Thank you, Aljami

KoB2011

Figured with it being Senior Day, Al deserved a thread. 

I don't think his four years were what any of us wanted, but I can honestly say I've enjoyed getting to watch Al Durham the past four years. He played hard and with great emotion on a team that often lacked it. He may be a flawed player, but the kid got better. He went from a guy who was a poor shooter coming in to a guy who has turned into a very reliable shooter as an upper class men. 

It's not his fault for the teams he played on or the roles he had to attempt to fill; I wish every kid we recruiter was the type of kid Al appears to be. 

Thanks for all you did, Al. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take the fact that he participated yesterday as an indicator that he has not committed to taking advantage of the extra year.  Does not mean he hasn't, but if he knew he was, he would have likely skipped yesterday's ceremony.  And, how sucky is it for him that he does not even get to celebrate the day with the fans.  Does anyone know if his family was able to be there for it?

You have to feel for him.  When he committed, I'm sure he was pretty confident he would someday get to play in the NCAA tournament.  First, he loses the coach that recruited him, and then each year the team underachieves.  The young man deserved better.

Seems like a kid that always has a smile on his face. Appreciate his efforts very much during this time in IU history trying to navigate coaches, people, new and old teammates, teammates leaving, etc....

Add to that he managed to become a 1000 point scorer in the process. Will always be cheering for him.

I have to disagree - Al is exactly who we wanted.  The kid has the heart of a lion!  He improved each year, did whatever was asked.  Wasn't scared to have the ball in his hands when the game was on the line.  Scored 1000 points, played solid defense.  

Most of all he approached every interview with enthusiasm and great character.

Al will be missed, he is a kid to root for, he is what you want out of an IU alumni and a basketball player.

He's not a perfect player but he's my favorite player of the Miller era. He plays hard and with passion. His shooting has improved quite a bit during his career. He would've made a really good guard off the bench if we'd had the talent for that. 

I applaud him for sticking with IU through everything.

I nicknamed him Frozone.

I appreciate Al and his family. He worked hard and represented the program well. 

Most agree he has done more than expected when he came to IU. Wish they could have done more and let him play more off the ball and to his strengths. 

Good luck to him as he closes out his college career and whatever the next chapter of his life is.

Thank you Al, shame your senior season was without fans cheering you on, you’ve made yourself better every year and hit plenty of baskets, plenty of errant passes I’d love to have back 😂just kidding!  Enjoyed watching you - go out and finish strong !!!!

On a good IU team Al would’ve been somewhat like a Joe Hillman type player for us older fans.  He was/is under-appreciated because he needed to do more than he’s capable of.  Kid worked hard, went to class, represented IU in a good way and for that we should all be thankful.  I’m a very hard critic of a lot of players (right or wrong) but I appreciate them as long as they are good people.  Al seems to be better than good at being a person. 

44 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just found this post and raises a question. If this year didn't count, doesn't what you're stating conflict with the grad transfer rule?

So I can't find it in writing anywhere and I'm starting to question where that info started.  I believe there is a poster that is friends with a small D1 school basketball coach down south???  @IU Scott has repeated this stance before, can you help us out?  I can't find it officially stated that seniors have to stay with their current team to use the extra year of eligibility.  I did find this, "Of course, not all schools are allowing seniors to return. One caveat to the NCAA’s ruling on an extra year of eligibility is that individual schools and conferences have the authority to adopt this rule or not. This means that some schools may allow seniors to return for an extra year of eligibility, while others may choose not to offer this due to program budgets, housing availability, etc"  https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

One other thing to look at, are any football players that have used 4 years of eligibility transferring and playing a 5th somewhere else?  @Leathernecks @btownqb Can't say that I have heard of that happening.  

Archived