You’re AD. Are you accepting an invite to the NIT?

AxnJxn

Just now, AxnJxn said:

A bit premature, but seems headed this way. I can’t imagine TJD would play in the NIT, but we have a freshman class that needs to get some time on the court together. Would you accept the invite, or just get this nightmare over? 

Personally I’d get the nightmare over, but we will probably accept in case enough NCAA teams get COVID and we get bumped in. Highly unlikely,  but that’s the plan in place. 

I rallied around the team two years ago in the NIT and went to two of the games. The only way I could get into it this year would be with an interim coach. 

Hey, at least with the NCAA tournament being played in Assembly Hall and the NIT being played in a bubble, we wouldn’t have call Fred to come up with some lame excuse for turning down an NIT home game. 

8 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

A bit premature, but seems headed this way. I can’t imagine TJD would play in the NIT, but we have a freshman class that needs to get some time on the court together. Would you accept the invite, or just get this nightmare over? 

I was thinking the same thing re the freshmen and overall youth of the team...they would grown from it.  I would endorse accepting the bid.

My hope is a fresh start(again) for next year, so I don't think an extra game or two for the freshman would factor into what needs to happen to rebuild this program.  Although I like the players and wish them well, I think a house cleaning with a heavy focus on the transfer market that gives the new coach the kitchen and the ability to shop for the ingredients is in order.  

6 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I’m pretty certain that you can’t turn down an invite to the NIT. Maybe this year is different, but I was under that impression. 

If true, that's new - we turned one down a few years ago with FCTC.

36 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Personally I’d get the nightmare over, but we will probably accept in case enough NCAA teams get COVID and we get bumped in. Highly unlikely,  but that’s the plan in place. 

I rallied around the team two years ago in the NIT and went to two of the games. The only way I could get into it this year would be with an interim coach. 

Hey, at least with the NCAA tournament being played in Assembly Hall and the NIT being played in a bubble, we wouldn’t have call Fred to come up with some lame excuse for turning down an NIT home game. 

Interesting point there, because I'm not sure you accept an invite if you've decided to change coaches. 

Just now, Hippopotamo said:

We turned down a home game, but we still played in the NIT that year. 

Ah, that's right, my bad. But, teams have turned down invites in the past, just not sure if that rule has changed?

https://basketball.fandom.com/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament#:~:text=In succeeding years%2C other teams,not make the NCAA tournament.

In succeeding years, other teams such as Oklahoma State, Louisville, Georgia Tech, and Georgetown have declined to play in the NIT when they did not make the NCAA tournament. One such team was Maryland; after being rejected by the NCAA selection committee in 2006, head coach Gary Williams announced that 19-11 Maryland would not go to the NIT, only to be told that the university had previously agreed to use Comcast Center as a venue for the NIT

11 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

If true, that's new - we turned one down a few years ago with FCTC.

Interesting point there, because I'm not sure you accept an invite if you've decided to change coaches. 

I can’t remember who, but it seems like a couple of years ago when we were in the NIT there was a team playing with an interim coach. It’s 100% possible I’m misremembering that though. 

Just now, 5fouls said:

Are we even sure there is going to be an NIT.  I just assumed in the Covid world, they would cancel it again.  

Yah, checked that before I posted. From what I found, it's still on as of this point. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense though, TBH.

1. I doubt there will be an NIT. You checked and it's still on but with the NCAA all taking place in a single state I doubt the NIT happens.

2. Would they take a team that is under 0.500 overall? Someone said in another thread that the 0.500 eligibility was suspended for this season (I've looked and haven't seen that stated anywhere other than what that poster said). IU will probably finish at least 1 game under 0.500 so even if that eligibility requirement is suspended and the NIT does happen, I'm have my doubts they'd take IU just because selecting a team under 0.500 wouldn't look good.

3. In the event that the NIT does happen and they take under 0.500 IU, I think IU accepts.

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

1. I doubt there will be an NIT. You checked and it's still on but with the NCAA all taking place in a single state I doubt the NIT happens.

2. Would they take a team that is under 0.500 overall? Someone said in another thread that the 0.500 eligibility was suspended for this season (I've looked and haven't seen that stated anywhere other than what that poster said). IU will probably finish at least 1 game under 0.500 so even if that eligibility requirement is suspended and the NIT does happen, I'm have my doubts they'd take IU just because selecting a team under 0.500 wouldn't look good.

3. In the event that the NIT does happen and they take under 0.500 IU, I think IU accepts.

I am pretty sure they said the NIT will all be played in New York

Archived