2021 MLB Season

5fouls

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What the hell was David Bell thinking.  Up 3-0 going to the top of the 9th and brings in Garrett.  He has been horrible this year and can't throw stones.  He walked 2 and then gave up a 3 run homer to tie the game.

I suspect he was trying to get him on track by bringing him into an 'easy' save situation.  obviously didn't work.  But, I think if it had been 1-0, or there were men on base, he would have went to Sims or Doolittle instead.

Reds are in trouble if the bullpen continues to suck.  Mahle has to be steaming.  

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I suspect he was trying to get him on track by bringing him into an 'easy' save situation.  obviously didn't work.  But, I think if it had been 1-0, or there were men on base, he would have went to Sims or Doolittle instead.

Reds are in trouble if the bullpen continues to suck.  Mahle has to be steaming.  

You need to get Garrett  back on track in a non save situation

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Reds are in trouble because the bullpen DOES suck and that's not going to change.  Garrett wanted the closer role, but he has never been that guy.  Doesn't have the overpowering out pitch and tends to miss out over the plate.  JMHO...sorry!

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You need to get Garrett  back on track in a non save situation

Not much difference if the score was 3-0 or 4-0.  Bell had to be thinking 1 was possible and 2 was worst case scenario,  The only thing that kills you there is the HR.  If VanMeter would have singled or doubled instead of going yard, Garrett comes out before the score is tied.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not much difference if the score was 3-0 or 4-0.  Bell had to be thinking 1 was possible and 2 was worst case scenario,  The only thing that kills you there is the HR.  If VanMeter would have singled or doubled instead of going yard, Garrett comes out before the score is tied.  

Besides Antone and Doolittle the rest of the hill pen is a train wreck.  Two games on a row the bullpen blows a late lead unless the offense does something in the bottom of the 10th.  Also you bring in Garrett on the 6th inning and not the 9th.

Edited by IU Scott

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Besides Antone and Doolittle the rest of the hill pen is a train wreck.  Two games on a row the bullpen blows a late lead unless the offense does something in the bottom of the 10th.  Also you bring in Garrett on the 6th inning and not the 9th.

Fulmer's E.R.A. is under 1.00.  And, I'm not holding Tuesday night against Sims.  Cy Young couldn't have pitched well in that weather.  His E.R.A. for the season is 3.00.  Maybe a little higher than you want from a short reliever, but not bad.

Long season for sure but this Yankees start is puzzling to say the least. Gleyber Torres seems to be catching the brunt of things. Read an article this morning suggesting he get shipped down to AAA to work on things.

I think I'll chalk it up to being 4/22 but 6-11 should never be the start for that team. 

In other news the A's are pulling their annual late July/August run of winning 20 straight in April. Up to 11 in  a row after 1-7 start.

• Like 2

Not a good start for the Reds bullpen today.  Down 2-1 in the 6th Fulmer walk the first batter and then a home run.  I don't understand the Reds struggling so much with Arizona.  Arizona will he 5-1 against the Reds but 4-9 against the rest of the league.

Edited by IU Scott

Reds down 14-9 in the bottom of the 10th so this games is pretty much over and we will be swepted. In the 3 games against Arizona the bullpen was horrible and here are the stats from the bullpen.

13 2/3 IP.

20 runs given up.

16 walks.

12 hits.

Last two games both went to extra innings and given up 11 runs in the 10th inning combined

Edited by IU Scott

Reds lose 14-11 after scoring 3 runs and leaving two on in the 10th.  When you score 11 runs and hit 6 HR's and lose there is a major problem.  The bullpen is horrible but the starters rarely go past 5-6 innings do we ate using the bullpen to much.

The GM did a terrible job in building the pitching staff this off season. They did not bring many quality bullpen guys or starters this off season. You lose two starters in Baurer and Disco and only brought in Hoffman from outside the orginization. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nico Hoerner getting called up because of injury to Joc Pederson. Service time starts up. Will be interesting to see if they send him back down once other is healthy to accrue those 36 games Cubs need.

Well if he can hit .225 he'll up the team BA a lot!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nico Hoerner getting called up because of injury to Joc Pederson. Service time starts up. Will be interesting to see if they send him back down once other is healthy to accrue those 36 games Cubs need.

I guess I don't understand service time because I thought Hoerner has ready played on the majors.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I don't understand service time because I thought Hoerner has ready played on the majors.

Basically this. The club is trying to have that extra year of his initial deal before arbitration and new deal (higher $) be reached. By having him down in minors for extra 36 games this year means Cubs (or any team that does this) gets control for an extra year. They did it with Bryant and it was somewhat a joke....but it's also something that labor (players) agreed on in last contract. 

1.021 days

Hoerner has 1.021 days of MLB service time, so the Cubs would need to keep him in the minors for 36 days to avoid him reaching two full years of service in 2021. Hoerner is presently controllable through 2025, so the demotion could keep him in Chicago until after the 2026 season.

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Basically this. The club is trying to have that extra year of his initial deal before arbitration and new deal (higher $) be reached. By having him down in minors for extra 36 games this year means Cubs (or any team that does this) gets control for an extra year. They did it with Bryant and it was somewhat a joke....but it's also something that labor (players) agreed on in last contract. 

1.021 days

Hoerner has 1.021 days of MLB service time, so the Cubs would need to keep him in the minors for 36 days to avoid him reaching two full years of service in 2021. Hoerner is presently controllable through 2025, so the demotion could keep him in Chicago until after the 2026 season.

Now explain "options" to me again?  

1 hour ago, rico said:

Now explain "options" to me again?  

I use this site for most of that....and even after that I don't understand. All of this roster manipulation/service time/options/contracts....is just creating more division in between players and owners....and fans and teams.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/minor-league-options

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I use this site for most of that....and even after that I don't understand. All of this roster manipulation/service time/options/contracts....is just creating more division in between players and owners....and fans and teams.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/minor-league-options

Seems like just when I understand it, I forget it.  LOL

• Like 1