2021 MLB Season

5fouls

Reds win 10-2 vs the Brewers and now have won 11 out of 14.  In that time span the starting pitchers leaf the league in ERA. The last few games the bullpen had started to pitch a little better.  The Reds offense leads the league in runs and batting average.  They have scored in double figures in 3 out of 4 games.  They are only 3 out in the loss column but they are on a 9 game road trip. Milwaukee, SD and Minnesota

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds win 10-2 vs the Brewers and now have won 11 out of 14.  In that time span the starting pitchers leaf the league in ERA. The last few games the bullpen had started to pitch a little better.  The Reds offense leads the league in runs and batting average.  They have scored in double figures in 3 out of 4 games.  They are only 3 out in the loss column but they are on a 9 game road trip. Milwaukee, SD and Minnesota

Vladimir Gutierrez has been the real deal since arriving.  Votto appears to be somewhat his old self.  Things are going well.

WTF is "Spider Tack?"

Per the New York Times via the redszone.com:

According to a June 13 NYT article MLB since April has been collecting game balls and testing them for foreign substances. They have found substances on 50%+ of the balls. The most popular being Spider Tack, a ultra sick glue like substance. Spider Tack and similar substances may be responsible for:
"After the sport dealt with illegal steroids and illicit sign-stealing, now comes foreign substances on baseballs, a skyrocketing trend that is believed to have played a key role in turning the sport into a monotonous procession of strikeouts and low-scoring games."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/12/s...ider-tack.html

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Bryant hit on wrist/hand. Leaves game. Hopefully just precautionary or of course it could be out indefinitely. 

May be my imagination, but it seems that HBPs are up this year.  I know the reds have been hit a ton.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

May be my imagination, but it seems that HBPs are up this year.  I know the reds have been hit a ton.  

It's been discussed quite a bit for sure. Is it the players crowding the plate or is it whatever stuff the pitchers are using that has pitches getting away everyone once in awhile?

I like Rizzo trust me...but that guy would be drilled every single time when I spent time on the mound. 

Refs and Brewers is a pitching fuel 0-0 in the top of the 8th.  Both teams only has only two hits and the time of the game right now is 1 he and 50 minutes.

The Brewers starter Anderson in 10 starts had only pitched 39.2 innings with a 4.99 era. Tonight he pitched 7 innings and he gave up 1 hit

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds beats the Brewers 2-1!in 10 innings.  Refs score 2 runs in the 10th without a hit.  They had the ghost runner, HBP, walk, HBP and sac fly.  

And with that Cincy goes for the sweep this afternoon.  Mahle faces Peralta.

per Lance McAlister:

Luis Castillo last 3 starts:
18.2 IN
7 H
4 R
7 BB
19 K
1.93 ERA

Reds bullpen last 5 games:
15.1 IN
3 R
5 H
5 BB
27 K

Edited by rico
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just heard the dumbest thing on Sportscaster.  Tyler Glasnow the pitcher with the Rays is now blaming his elbow injury because of having to give up using substances to help his grip on the ball.

I was watching that game. Looks like he will be out awhile. Wonder how the Rays will fare without him? It will be interesting to see which pitchers stay the same and which ones tail off a bit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/15/mlb-unveils-plan-to-enforce-rules-on-cheating-with-sticky-balls.html

Edited by Reacher

Not liking the Cubbies chances tonight.  

Jason deGrom stat 

According to Baseball-Reference data, deGrom's ERA+ (100 is league average) currently sits at an unfathomable 686. No player since 1947 has finished a season with a higher mark than Trevor Bauer's 292 in 2020, and Pedro Martinez's 291 in 2000 is the highest for a 162-game season in that span.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Not liking the Cubbies chances tonight.  

Jason deGrom stat 

According to Baseball-Reference data, deGrom's ERA+ (100 is league average) currently sits at an unfathomable 686. No player since 1947 has finished a season with a higher mark than Trevor Bauer's 292 in 2020, and Pedro Martinez's 291 in 2000 is the highest for a 162-game season in that span.

The guy is unreal....problem is the Mets just don't score for him.

28 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yadi the goat wins it! If only we could play bad teams all the time lol. 

GOAT?????

According to WAR, Yadi's career WAR is 22nd among catchers.  Tied with the immortal Jason Kendall.  

The real GOAT, Johnny Bench, leads the way.  He is followed by Gary Carter, Ivan Rodriguez, Carlton Fisk, Yogi Berra, and Mike Piazza.

Yadi isn't even the active WAR leader among catchers.  That honor belongs to Buster Posey.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_C.shtml

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

GOAT?????

According to WAR, Yadi's career WAR is 22nd among catchers.  Tied with the immortal Jason Kendall.  

The real GOAT, Johnny Bench, leads the way.  He is followed by Gary Carter, Ivan Rodriguez, Carlton Fisk, Yogi Berra, and Mike Piazza.

Yadi isn't even the active WAR leader among catchers.  That honor belongs to Buster Posey.

Wasn’t serious about the goat comment lol. But he’s a shoe-in HOF’er. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

GOAT?????

And he's waaay behind Ted Simmons, who spent the vast majority of his career as a Cardinal...

When I saw Molina just above Darrell Porter, it brought back a great memory...

I had season tickets for the Cardinals in 1981 and 1982. In 82 I was at a game in I think it was early August (it was ungodly hot), and the Cardinals were playing the Pirates and in a hot NL East pennant race. Late in the game, Porter came up with the bases loaded and 2 out. Darryl had a drug/alcohol problem when he played for the Royals.

Anyway, he struck out, and the crowd was really on him. As he was heading back to the dugout, a fat guy wearing an "I Love Beer" t-shirt and a Budweiser in both hands, jumps up and yells, " Go back to Kansas City you alcoholic!" Porter looked up at him and then just hung his head.

I laughed so hard I almost puked...

Darrell got his revenge though...look up who the NLCS AND the World Series MVP was in 1982...

Edited by IUFLA

per Jamie Ramsey @Jamieblog

Joey Votto is 61 hits away from 2,000; he’s 5 RBI away from 1,000. Votto collected his 300th home run on April 30. According to EliasSports, Joey would be the first player to reach all 3 of those milestones in the same season since HOF’er Billy Williams did it in 1971.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1