

For example, when JBJ committed the commentary was that IU got one of the best shooters in the class, same with Robert Johnson.

When Zeisloft came, the commentary was that his role would be a shooter that can spread the floor. 

Anderson probably had some of that commentary, but not Hunter. He's a scorer that has worked on extending his range. 

Again, it might be semantics but I think there are differences. 

3 hours ago, Bustout said:

Sorry if this has been discussed, but there were obviously many reasons to recruit TJD, but ... he and Morgan have been Archie’s best players the last four years.   

Looking at Archie’s success at Dayton, it was never because of big man.  

I wonder, if TJD moves on (the team will be less talented), if the offense may be better because it’s more natural to Archie?    Complete speculation/observation, but I’m just trying to compare success at Dayton to lack of success at IU.   

Could be.  Probably helps to spread out scoring and not so focused on one player

On 3/1/2021 at 8:37 PM, IUfaninIllinois said:

You are spot on... in 95% of Anti Cam/coaching staff haters on here they constantly blame the coaching staff instead of blaming the coaching staff AND the player... Michael Jordan didn’t become Who he was because the staff at UNC changed him from a guy who got cut from his high school team to a guy who became the greatest player in history. Chef Bobby Flay didn’t become a popular TV chef and An Iron Chef because his mentor developed him into that. It always takes two to tango. Everyone on this team is responsible for their own actions.

As a labeled CAM hater, my thoughts are: Clearly the player is responsible for working hard, regular practicing and being coachable.  Failures of the team are jointly due to CAM and players.  I come down hard on Archie because of his huge paycheck, guaranteed pay, and because he recruited these guys for his system.   IMO, its fair to place most of the failure on his shoulders.  His IU seasons show repetitive problems.  

6 hours ago, John S said:

As a labeled CAM hater, my thoughts are: Clearly the player is responsible for working hard, regular practicing and being coachable.  Failures of the team are jointly due to CAM and players.  I come down hard on Archie because of his huge paycheck, guaranteed pay, and because he recruited these guys for his system.   IMO, its fair to place most of the failure on his shoulders.  His IU seasons show repetitive problems.  

I understand where you’re coming from but when players are missing wide open layups or wide open shots to me that’s on the player and if they make those things at a higher rate Archie may not look as bad.

Archived