Thank you, Aljami

KoB2011

I think that Al's career is impressive in a similar way to how Verdell Jones had an impressive career. Both were hard working, forced to play out of position and a bit earlier than they were ready for, both expanded their games and got better each year, and both received unfair treatment from the fan base. Al didn't have the benefit of a team being built up around him like Verdell did, but he is really undersold in the ways that he improved. He was a non factor in the BIG his first two years and by the time he was a junior he was featured in other teams scouting reports. Matt Painter mentioned last year after the game in Bloomington that their focus with their scouting report was on making sure that Al didn't get going. He got better with both hands, better as a shooter, better coming off screens, better in transition, and better getting to the rim and through traffic. All the while being a really great representative of the University.

Our fanbase enjoyed tremendous coaching and basketball IQ for nearly 30 years. We saw a lot of great basketball, and Al would have been a great rotation player (maybe 8th man or so) in a lot of those years. Unfortunately, while watching all that good basketball we also learned to treat the players as badly as our coach did. Blaming a kid like Al for not being a lead guard that can take over a game is obtuse at best. He maximized his gifting. We owe him thanks...instead, his last time wearing an IU uniform he was hearing boos as he walked off the court. I know it wasn't him that was being jeered, but I still found it embarrassing that the fans couldn't show enough wisdom to know that booing Archie does damage to a group of kids who seem like really good people. 

I'm 40 years old, as competitive as they come, hate losing and hate watching us lose. I would have done anything to have had the chance to wear an IU uniform. Early in High School when I knew I wasn't good enough to play in college I connected with Coach Knight to tell him I was going to come to IU and be a student manager for him. I waited to talk to the IU team after they played at OSU (I'm from Columbus), OSU won a bunch of those games, and it pissed me off a bunch. But at the time, I always felt a pride that IU fans understood the game so much better than OSU fans. Honestly, OSU fans hardly know what they are watching when they are at the game. They know when the ball goes in and when it doesn't, and that's about it. 

In the early Crean years I was proud of the way that fans supported that rag tag group. Now, we boo our team while they still have a chance to win. We were down 7 for several minutes in the game against Rutgers and missed six important free throws and three or four layups in that stretch. Booing in that moment didn't help us hit the next shot, and there's no way a player like Phinisee or Al or Race or Trayce who all were playing during that stretch and missed crucial open shots would have interpreted those boos as being about their coach. 

I think Al deserved better than that and I think we as a fanbase just about deserve what we get at this point.

Well done Al.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cP5Odgh.png
Indiana Hoosiers Scholarship Grid

2023 - 2024 (-1)

2024 - 2025 (-1/-3)

2025 - 2026 (-4)

2026 - 2027 (-8)

2027 - 2028 (-11)

Xavier JohnsonREdShrit2.pngPlus.png Boogie Fland Boogie Fland Boogie Fland Boogie Fland
Anthony WalkerPlus.png Liam McNeeley Liam McNeeley Liam McNeeley Liam McNeeley
Trey Galloway Trey GallowayGWPlus.png Open Open Open
Anthony Leal Anthony LealGWPlus.png Open Open Open
Payton Sparks Payton Sparks Open Open Open
Kaleb Banks Kaleb Banks Kaleb Banks Open Open
CJ Gunn CJ Gunn CJ Gunn Open Open
Malik Reneau Malik Reneau Malik Reneau Open Open
Kel'el Ware Kel'el Ware Kel'el Ware Open Open
Gabe Cupps Gabe Cupps Gabe Cupps Gabe Cupps Open
Mackenzie Mgbako Mackenzie Mgbako Mackenzie Mgbako Mackenzie Mgbako Open
Jakai Newton Jakai Newton Jakai Newton Jakai Newton Open
Open Open Open Open Open
(Oversign) (Oversign/Open) (Oversign) (Oversign) (Oversign)
(Oversign) (Oversign/Open) (Oversign) (Oversign) (Oversign)
Jackson Creel
Shaan Burke
James Goodis
Jordan Rayford
REdShrit2.png
Ian Stephens
Jackson CreelPlusWhite.PNG
Shaan Burke
James Goodis
Jordan Rayford
REdShrit2.png
Ian Stephens
-
Shane BurkePlusWhite.PNG
James Goodis
Jordan Rayford
REdShrit2.png
Ian Stephens
-
-
James Goodis
Jordan Rayford
REdShrit2.png
Ian Stephens

Italics = walk-ons.

REdShrit2.png = post-redshirt (Name in black for redshirt year).
 PlusWhite.png = additional year granted due to pandemic.

cP5Odgh.png

Grid is made to reflect the additional year of availability granted due to COVID-19.  The indicates the scholarship availability if all players were to utilize the additional year.

Archived