What Would You ask Archie?

IU basketball media throws softball question after softball question at Archie. If you had five minutes with Archie, what would you ask him?

I'll start:

-TJD (2), Race (4), Hunter (3), Franklin (2), Durham (4) and Phinisee (3) have an average of three years in the program. Why can't we play defense?

-Based on IU's struggles in the Big Ten your first 3 years, did you consider trying anything different this year?

-Do you have a player development program?

-Why does Trey Galloway get so many minutes and Anthony Leal get almost none?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

There’s a reason why they don’t ask the tough questions.  It’s because he picks who he wants to be in there.  

Really?  That’s a bad sign.  Being afraid of reasonable questions indicates weakness and lack of confidence or conviction in your philosophies and strategies.  

For example, if someone asked why he substituted a kid out after he hit two threes, he should be able to answer that confidently and not hide in the other room.

31 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Really?  That’s a bad sign.  Being afraid of reasonable questions indicates weakness and lack of confidence or conviction in your philosophies and strategies.  

For example, if someone asked why he substituted a kid out after he hit two threes, he should be able to answer that confidently and not hide in the other room.

I’m not 100% sure on this but some of it happened after the “load management” question a few years back.

"Hi Archie, thanks for meeting with us today.  You're a real sport.  Too bad about those pictures next to Juwan Howard that made you look so tiny.  But they were so funny!  Some day you'll look back and laugh. 

Where was I going with this?  Oh, yeah.  My question.  Last year, you inferred Indiana would be better without Justin Smith, who transferred to Arkansas.  You remember Justin?  The kid who played 30 minutes a game and worked his tail off to graduate in 3 years? 

This season, Justin is having a blast playing on the #20 team in the country.  Which, by the way, is where a lot of people expected you to be in year four.  

Anyway, Justin a joy to watch.  He's super happy.  He's shooting 51% for the season.  In today's game, he had 19 points, 10 rebounds, and was featured by Sports Illustrated for a devastating windmill dunk.

My question is:  do you think he'll be able to get you a ticket to the NCAA tournament so you can watch in person?"

1 minute ago, Madison22 said:

"Hi Archie, thanks for meeting with us today.  You're a real sport.  Too bad about those pictures next to Juwan Howard that made you look so tiny.  But they were so funny!  Some day you'll look back and laugh. 

Where was I going with this?  Oh, yeah.  My question.  Last year, you inferred Indiana would be better without Justin Smith, who transferred to Arkansas.  You remember Justin?  The kid who played 30 minutes a game and worked his tail off to graduate in 3 years? 

This season, Justin is having a blast playing on the #20 team in the country.  Which, by the way, is where a lot of people expected you to be in year four.  

Anyway, Justin a joy to watch.  He's super happy.  He's shooting 51% for the season.  In today's game, he had 19 points, 10 rebounds, and was featured by Sports Illustrated for a devastating windmill dunk.

My question is:  do you think he'll be able to get you a ticket to the NCAA tournament so you can watch in person?"

Ooof! Double ooof!

I would simply ask him to explain his coaching philosophy.  Why he stuck with schemes and players that were not working well.  Why he substituted when we seemingly had momentum in a gain.  Things like that.

He obviously believed in the decisions he was making.  I don't fault someone for that.  But, at the same time, I don't understand it.  Having him explain it to me may give me a greater appreciation of where he was coming from.  Because right now, I just don't get it.

I would ask why it has been such a challenge to instill his culture into the program, why his personality does not come through in his teams on the floor in 4 years? Why has it been such a challenge to get consistent effort and intensity in 4 years. 

In one of the articles that has been written over the last few days the reporter shared quotes from when Archie was first hired where he said that one of his first goals was the instill a culture where other teams hated playing IU, where other teams know they're in a dogfight every single time they play IU regardless of the IU's record, etc. 

So, why Archie has that been so incredibly difficult to get to come to fruition?

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would ask why it has been such a challenge to instill his culture into the program, why his personality does not come through in his teams on the floor in 4 years? 

I think it has, they quite often look like they would rather be anywhere else too...

I am not saying that is the case, just that he looks like he would rather be somewhere else.  Look, I doubt this is where Miller saw himself right now when he took the job.  The only question I would have would be, in his mind, what does he think went wrong.

Outside of that though, I feel for the guy.  His coaching rep is in tatters.  He never got to enjoy any piece of how cool it could be to be the coach at this school.  Mike Davis got a nice run to the Finals.  Sampson had a Top 10 team that was rolling for awhile.  Crean had several BIG champions and the Cody years.  Miller has had losing seasons, fans that were not bought in, a personality that made him look like he did not want to be here, and then a once in multiple generations virus that chased all the fans out of the building and maybe kept him from the one game that may have saved his job after this year.

But after all that...what went wrong Archie?  How did you get here?  We can tell what happened during the games, but what happened behind closed doors.

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would ask why it has been such a challenge to instill his culture into the program, why his personality does not come through in his teams on the floor in 4 years? Why has it been such a challenge to get consistent effort and intensity in 4 years. 

In one of the articles that has been written over the last few days the reporter shared quotes from when Archie was first hired where he said that one of his first goals was the instill a culture where other teams hated playing IU, where other teams know they're in a dogfight every single time they play IU regardless of the IU's record, etc. 

So, why Archie has that been so incredibly difficult to get to come to fruition?

Good one...from the perspective that it’s a question that I could see a reporter with balls actually asking. 

You said xxxx. Do you think this is the case now? If not, why?

Archived