2021 MLB Season

5fouls

2 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Never seen anything like that before.  I always thought you can't get into a run down/pickle between 1st & home?  Any experts know the rule?  And Rizzo cracking up in the dugout was hilarious. 

My understanding is you are allowed to retreat as long as you are not leaving base path. Javy played it perfect and I don't know what Craig was thinking. He probably doesn't either.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My understanding is you are allowed to retreat as long as you are not leaving base path. Javy played it perfect and I don't know what Craig was thinking. He probably doesn't either.

I see, Thanks!  Not sure any of them knew what was going on.  Javey had time to even make the "safe" call for the ump and still made it to 2nd base. Unreal.  hahahaha

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Random stats of the day.  I took a random year from my childhood (1978) and decided to compare the pitching stats of then to now.  I compared to 2019, since 2020 was not a complete season.

20 game winners

• 1978 (8:  Guidry, Caldwell, Leonard, Palmer, Perry, Grimsley, Eckersley, Figueroa)
  • 2019 (2: Verlander, Cole)

Complete Game Leaders

• 1978 (Caldwell 23, Niekro 22, Leonard 20)
  • 2019 (Bieber 3, Giolito 3)

250+ innings pitched

• 1978 (22 pitchers, led by Phil Niekro at 334.1; Jim Palmer led non-knuckleballers at 296)
  • 2019 (0 pitchers; Justin Verlander led at 223)

15+ losses

• 1978 (16 pitchers, led by Rick Wise with 19)
  • 2019 (2 pitchers, led by Spencer Turnbull with 17)

20+ Saves

• 1978 (11 pitchers, led by Rollie Fingers with 37)
  • 2019 (22 pitchers, led by Kirby Yates with 41)

Qualifying E.R.A. below 3.00

• 1978 (21 pitchers, led by Ron Guidry at 1.74)
  • 2019 (9 pitchers, led by Hyun Jin Ryu at 2.32)

200+ Strikeouts

• 1978 (5 pitchers; JR Richard 303, Nolan Ryan, Ron Guidry, Phil Niekro, Tom Seaver)
  • 2019 (24 Pitchers; led by Gerrit Cole with 326)

100+ Walks

• 1978 (4 pitchers; Ryan - 148, Richard, Niekro, Gale)
  • 2019 (0 pitchers, led by Dakota Hudson with 86)

35+ Starts

• 1978 (23, led by Phiel Niekro with 42 and Dennis Leonard & Mike Flanagan with 40)
  • 2019 (0; 7 players led with 34)

In looking at the 1978 stats, Mike Caldwell of the Brewers was the name I remembered the least about.  So, I decided to look him up.  Turns out, he pitched 14 games out of the bullpen for the Reds in early 1977.  Typical Reds ineptitude with pitching, they did not realize what they had (See 2021 Giants rotation for reference).  Caldwell ended up winning over 100 games for the Brewers between the second half of '77 through '84.  

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All the 1st baseman had to do was step on the bag...inning over.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

In looking at the 1978 stats, Mike Caldwell of the Brewers was the name I remembered the least about.  So, I decided to look him up.  Turns out, he pitched 14 games out of the bullpen for the Reds in early 1977.  Typical Reds ineptitude with pitching, they did not realize what they had (See 2021 Giants rotation for reference).  Caldwell ended up winning over 100 games for the Brewers between the second half of '77 through '84.  

I knew that.  The Reds also had Ross Grimsley at one time as well.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Random stats of the day.  I took a random year from my childhood (1978) and decided to compare the pitching stats of then to now.  I compared to 2019, since 2020 was not a complete season.

20 game winners

• 1978 (8:  Guidry, Caldwell, Leonard, Palmer, Perry, Grimsley, Eckersley, Figueroa)
  • 2019 (2: Verlander, Cole)

Complete Game Leaders

• 1978 (Caldwell 23, Niekro 22, Leonard 20)
  • 2019 (Bieber 3, Giolito 3)

250+ innings pitched

• 1978 (22 pitchers, led by Phil Niekro at 334.1; Jim Palmer led non-knuckleballers at 296)
  • 2019 (0 pitchers; Justin Verlander led at 223)

15+ losses

• 1978 (16 pitchers, led by Rick Wise with 19)
  • 2019 (2 pitchers, led by Spencer Turnbull with 17)

20+ Saves

• 1978 (11 pitchers, led by Rollie Fingers with 37)
  • 2019 (22 pitchers, led by Kirby Yates with 41)

Qualifying E.R.A. below 3.00

• 1978 (21 pitchers, led by Ron Guidry at 1.74)
  • 2019 (9 pitchers, led by Hyun Jin Ryu at 2.32)

200+ Strikeouts

• 1978 (5 pitchers; JR Richard 303, Nolan Ryan, Ron Guidry, Phil Niekro, Tom Seaver)
  • 2019 (24 Pitchers; led by Gerrit Cole with 326)

100+ Walks

• 1978 (4 pitchers; Ryan - 148, Richard, Niekro, Gale)
  • 2019 (0 pitchers, led by Dakota Hudson with 86)

35+ Starts

• 1978 (23, led by Phiel Niekro with 42 and Dennis Leonard & Mike Flanagan with 40)
  • 2019 (0; 7 players led with 34)

The irony with this is at the same time you were checking out '78, I was looking at '79.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

32 minutes ago, rico said:

All the 1st baseman had to do was step on the bag...inning over.

Like Tim Kurkjian said, stupidest play I've seen in baseball after watching for over 50 years at any level...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

And I would agree.

Even if the first baseman would have stood there and watched Contreas score THEN ran dsown and put his foot on the bag, the run wouldn't have counted...

And what were the other Pirate infielders doing? Watching a John Wayne movie? You'd think one of them would have had the forethought to run over to first, wouldn't you?

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Even if the first baseman would have stood there and watched Contreas score THEN ran dsown and put his foot on the bag, the run wouldn't have counted...

And what were the other Pirate infielders doing? Watching a John Wayne movie? You'd think one of them would have had the forethought to run over to first, wouldn't you?

I think they prefer Clint Eastwood...

image.jpeg.1b456fc45531ca3b5f3683e294202f41.jpeg

• Haha 1

Guy I follow online does weather for Cubs games. 86 feet difference in where ball should have landed and did today. I think the Reds had 2-3 that would have definitely been gone. 

Glad Cubs got the win...but these 1 run games man. Our league leading 20th on the year.

I just noticed that if the playoffs started today, it'd be the Mets, Cubs, Cardinals, Padres, and Dodgers...

Boy, for Cubs fans if we could win with that crowd, talk about at the end of the year being able to go all Michael Corleone...

"All family business was settled today." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I just noticed that if the playoffs started today, it'd be the Mets, Cubs, Cardinals, Padres, and Dodgers...

Boy, for Cubs fans, talk about at the end of the year being able to go all Michael Corleone...

Good catch. You could add Giants/Will Clark from 89 or Marlins in 03...although the latter was self inflicted. We certainly could settle up a few things with those teams. Although we've handled the Cards/Dodgers in 15/16. We still owe them a few but getting closer to even.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Boy, for Cubs fans if we could win with that crowd, talk about at the end of the year being able to go all Michael Corleone...

Giants would get in as W/C over Cardinals or Cubs.  They go by overall record, not divisional finish.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Thinking about it, were actually square with the Giants...1989 got them even for the Merkle Boner...

Damn good thing Johnny Evers knew force out rules...

Part of my problem with Giants just isn't baseball. Probably leftover hate from some of the 49ers teams during the 80's. Couple of playoff losses basically made me hate the Bay. Haha.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Part of my problem with Giants just isn't baseball. Probably leftover hate from some of the 49ers teams during the 80's. Couple of playoff losses basically made me hate the Bay. Haha.

Funny you should say that... I was watching "A Football Life" of Jerry Rice just now and there were a couple of mentions of Rice being the "Greatest Football Player" ever...

I remember Bill Walsh saying that once when both he and Ditka worked the pregame show for NBC. Ditka came unglued. Something like, "I've never seen Jerry Rice make a tackle. We had 13 interceptions one year and Walter made the tackle on 12 of them. Can Jerry Rice block? Can he punt? Can he throw? Walter Payton could!" 

I'll say Rice is the best receiver ever, but football player? I'll take Sweetness...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2