2021 MLB Season

5fouls

34 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Wade Miley no-hitter against the Indians.  3-0.  He reminds me of Tom Browning in the way he pitches.  Works quickly and throws mostly in high 80's to 90/91 mph....in and out...up and down.

That was some good stuff.  

I know it's still early but you would have to go back to 1968 and 1908 to see league wide averages this low in MLB. As a league baseball is averaging .233

Is it pitching? Batters focusing on exit velocity over putting in play? Probably a combination but when you get into all time lows....something is very wrong with MLB players in the box.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know it's still early but you would have to go back to 1968 and 1908 to see league wide averages this low in MLB. As a league baseball is averaging .233

Is it pitching? Batters focusing on exit velocity over putting in play? Probably a combination but when you get into all time lows....something is very wrong with MLB players in the box.

This will be the 4th year in a row and the only 4 years in the history of MLB that there have been more strikeouts than hits.

Boring baseball is walking to first, walking to the dugout, or trotting around the bases...

Something has to give...and I don't think Rob Manfred is the guy to do it...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I am gonna lay most of this "funk" on the hitters.  Exit velocity and taking too many freakin' pitches are the batter's main concerns these days.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Also Miley's no hitter was the 4th this season. The modern record is 7 (1990, 1991, 2012). We're over halfway there in 1/5th of the season.

They've even cheapened that accomplishment...

Isn't this the second time this year that the Tribe has been no-hit?  What is the record for one team in a season?

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This will be the 4th year in a row and the only 4 years in the history of MLB that there have been more strikeouts than hits.

Boring baseball is walking to first, walking to the dugout, or trotting around the bases...

Something has to give...and I don't think Rob Manfred is the guy to do it...

Well said on walking to first, dugout or trotting....because that is exactly what baseball is today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I am gonna lay most of this "funk" on the hitters.  Exit velocity and taking too many freakin' pitches are the batter's main concerns these days.  

Agree. Heard a guy say the .233 number this morning so it got me curious. We are in all time bad mode for hitting.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Suarez takes strike one down the middle of the plate almost every at bat.  Pitchers have noticed this and they have started just laying it in there, knowing he won't swing.  Then, when he inevitibly gets to 2 strikes, he's forced to swing at their pitch.  And, hence, he's on this ridiculous strikeout pace.

Stupid stat of the day

Trea Turner has churned out the fastest time running the bases this year with a sprint speed of 30.8 feet per second.  That converts to 21 mph.

By contrast, Yadier Molina has achieved a sprint speed of 22.7 feet per second.  That converts to 15.47 mph.

Here is a chart of random top speeds

• Indy Car - 231 mph
  • Cheetah - 70 mph
  • Ussain Bolt - 23.22 mph
  • Trea Turner - 21 mph
  • Hippopotamus - 17 mph
  • Yadier Molina - 15.47 mph

Here is a link to sprint speeds in MLB.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/sprint_speed

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

By contrast, Yadier Molina has achieved a sprint speed of 22.7 feet per second.  That converts to 15.47 mph.

In the immortal words of the late Tommy Lasorda...

"He'd finish 3rd in a race with a pregnant woman." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2