2021 MLB Season

5fouls

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Does that mean Sal Romano isn't better than Clayton either?  Blandino got the job done on the mound though.  

Blandino's career ERA is 0.00, that wasn't the first game he had pitched in.

As far as Romano, man we have to have someone better than him.  Geez.

Roberto Alomar has been placed on the permanently ineligible list.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31366185/roberto-alomar-placed-mlb-ineligible-list-2014-sexual-misconduct-allegation

Here is a list of all of those that made it to the list at some point (including Willie Mays), though many have been reinstated (including Mays).

https://everything2.com/title/Major+League+Baseball%27s+%22permanently+ineligible%22+list

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Roberto Alomar has been placed on the permanently ineligible list.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31366185/roberto-alomar-placed-mlb-ineligible-list-2014-sexual-misconduct-allegation

Here is a list of all of those that made it to the list at some point (including Willie Mays), though many have been reinstated (including Mays).

https://everything2.com/title/Major+League+Baseball%27s+%22permanently+ineligible%22+list

I noticed this one in there...

Benny Kauff - New York Giants outfielder that was arrested with his brother in December 1919 for auto theft. Both were acquitted in a trial but it was Commissioner Landis' opinion that Kauff was "no longer a fit companion for other ballplayers" and expelled him from the game.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds best the Cubs 8-6 despite the Reds bullpen trying to blow the game.  Up 8-2 after 6 but the bullpen gave up 4 runs and left the bases loaded in the 9th.  Also the umps tried to help the Cubs by calling balls on obvious 3rd strikes twice in the 9th.

Donwill® on Twitter: "I just found out that the Chicago Cubs fly an L flag  when they lose and I'm both saddened and hurt that this has not become a  general meme.

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:41 PM, 5fouls said:

5fouls Fearless MLB Picks for 2021

AL EAST

1. Yankees
  2. Rays
  3. Blue Jays
  4. Red Sox
  5. Orioles

AL CENTRAL

1. Twins
  2. White Sox
  3. Indians
  4. Royals
  5. Tigers

AL WEST

1. A's
  2. Angels
  3. Astros
  4. Mariners
  5. Rangers

NLEAST

1. Braves
  2. Nationals
  3. Mets
  4. Marlins
  5. Phillies

NL CENTRAL

1. Brewers
  2. Cubs
  3. Reds
  4. Cardinals
  5. Pirates

NL WEST

1. Dodgers
  2. Padres
  3. Diamondbacks
  4. Giants
  5. Rockies

After one month of the season, let's see how the great prognosticator is doing.

AL East - Yankees first?  What a stupid pick.  Rays, Jays, and Orioles?  Pretty close on those.  It appears I underestimated the Red Sox.

AL Central - So far, I have the Royals and Twins flipped.  Sox and Indians doing about what I thought.  I can pat myself on the back for the Tigers.  But, then again, a blind squirrel in a coma could have predicted that one.

AL West - The A's scared me at the beginning of the season, but they are making me look smart now.  The Angels, Astros, and Mariners.  Throw a blanket over them, though I must admit to being surprised at the Mariners.  Rangers?  Like the Tigers, really hard to take too much credit for that.

NL East - What a train wreck of a division.  No one over .500 as of today.  And, of course, the one team at .500 is the team I picked to finish last.  I still believe in the Braves.  The Nationals?  don't see them finishing second.  The Mets are the Mets and hard to believe in.  The Marlins always seem to play better as the season goes along.  I still think they will get out of last place.

NL Central - The Brewers?  Yeah, I'm smart.  I have to admit, the Cardinals in 4th prediction was based more on my hatred for them than common sense was telling me.  The Reds are about what I expected.  The Pirates are better than I expected.  The Cubs are a major disappointment.

NL West - Who saw the Giants in first place after a month of the season?  It's fools gold. They will drop to 3rd or 4th before it is over.  I still think this division has the most potential to play out as I predicted over the course of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sounds like a cry for computers to call balls and strikes to me...

Not a fan of that idea at all.  Might as well get cyborgs to pitch and hit as well.  

A more appropriate course of action would be to have a clear grading system that weeds out the worst performers every year.  The umpire's union is too strong.  Have something like the PGA tour.  The golf pros have to earn and keep their card on an annual basis.  Over time, the quality improves as the hacks are slowly removed from the pool.  Angel Hernandez?  We hardly knew ya gent.  

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not a fan of that idea at all.  Might as well get cyborgs to pitch and hit as well.  

A more appropriate course of action would be to have a clear grading system that weeds out the worst performers every year.  The umpire's union is too strong.  Have something like the PGA tour.  The golf pros have to earn and keep their card on an annual basis.  Over time, the quality improves as the hacks are slowly removed from the pool.  Angel Hernandez?  We hardly knew ya gent.  

Come on man...huge difference between cyborgs playing and using technology to get it right...

To be honest, of all the technological advances we employ to mediate sports fairly, an electronic strike zone actually makes the most sense. Replay in basketball, baseball, and football all have their flaws. An electronic strike zone is pretty black and white. 

And they do currently grade umpires. Doesn't seem to be having the desired affect.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

AL East - Yankees first?  What a stupid pick.  Rays, Jays, and Orioles?  Pretty close on those.  It appears I underestimated the Red Sox.

AL Central - So far, I have the Royals and Twins flipped.  Sox and Indians doing about what I thought.  I can pat myself on the back for the Tigers.  But, then again, a blind squirrel in a coma could have predicted that one.

AL West - The A's scared me at the beginning of the season, but they are making me look smart now.  The Angels, Astros, and Mariners.  Throw a blanket over them, though I must admit to being surprised at the Mariners.  Rangers?  Like the Tigers, really hard to take too much credit for that.

NL East - What a train wreck of a division.  No one over .500 as of today.  And, of course, the one team at .500 is the team I picked to finish last.  I still believe in the Braves.  The Nationals?  don't see them finishing second.  The Mets are the Mets and hard to believe in.  The Marlins always seem to play better as the season goes along.  I still think they will get out of last place.

NL Central - The Brewers?  Yeah, I'm smart.  I have to admit, the Cardinals in 4th prediction was based more on my hatred for them than common sense was telling me.  The Reds are about what I expected.  The Pirates are better than I expected.  The Cubs are a major disappointment.

NL West - Who saw the Giants in first place after a month of the season?  It's fools gold. They will drop to 3rd or 4th before it is over.  I still think this division has the most potential to play out as I predicted over the course of the year.

Great write-up young man.  Looking forward to more updates on your prognostications.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Come on man...huge difference between cyborgs playing and using technology to get it right...

To be honest, of all the technological advances we employ to mediate sports fairly, an electronic strike zone actually makes the most sense. Replay in basketball, baseball, and football all have their flaws. An electronic strike zone is pretty black and white. 

And they do currently grade umpires. Doesn't seem to be having the desired affect.

Never wanted electronics or technology to  enter the game but I made the switch a few years ago. Hardest thing in sports to do is hit a 90+mph slider. Let's not make it harder by an ump giving certain pitchers 8 inches on the corner because of their history.

59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If anyone finishes behind the Cubs (besides Pirates) this year they should immediately fire their staff and evaluate every player in the locker room. Cubs have 1.5 starting pitchers....Kimbrell is only reliever but his impact won't matter if down 5 each game....and the same core of guys who can't hit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never wanted electronics or technology to  enter the game but I made the switch a few years ago. Hardest thing in sports to do is hit a 90+mph slider. Let's not make it harder by an ump giving certain pitchers 8 inches on the corner because of their history.

Same here. Problem is, it still has its flaws as far as on the field calls go. Sometimes it's just too close. 

Let the computer call balls and strikes and have a Dell 800 number up in center field the players can ring if the want to bitch about a call.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Same here. Problem is, it still has its flaws as far as on the field calls go. Sometimes it's just too close. 

Let the computer call balls and strikes and have a Dell 800 number up in center field the players can ring if the want to bitch about a call.

Works for me. It's almost like Big 10 officiating in hoops. You have to find out who is calling the game and adjust your strategy.....which should never be the case in any sport.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

If anyone finishes behind the Cubs (besides Pirates) this year they should immediately fire their staff and evaluate every player in the locker room. Cubs have 1.5 starting pitchers....Kimbrell is only reliever but his impact won't matter if down 5 each game....and the same core of guys who can't hit. 

I know this sounds like a broken record...but the Cubs' fall from "grace" is a head scratcher to me.  

PS...just send Kimbrell Cincy's way.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rico said:

I know this sounds like a broken record...but the Cubs' fall from "grace" is a head scratcher to me.  

Not me...

The 2016 was a gift from a benevolent God to those if us who implored, "Just one time!"

Any second Cub World Series Championship would be a result of of lying soul sellers to the other guy...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, rico said:

Actually he and Bryant might be our most valuable trade assets. This fall has been in the works for 3 years. Same guys doing their thing because they know better. Cost Maddon his gig, Theo hit the road....and now these guys are looking around at each other saying how did this happen? Look in the mirror for several....and to this day I have no clue why Ian Happ is even on a major league roster. 

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Actually he and Bryant might be our most valuable trade assets. This fall has been in the works for 3 years. Same guys doing their thing because they know better. Cost Maddon his gig, Theo hit the road....and now these guys are looking around at each other saying how did this happen? Look in the mirror for several....and to this day I have no clue why Ian Happ is even on a major league roster. 

I would say Nico is your most valuable trade asset right now...