2021 MLB Season

5fouls

I'm 55 years old and last season was the most disconnected I have been with baseball since I started playing Little League at age 7.  The bastardized season just had no appeal to me whatsoever.  Part of what has always made baseball special for me is the history.  And, it was just very difficult for my mind to build a historical framework around a 60 day season played solely against a select group of teams.

I honestly do not recall watching a complete game all season, and really did not even try until the World Series.  I didn't even really follow the Reds.  I know that Trevor Bauer won the Cy Young, but I'm not even sure I watched him pitch more than 2-3 innings.  

I'm rededicating myself to following baseball more closely this season.  I'm thinking of using this board to help me do that.  The rest of you need to be prepared for some serious baseball discussions for the next few months.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-breakout-candidates-one-player-from-all-30-teams-whos-ready-to-step-up-as-spring-training-games-start/

Not a lot of familiar names out there.  Mostly middle relievers, 4th outfielders, and guys looking for a second chance.  Probably the most intriguing name is Jameson Taillon of the Yankees coming off Tommy John surgery.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'm 55 years old and last season was the most disconnected I have been with baseball since I started playing Little League at age 7.  The bastardized season just had no appeal to me whatsoever.  Part of what has always made baseball special for me is the history.  And, it was just very difficult for my mind to build a historical framework around a 60 day season played solely against a select group of teams.

I honestly do not recall watching a complete game all season, and really did not even try until the World Series.  I didn't even really follow the Reds.  I know that Trevor Bauer won the Cy Young, but I'm not even sure I watched him pitch more than 2-3 innings.  

I'm rededicating myself to following baseball more closely this season.  I'm thinking of using this board to help me do that.  The rest of you need to be prepared for some serious baseball discussions for the next few months.   

I actually enjoyed last season because of the shortened season.  It made every game a little more important and I have always thought the baseball season is way to long.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually enjoyed last season because of the shortened season.  It made every game a little more important and I have always thought the baseball season is way to long.

Nothing wrong with that.  I'm just different,  Baseball, at it's best, is mostly relaxing, with periodic moments of tension.  And, the 162 game schedule makes it easier to overcome injuries and/or the occasional bad performance.  

Edited by 5fouls

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-breakout-candidates-one-player-from-all-30-teams-whos-ready-to-step-up-as-spring-training-games-start/

Not a lot of familiar names out there.  Mostly middle relievers, 4th outfielders, and guys looking for a second chance.  Probably the most intriguing name is Jameson Taillon of the Yankees coming off Tommy John surgery.

Nico Hoerner is pretty damn familiar to me.  LOL

On 2/28/2021 at 11:59 AM, 5fouls said:

Nothing wrong with that.  I'm just different,  Baseball, at it's best, is mostly relaxing, with periodic moments of tension.  And, the 162 game schedule makes it easier to overcome injuries and/or the occasional bad performance.  

I always thought they should go down to 150 games...80 within your division (20 games with each division rival) and 7 against every other team in your league...

I've never been a fan of inter-league play, so I'd scrap it...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I always thought they should go down to 150 games...80 within your division (20 games with each division rival) and 7 against every other team in your league...

I've never been a fan of inter-league play, so I'd scrap it...

Well, as long as they have 15 teams in each league, they will have to have inter-league play.  If they expanded by two teams, got to 16 team leagues, 4 divisions in each league, you could have something like this without having interleague play.

22 games against teams in your division = 66

12 games against 4 teams in one another division = 48

6 games against 8 teams in other 2 divisions = 48

That's 162 with no interleague play.  And, you could rotate the divisions so that you play 12 games against each of the other divisions every 3 years.  If you wanted to do less than 162, you could drop the 12 game division down to 10 games for 40 played in that group and play 154.  

I'm not a fan of having teams play an odd number of games against each other.  In your example, playing 7 against non-division opponents would result in 4 at home and 3 on the road, or vice-versa.

Some crazy rules in Spring Training this season.  For the first week or so, the managers can decide in advance whether to play a 5 inning or 7 inning game.  After that, I think the decision is a 7 inning or 9 inning game.

Even crazier is that the manager can call the inning after his pitcher throws 20 pitches.  Yesterday, apparently that Angels had bases loaded and two outs and the Giants manager elected to call the inning.  Watching part of the Braves / Blue Jays game today, and the rule was used 3 or 4 times.  

Watching the Angels game today.  Jose Iglesias is their new shortstop.  Hit .373 last year for the Orioles.  And, not only that, the Angels announcers say he has the highest career fielding percentage of any active MLB shortstop.  Yet, after a solid 2019 year, the Reds decided to keep Galvis over him.  And, after letting Galvis go, the Reds need a SS this year.  Just shaking my head.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Some crazy rules in Spring Training this season.  For the first week or so, the managers can decide in advance whether to play a 5 inning or 7 inning game.  After that, I think the decision is a 7 inning or 9 inning game.

Even crazier is that the manager can call the inning after his pitcher throws 20 pitches.  Yesterday, apparently that Angels had bases loaded and two outs and the Giants manager elected to call the inning.  Watching part of the Braves / Blue Jays game today, and the rule was used 3 or 4 times.  

It's getting like T-Ball

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Well, as long as they have 15 teams in each league, they will have to have inter-league play.  If they expanded by two teams, got to 16 team leagues, 4 divisions in each league, you could have something like this without having interleague play.

That's 162 with no interleague play.  And, you could rotate the divisions so that you play 12 games against each of the other divisions every 3 years.  If you wanted to do less than 162, you could drop the 12 game division down to 10 games for 40 played in that group and play 154.  

I'm not a fan of having teams play an odd number of games against each other.  In your example, playing 7 against non-division opponents would result in 4 at home and 3 on the road, or vice-versa.

Paring anything would take an act of God with the owners...no way they're going to short change themselves on revenue...

It'd be like asking the legislative branch to pass term limits...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Watching the Angels game today.  Jose Iglesias is their new shortstop.  Hit .373 last year for the Orioles.  And, not only that, the Angels announcers say he has the highest career fielding percentage of any active MLB shortstop.  Yet, after a solid 2019 year, the Reds decided to keep Galvis over him.  And, after letting Galvis go, the Reds need a SS this year.  Just shaking my head.  

Meh...we got Farmer! <sigh>

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/why-2028-could-be-the-year-that-reshapes-expands-and-completely-alters-major-league-baseball/

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

What's the story there? Assuming money? Or just bad talent evaluation?

I've got enough headaches with my Cubs but I look at some of the Reds moves (more so because of this thread) and I just shake my head with what are they doing?

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

What's the story there? Assuming money? Or just bad talent evaluation?

I've got enough headaches with my Cubs but I look at some of the Reds moves (more so because of this thread) and I just shake my head with what are they doing?

I truly don't know.  Every Reds fan I know was stunned that they did not make an attempt to keep him.  They have a goof prospect in Garcia who is still la year or so away.   The only thing I can figure is that in signing Castellanos and Moustakis last winter, they must have felt they needed to save money.  The only other thing I can think of is that maybe there was bad blood between Iglesias and Castellanos from their days on the Tigers.  But, man, giving up on a solid MLB level shortstop to create a black hole when you are supposedly trying to compete makes no sense.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

• KDB pinned this topic
  • BGleas unpinned this topic