2021 MLB Season

5fouls

32 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yep...I grew up watching them in the 80s and 90s...when the Tribune Company owned them. Except for a few bright spots like 84 and 89...there were lots of sucky teams. 87 was fun with Dawson hitting 49 homers.

I've been a Cub fan since 1963 (the year after the failed "College of Coaches" experiment) simply because my favorite aunt had bought me a Cubs' jersey on one of her trips there. Funny how your fandom is developed...

69 was THE year, up until mid-August...I know you all know the story...It wasn't like nowadays where you could get the scores on the internet or watching TV...I got up early for school just to hear Joe Garagiola give scores and recaps on "Today" on NBC...I can still remember that depressing feeling in late August through early September where Garagiola would say, "Well, the Cubs lost again, and the Mets won again." Like a long, slow death for an 11 year old...

84 taught me never to trust, and to hate Steve Garvey for eternity...

You know, even the last out in 2016 when I saw Bryant's foot slip a little on the throw to Rizzo, my heart skipped a beat...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've been a Cub fan since 1963 (the year after the failed "College of Coaches" experiment) simply because my favorite aunt had bought me a Cubs' jersey on one of her trips there. Funny how your fandom is developed...

69 was THE year, up until mid-August...I know you all know the story...It wasn't like nowadays where you could get the scores on the internet or watching TV...I got up early for school just to hear Joe Garagiola give scores and recaps on "Today" on NBC...I can still remember that depressing feeling in late August through early September where Garagiola would say, "Well, the Cubs lost again, and the Mets won again." Like a long, slow death for an 11 year old...

84 taught me never to trust, and to hate Steve Garvey for eternity...

You know, even the last out in 2016 when I saw Bryant's foot slip a little on the throw to Rizzo, my heart skipped a beat...

My dad worked as writer/editor for Newspaper. He used to write some from home when I was little (like 4/5/6). He would write and type out his articles while the Cubs game was on WGN most days...I would watch/listen and was hooked. When I was a little older I started collecting baseball cards and following scores and player stats in newspaper everyday (in 80s).

I remember the collapse in 84...Leon Durham, Steve Garvey etc.

Yes, I had that "oh no not again!" moment during 2016 when I thought Bryant was going to slip on last out and then I was sure he would throw it over Rizzo's head.

I was a fan of the Cubs before IU or the Bears....they came about a few years later when I was in elementary school and started watching the games more attentively (my dad was a fan of both and attended IU).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

My dad worked as writer/editor for Newspaper. He used to write some from home when I was little (like 4/5/6). He would write and type out his articles while the Cubs game was on WGN most days...I would watch/listen and was hooked. When I was a little older I started collecting baseball cards and following scores and player stats in newspaper everyday (in 80s).

I remember the collapse in 84...Leon Durham, Steve Garvey etc.

Yes, I had that "oh no not again!" moment during 2016 when I thought Bryant was going to slip on last out and then I was sure he would throw it over Rizzo's head.

I was a fan of the Cubs before IU or the Bears....they came about a few years later when I was in elementary school and started watching the games more attentively (my dad was a fan of both and attended IU).

That's awesome...

63 was pretty much the starting point for all of my fandom...went to my 1st IU game (vs Illinois in the "new" fieldhouse) and the Bears won the NFL championship, so I jumped on that bandwagon 😀

• Like 2

Reds win their 5thnin a row with a 11-4 victory.  It was 11-0 going into the ninth but Garrett gave up a grand slam. If they had kept the 11-0 lead that they would have been first team since 1890 to win 3 of their first 6 games by 11 runs.  In the first 6 games this is the tums scored by the Reds.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds win their 5thnin a row with a 11-4 victory.  It was 11-0 going into the ninth but Garrett gave up a grand slam. If they had kept the 11-0 lead that they would have been first team since 1890 to win 3 of their first 6 games by 11 runs.  In the first 6 games this is the tums scored by the Reds.

Bet they don't score a single run tomorrow.  :coffee:

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

2 more hits for the Cubs today! Somewhere Chilli Davis is probably saying to himself I told all of you this back in 2018. The players approach to hitting sucks.

When is the fire sale scheduled for?  May 1st?  LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

When is the fire sale scheduled for?  May 1st?  LOL

That's the worst part that most on here have said before. They've played so inconsistent and at times hit so poorly....if we did make trades right now we'd be getting 50 cents on the dollar max for what some of these guys want for contracts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the worst part that most on here have said before. They've played so inconsistent and at times hit so poorly....if we did make trades right now we'd be getting 50 cents on the dollar max for what some of these guys want for contracts.

It is still early...got to wait until Memorial Day to get a good picture.  Hopefully they start playing like it is a contract year.  But not at my Reds' expense though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Reds started the year ranked 20th in the ESPN Power Rankings.  After starting the season 5-1, and putting up some unbelievable offensive numbers, the Reds have moved up to .............19th!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31208667/mlb-power-rankings-week-1-biggest-risers-fallers-first-week-season

Small market bias. Hahaha.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The Reds started the year ranked 20th in the ESPN Power Rankings.  After starting the season 5-1, and putting up some unbelievable offensive numbers, the Reds have moved up to .............19th!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31208667/mlb-power-rankings-week-1-biggest-risers-fallers-first-week-season

Theyre used to playing in front of extremely small crowds so this feels normal for them 🤣

just kidding!

Edited by Stlboiler23