2021 MLB Season

5fouls

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I forgot, you aren't use to WS titles....lol

I did win $20 bucks on the WS...A guy I worked with in Indy had never mentioned the Yankees until the WS rolled around, then he acted like he was one of Steinbrenner's kids...So I bet him a 10 spot that the Reds would win...After the Yanks got down 3-0, he came to me and said, "Double or nothing they don't sweep the Yankees!"

Heh-heh-heh...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I did win $20 bucks on the WS...A guy I worked with in Indy had never mentioned the Yankees until the WS rolled around, then he acted like he was one of Steinbrenner's kids...So I bet him a 10 spot that the Reds would win...After the Yanks got down 3-0, he came to me and said, "Double or nothing they don't sweep the Yankees!"

Heh-heh-heh...

There is plenty of room on the "Red Wagon" if you want to jump on.  Any and all former Cub players and fans are welcome.  Cast went yard again last night.  Nick is en fuego.

1 minute ago, rico said:

There is plenty of room on the "Red Wagon" if you want to jump on.  Any and all former Cub players and fans are welcome.  Cast went yard again last night.  Nick is en fuego.

No, thanks...I lived for years as a Cub fan amongst a sea of Red fans (Martinsville was big time Reds territory)...I don't despise the Reds but it's hard to leave 50 some years of anguish and heartbreak with one bright spot...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

No, thanks...I lived for years as a Cub fan amongst a sea of Red fans (Martinsville was big time Reds territory)...I don't despise the Reds but it's hard to leave 50 some years of anguish and heartbreak with one bright spot...

It is ok.  I know your admiration of Peanuts Lowrey runs deep.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Still room on the Reds' bandwagon for ya...

Oh I'll cheer for them for a few reasons. My Grandfather was a Reds guy....and we saw many Cubs/Reds games in the upper deck at Riverfront when I was growing up. I also have an appreciation for the greatness of their organization (similar to A's) and hope they do someday for the fans who have stuck with them. 

Always hope they do well. Just not at our expense.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

And inside the Ricketts family counting room...

Cash Count GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Guy I grew up with has ties to a company doing some of the overhauls of Wrigley and surrounding neighborhood. The cost overruns were/are so bad....he said the entire city has their handout. All trickles down from there to our payroll.

• Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Guy I grew up with has ties to a company doing some of the overhauls of Wrigley and surrounding neighborhood. The cost overruns were/are so bad....he said the entire city has their handout. All trickles down from there to our payroll.

Chicago is a cesspool with that sort of thing. I can't imagine all the handouts/bribes etc that it takes to do a major construction project in Chicago (Cook County). I have a friend who lives there and told me things as well.

Having said that...I don't feel bad for the Ricketts and still don't excuse them for not putting together a more formidable product on the field (I think you agree with me on that @Seeking6).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Chicago is a cesspool with that sort of thing. I can't imagine all the handouts/bribes etc that it takes to do a major construction project in Chicago (Cook County). I have a friend who lives there and told me things as well.

Having said that...I don't feel bad for the Ricketts and still don't excuse them for not putting together a more formidable product on the field (I think you agree with me on that @Seeking6).

Irate is how I would describe my feeling regarding the Ricketts. They aren't in McCaskey territory yet but inching their way with every move.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Irate is how I would describe my feeling regarding the Ricketts. They aren't in McCaskey territory yet but inching their way with every move.

McCaskeys are one of the worst owners in all of sports in my opinion. George Halas has to be rolling over in his grave over how this franchise has been run.

I'm just super disappointed in Ricketts because he seemed like he would be a fairly good owner in the beginning and once he won the world series, he just seems to be about the $$ now. This is one of the only baseball seasons I have gone into with zero enthusiasm and I'm basically indifferent. It sucks, but there are more important things than baseball. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

McCaskeys are one of the worst owners in all of sports in my opinion. George Halas has to be rolling over in his grave over how this franchise has been run.

I'm just super disappointed in Ricketts because he seemed like he would be a fairly good owner in the beginning and once he won the world series, he just seems to be about the $$ now. This is one of the only baseball seasons I have gone into with zero enthusiasm and I'm basically indifferent. It sucks, but there are more important things than baseball. 

As a youth in the 70's I went to Wrigley many of times.  It was packed and the Cubs sucked.  If the Reds suck, nobody attends the game.  Point being...the Cubs don't have to put a good product on the field to make money.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rico said:

As a youth in the 70's I went to Wrigley many of times.  It was packed and the Cubs sucked.  If the Reds suck, nobody attends the game.  Point being...the Cubs don't have to put a good product on the field to make money.

Yep...I grew up watching them in the 80s and 90s...when the Tribune Company owned them. Except for a few bright spots like 84 and 89...there were lots of sucky teams. 87 was fun with Dawson hitting 49 homers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This is one of the only baseball seasons I have gone into with zero enthusiasm and I'm basically indifferent. It sucks, but there are more important things than baseball. 

I've decided to take this year off as far as baseball is concerned...

Sports use to bring people together...Now it drives them apart...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I've decided to take this year off as far as baseball is concerned...

Sports use to bring people together...Now it drives them apart...

I won't take it off but I know several who are as well and understand.

3 childhood friends and I always pick 4-5 games a year and head to Wrigley for some fun. I'll be surprised if we all get together this year. Not just because of Covid but 1 won't support the Cubs because of off season....and the other isn't touching baseball at because of some of the other stuff. 

Baseball is losing fans quickly....they better figure out a way to bring people back into the stadiums....not leaving.

• Like 2