2021 MLB Season

5fouls

When Winker or Senzel for that matter make an AS squad then all bets are off.  I have had high hopes for both.  My feeling on Jesse has come to fruition...now if Nick can get on board.

With that being said I trade Suarez, Castillo, Gray, Barnhart, and Castellanos.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well after tossing a no-hitter last week, Corey Kluber is going on the disabled list and could be gone for at least 2 months!!

Sheeesh, can't these guys stay healthy????  🙄

Wade Miley had one start after his no hitter and went on the DL

• Like 1

Winker per CBS' Mark Axisa...

Going into Tuesday night's games, the major-league leader in slugging percentage (.684) and the National League leader in OPS (1.096) and OPS+ (183) was not Ronald Acuna Jr. or the resurgent Kris Bryant or some other household name. It was Reds outfielder Jesse Winker, who is quite possibly the second most well-known player in his own outfield behind Nick Castellanos.

"This has been an evolution of a guy that has always had a reputation that he can hit, and that's great," Reds manager David Bell told reporters, including MLB.com's Mark Sheldon, following Winker's three-home run game last Friday. "Once he has established himself as a major leaguer, in his mind, he has continued on in an effort to become great at this level. There's so much work and preparation that has gone on in the offseason when no one is looking, year round. He wants to be great."  

Winker hit three home runs Friday, another home run Saturday, and then another home run Sunday, giving him five homers in 14 plate appearances over the weekend and 13 homers in 174 plate appearances overall (with a deadened ball, remember). Last season Winker hit 12 homers in 183 plate appearances. In 2019, it was 16 homers in 384 plate appearances.

"He continuously repeats and sticks to his plan. If you make him look bad one at-bat, I am willing to bet a lot of money on the next at-bat, he won't do that again," Tyler Naquin told Sheldon about Winker, who Baseball America once called "the best hitter in every lineup he appeared until he played with Joey Votto."

Winker, now 27, has always possessed military-style plate discipline. He rarely expanded the zone and racked up big walk totals even as a young hitter trying to establishing himself in the league. That plate discipline still exists (Winker owns a career 11.9 percent walk rate), and now he's pairing the walks with power as he enters his prime.

Early on in his career, Winker always showed the innate ability to hit the ball hard, posting top end exit velocities on par with the game's premier power hitters. He was always held back by a propensity to hit the ball on the ground, however. Over the last two years though, Winker has matured as a hitter and is now getting the ball airborne more often.

winker-gb-slg.png
Jesse Winker's power has increased as his ground ball rate has decreased. FanGraphs

Winker is not much of an outfielder (he is Exhibit A in defense of the universal DH) but he is a fantastic hitter, truly one of the best in the league. This is his fifth MLB season and his career low is a 107 OPS+ in 2017, and only once has he finished a season with a sub-125 OPS+. For most of those five years, Winker didn't have much power. Now he's elevating and a dominant all-around hitter.

"I think we're just having fun playing baseball. I really think so," Winker told Sheldon. "To be honest with you, I'm not really paying attention to statistics. I just want to help the team win."  

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 11:29 AM, Billingsley99 said:

Should have traded Winker a couple years ago also

Would not have received nearly the value from Winker as you would get now.  In fact, Winker needs to be kept and replace Votto as the face of the franchise.  You have to keep someone that is a legit MLB player.    

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Would not have received nearly the value from Winker as you would get now.  In fact, Winker needs to be kept and replace Votto as the face of the franchise.  You have to keep someone that is a legit MLB player.    

I know. I was just playing off the dislike that Scott has had for Winker over the years. The Reds thing to do would have been to trade him and now he blowing up somewhere else. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rico said:

When Winker or Senzel for that matter make an AS squad then all bets are off.  I have had high hopes for both.  My feeling on Jesse has come to fruition...now if Nick can get on board.

With that being said I trade Suarez, Castillo, Gray, Barnhart, and Castellanos.

Trade Suarez and Castillo now and you get pennies on the dollar.  Need to hope they both turn it around and then shop them when they are 'right' again.  I honestly don't think you get equal value back on Barnhart either. 

Gray and Castellanos are solid trade chips if the front office knew how to get good value in return.  The Reds' front office has not demonstrated that skill in a long time.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Trade Suarez and Castillo now and you get pennies on the dollar.  Need to hope they both turn it around and then shop them when they are 'right' again.  I honestly don't think you get equal value back on Barnhart either. 

Gray and Castellanos are solid trade chips if the front office knew how to get good value in return.  The Reds' front office has not demonstrated that skill in a long time.  

Well the Refs are known to wait to late to trade their star players.  Just look at what they got for Chapman and Cueto.  The problem with the Refs is scouting and player development.

48 minutes ago, rico said:

One helluva bad defensive play...

Reminds me of the time I hit an inside the infield homerun in softball. Hit a dribbler down the third base line, on the overthrow from third I rounded and went for second. Realizing the 3rd baseman had jumped up and down yelling at himself for the overthrow and was now by the pitcher, I went for third. Shortstop was now running beside me, they tried to throw the ball to him and overthrew the moving target and I coasted into HOME!

I guess that would be scored two, two base throwing errors!

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds won a series vs the Nationals for the first time since 2016. They won 2 of 3 and won games started by Scherzer and Strausburg but loss the game started by Joe Ross

Bell is a genius!  Suarez to lead-off is paying dividends.

Nice to see Sonny pitch a gem.

• Like 1

Random stats of the day.  I took a random year from my childhood (1978) and decided to compare the pitching stats of then to now.  I compared to 2019, since 2020 was not a complete season.

20 game winners

• 1978 (8:  Guidry, Caldwell, Leonard, Palmer, Perry, Grimsley, Eckersley, Figueroa)
  • 2019 (2: Verlander, Cole)

Complete Game Leaders

• 1978 (Caldwell 23, Niekro 22, Leonard 20)
  • 2019 (Bieber 3, Giolito 3)

250+ innings pitched

• 1978 (22 pitchers, led by Phil Niekro at 334.1; Jim Palmer led non-knuckleballers at 296)
  • 2019 (0 pitchers; Justin Verlander led at 223)

15+ losses

• 1978 (16 pitchers, led by Rick Wise with 19)
  • 2019 (2 pitchers, led by Spencer Turnbull with 17)

20+ Saves

• 1978 (11 pitchers, led by Rollie Fingers with 37)
  • 2019 (22 pitchers, led by Kirby Yates with 41)

Qualifying E.R.A. below 3.00

• 1978 (21 pitchers, led by Ron Guidry at 1.74)
  • 2019 (9 pitchers, led by Hyun Jin Ryu at 2.32)

200+ Strikeouts

• 1978 (5 pitchers; JR Richard 303, Nolan Ryan, Ron Guidry, Phil Niekro, Tom Seaver)
  • 2019 (24 Pitchers; led by Gerrit Cole with 326)

100+ Walks

• 1978 (4 pitchers; Ryan - 148, Richard, Niekro, Gale)
  • 2019 (0 pitchers, led by Dakota Hudson with 86)

35+ Starts

• 1978 (23, led by Phiel Niekro with 42 and Dennis Leonard & Mike Flanagan with 40)
  • 2019 (0; 7 players led with 34)

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Random stats of the day.  I took a random year from my childhood (1978) and decided to compare the pitching stats of then to now.  I compared to 2019, since 2020 was not a complete season.

20 game winners

• 1978 (8:  Guidry, Caldwell, Leonard, Palmer, Perry, Grimsley, Eckersley, Figueroa)
  • 2019 (2: Verlander, Cole)

Complete Game Leaders

• 1978 (Caldwell 23, Niekro 22, Leonard 20)
  • 2019 (Bieber 3, Giolito 3)

250+ innings pitched

• 1978 (22 pitchers, led by Phil Niekro at 334.1; Jim Palmer led non-knuckleballers at 296)
  • 2019 (0 pitchers; Justin Verlander led at 223)

15+ losses

• 1978 (16 pitchers, led by Rick Wise with 19)
  • 2019 (2 pitchers, led by Spencer Turnbull with 17)

20+ Saves

• 1978 (11 pitchers, led by Rollie Fingers with 37)
  • 2019 (22 pitchers, led by Kirby Yates with 41)

Qualifying E.R.A. below 3.00

• 1978 (21 pitchers, led by Ron Guidry at 1.74)
  • 2019 (9 pitchers, led by Hyun Jin Ryu at 2.32)

200+ Strikeouts

• 1978 (5 pitchers; JR Richard 303, Nolan Ryan, Ron Guidry, Phil Niekro, Tom Seaver)
  • 2019 (24 Pitchers; led by Gerrit Cole with 326)

100+ Walks

• 1978 (4 pitchers; Ryan - 148, Richard, Niekro, Gale)
  • 2019 (0 pitchers, led by Dakota Hudson with 86)

35+ Starts

• 1978 (23, led by Phiel Niekro with 42 and Dennis Leonard & Mike Flanagan with 40)
  • 2019 (0; 7 players led with 34)

Good stuff here. I'd love to know if there was ever a stat that showed longest inning averages of relief pitchers who earned saves. What I'm getting at is I remember Bruce Sutter or Gossage coming into the game with 2 outs in the 7th and finishing things off almost daily. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Video speaks for itself.

Never seen anything like that before.  I always thought you can't get into a run down/pickle between 1st & home?  Any experts know the rule?  And Rizzo cracking up in the dugout was hilarious.