2021 MLB Season

5fouls

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31454952/how-k-became-most-destructive-letter-major-league-baseball

"It's unbelievable," Astros manager Dusty Baker said. "I've talked to Theo [Epstein, who is a consultant for Major League Baseball regarding on-field issues] about it. I've talked to other managers about it. I watched a game the other night, the first three innings, the ball wasn't put in play by either team. Everyone struck out. I've never seen that."

"It's embarrassing," said Reggie Jackson, who struck out more times than anyone in history.

"It's worrisome," said Nolan Ryan, who struck out more batters than any pitcher in history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31454952/how-k-became-most-destructive-letter-major-league-baseball

"It's unbelievable," Astros manager Dusty Baker said. "I've talked to Theo [Epstein, who is a consultant for Major League Baseball regarding on-field issues] about it. I've talked to other managers about it. I watched a game the other night, the first three innings, the ball wasn't put in play by either team. Everyone struck out. I've never seen that."

"It's embarrassing," said Reggie Jackson, who struck out more times than anyone in history.

"It's worrisome," said Nolan Ryan, who struck out more batters than any pitcher in history.

Funny, a lot of the games I watch even when the batter does put the ball in play the fielders have forgotten how to make a play on the ball.  The Reds defense is underwhelming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Great photo! One of these days I'm going to have dig out some photos. For my birthday in 84 my Mom/Dad got me on the field at Wrigley for Camera Day. Photos with every single player....Ryno, Cey, Moreland, Dernier....

I always think about that. I was 10 and my parents dropped me off at entrance (RF corner) and they went to their seats with my sister. I laugh because I can't imagine in today's world any parent just sending their 10 year old off by themselves onto the field and saying have at it kid. Haha.

It's a different world...I went to kindergarten when I was 4 (born in October, school started in August) and I walked the 5 blocks from our 1st Avenue house in Terre Haute to Woodrow Wilson Elementary school every day by myself...

They'd lock my Mom and Dad up for that today...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Did you get a pic with Marla Collins? 😍

Haha. Old Marla. Harry probably would be banned in today's world...especially in the later innings when he would get going.

Even at age 10...kids (boys) knew there was something different about Marla. The strangest thing I remember also about that day is I had my Sandberg, Dernier, and Matthews buttons on my jersey. Lost Sarge somehow. 

• Like 1

Another game and another bone head decision by the worst manager in baseball in David Bell. Going to the top of the 9th down 1-0 and had two pitchers warming up. Anyone their best pitcher and Carson Fulmer with a 4.60 era.  Instead of putting his best in to keep the game at 1-9 he put Fulmer in who gave up 3 runs to put the game away.  The Reds had Winker leading off the bottom of the 9th do you had to keep the game at 1-0.  The Reds got the first two on and if it was still 1-9 the game could have ended differently.

Also the Reds offense had to be the most inconsistent in baseball because they either score 10+ or score less than 3

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Another game and another bone head decision by the worst manager in baseball in David Bell. Going to the top of the 9th down 1-0 and had two pitchers warming up. Anyone their best pitcher and Carson Fulmer with a 4.60 era.  Instead of putting his best in to keep the game at 1-9 he put Fulmer in who gave up 3 runs to put the game away.  The Reds had Winker leading off the bottom of the 9th do you had to keep the game at 1-0.  The Reds got the first two on and if it was still 1-9 the game could have ended differently.

Also the Reds offense had to be the most inconsistent in baseball because they either score 10+ or score less than 3

The metrics told him to do it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Reds need to put on their rally caps.  Currently down 18-1.  But, I still believe!!!!

Now it is 18-2.  In my job to I am in my car driving most of the time so I like listening to the games.  The last few days have not been as enjoyable

• Like 1

So Tony LaRussa got a case of the RA for one of his hitter swinging at and hitting a HR when the Sox were up by 11 runs in the ninth on a 3-0 count and a non-pitcher throwing...

In the old days that would have gotten you one between the shoulder blades next time you were up, but a lot of the Sox players are backing the kid...

Any other count than 3-0 I'm with them, but I gotta say Tony's right on this one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So Tony LaRussa got a case of the RA for one of his hitter swinging at and hitting a HR when the Sox were up by 11 runs in the ninth on a 3-0 count and a non-pitcher throwing...

In the old days that would have gotten you one between the shoulder blades next time you were up, but a lot of the Sox players are backing the kid...

Any other count than 3-0 I'm with them, but I gotta say Tony's right on this one...

Didn't I hear the pitcher was a position player?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Didn't I hear the pitcher was a position player?

He was and I guess that changes things a bit....but I'm tired of even hearing about this stuff. White Sox fans/media seem hell bent on bringing up the smallest things this year. 

It's a nonissue being made into a big one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

He was and I guess that changes things a bit....but I'm tired of even hearing about this stuff. White Sox fans/media seem hell bent on bringing up the smallest things this year. 

It's a nonissue being made into a big one. 

Controversy sells...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Controversy sells...

They get 1 more starting pitcher....maybe even 2 and that's a deep playoff team unless they ruin it themselves. Reminds me of the 86-89 or so Bears. Everything in front of them...just decided to make small time stuff bigger issues.

Edited by Seeking6

It has gotten too much attention...

But as Carlton Fisk told Deion Sanders, there's a right way and a wrong way to play the game...as I said, any other count and I would have been ok with it, and I'm sure LaRussa would have been as well...

The Twinks did take a shot at Mercedes the next day...and rightfully so...

• Like 2