2021 MLB Season

5fouls

There are 30 major league baseball teams.  At this point in the season, only 55 pitchers are on pace to throw enough innings to qualify for the E.R.A title.  That's less than 2 per team.  

By comparison, in 2002, there were 85 qualifying pitchers.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Thanks 1

I like seeing the Reds putting together a good streak and hope they can keep winning.  What is bad is that they have went 4-1 and had lost a half game in the standings.  There best chance to make the playoffs might be the wild card.  Right now they would be in first place in the NL East

Edited by IU Scott

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I like seeing the Refs putting together a good streak and hope they can keep winning.  What is bad is that they have went 4-1 and had lost a half game in the standings.  There best chance to make the playoffs might be the wild card.  Right now they would be in first place in the NL East

They just got to keep winning at about 67% clip.  The Brewers show no signs of letting up.  If Milwaukee plays .500 ball the rest of the year they win 91 games.  The Redlegs face an uphill battle for the division for sure.  Now the WC is a different story.  Sitting 4 GB right now and the Friars have a bunch of games remaining against the Giants/Dodgers.  

52 minutes ago, rico said:

They just got to keep winning at about 67% clip.  The Brewers show no signs of letting up.  If Milwaukee plays .500 ball the rest of the year they win 91 games.  The Redlegs face an uphill battle for the division for sure.  Now the WC is a different story.  Sitting 4 GB right now and the Friars have a bunch of games remaining against the Giants/Dodgers.  

And Tatis gunna miss some time. 

Keith Law breaks down the Cubs trades...so far from what I have read, I am good with what they received back, except for maybe the Bryant trade. I feel like the Giants would have paid more after all the moves the Dodgers made. Oh well, time will tell.

https://theathletic.com/2743328/2021/07/30/the-cubs-go-all-in-on-the-fire-sale-so-lets-take-a-look-at-the-return-keith-law/?source=user_shared_article

12 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Keith Law breaks down the Cubs trades...so far from what I have read, I am good with what they received back, except for maybe the Bryant trade. I feel like the Giants would have paid more after all the moves the Dodgers made. Oh well, time will tell.

https://theathletic.com/2743328/2021/07/30/the-cubs-go-all-in-on-the-fire-sale-so-lets-take-a-look-at-the-return-keith-law/?source=user_shared_article

I can't see the article?

But my take is they got what they could.  Time will tell how the acquisitions pan out.  I feel the Cubs, at present, have some very good corner stones in Nico and Wisdom.  They also got a savvy backstop in Contreras.  So the building blocks are there.  

That being said I am still amazed that the "old group" fell well short of expectations.  They so much reminded me of the Big Red Machine.  

2 hours ago, rico said:

I can't see the article?

But my take is they got what they could.  Time will tell how the acquisitions pan out.  I feel the Cubs, at present, have some very good corner stones in Nico and Wisdom.  They also got a savvy backstop in Contreras.  So the building blocks are there.  

That being said I am still amazed that the "old group" fell well short of expectations.  They so much reminded me of the Big Red Machine.  

I like Nico and Contreras. I always feel Hendricks is underappreciated because he doesn't have overwhelming "stuff"....but to me he is a poor mans Greg Maddux...just smart and finds ways to get it done. They also shed a ton of payroll and should be major players in the free agent market this offseason, assuming Rickets is willing to pay up.

As others have mentioned...the core Cub group is eerily similar to me as the 85 Bears...each could have won multiple championships but fell short. I won't complain too much though, at least I got to finally witness them winning it all.

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I like Nico and Contreras. I always feel Hendricks is underappreciated because he doesn't have overwhelming "stuff"....but to me he is a poor mans Greg Maddux...just smart and finds ways to get it done. They also shed a ton of payroll and should be major players in the free agent market this offseason, assuming Rickets is willing to pay up.

As others have mentioned...the core Cub group is eerily similar to me as the 85 Bears...each could have won multiple championships but fell short. I won't complain too much though, at least I got to finally witness them winning it all.

Yeah, you lovable losers got to experience a title.  But look on the bright side...the Pirates still suck.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:41 PM, 5fouls said:

5fouls Fearless MLB Picks for 2021

AL EAST

1. Yankees
  2. Rays
  3. Blue Jays
  4. Red Sox
  5. Orioles

AL CENTRAL

1. Twins
  2. White Sox
  3. Indians
  4. Royals
  5. Tigers

AL WEST

1. A's
  2. Angels
  3. Astros
  4. Mariners
  5. Rangers

NLEAST

1. Braves
  2. Nationals
  3. Mets
  4. Marlins
  5. Phillies

NL CENTRAL

1. Brewers
  2. Cubs
  3. Reds
  4. Cardinals
  5. Pirates

NL WEST

1. Dodgers
  2. Padres
  3. Diamondbacks
  4. Giants
  5. Rockies

Post trading deadline on standings compared to those preseason predictions

1. Red Sox - Jussst a little bit outside
  2. Rays - Part of me is brilliant
  3. Yankees - Money can't buy everything
  4. Blue Jays - Would be 1 game out in NL East
  5. Orioles - Okay, this wasn't the hardest prediction to get right

1. White Sox - I may have predicted 2nd, but I meant first
  2.  Indians - To my credit, I did pick them to finish behind the Sox
  3. Tigers - I've not watched them since first week of season, but this one surprises me
  4. Royals - Taking credit for this pick is like bragging about hitting a 30 foot putt for triple bogey
  5. Twins - No team has screwed up my predictions more

1. Astros - They cheated
  2. A's - My favorite AL team needs to hold on to that playoff spot
  3. Mariners - I know absolutely nothing about this team beyond that they play in Seattle
  4. Angels - Injuries are robbing Mike Trout of his prime
  5. Rangers - See Orioles comment

1. Mets - Would be in 4th place in 3 other divisions
  2. Phillies - So what if I picked them 5th.  2 and 5 are both prime numbers
  3. Braves - Home of the Brave is obviously not at the top this season
  4. Nationals - Win a World Series and blow up the team 2 years later.  Welcome to pro sports
  5. Marlins - They have a better run differential than the Mets

1. Brewers - I told you all about this back in March
  2. Reds - Would be 27 games in front of division with a decent bullpen
  3. Cardinals - As long as they can smell the Reds ass, I am happy
  4. Cubs - Let's see what the fighting Happs can do the rest of the season
  5. Pirates - See Orioles.  Or, if you don't want to go that far back, see Rangers

1. Giants - So this is where all the former Reds pitchers hang out
  2. Dodgers - I really like Scherzer, but I loathe the Dodgers.  Max, you are dead to me
  3. Padres - That image you see in your Wild Card rear view.  It's Red, and it's a machine
  4. Rockies - Life in the NL West 2 miles behind first, but a mile ahead of last
  5. Diamondbacks - Do not look to see where I predicted them.  Please do not look.  Oh, crap, you looked.

Conclusion - My predictions suck.  But, life is still good as long as the Cards are behind the Reds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rico said:

I can't see the article?

Patrick Wisdom is a building block??  🙄

Well the Mets scored a run to tie the game and now going to the 10th.  Bell puts in Hembree and walked the first guy and a wild pitch got him to second.  Struck out the next two then Bell brings in Doolittle to face a LH hitter who is the best KJ against a lefty pitcher.  Doolittle gave up a single to tie the game.  Why trade for 3 new relievers not to use them.  Those three had put pitched 4 scoreless innings but he brings in the old guys who hasn't got tn job done

Bullpen blew another game.  Lorenzen pitched a dominant 8th inning on only 12 pitches and should have given him a shot the 9th inning.  Mets bullpen with no runs in 5 innings and the Reds bullpen 2 runs in 3 innings.  Reds was up 4-1 going to the 6th but could never put add on runs on the board.

• Sad 1

Even thought the 3 guys they got on trades are an upgrade but none are a dominant closer.  They have no closer on this team and why I wished they would have tried for Kimbrel. They have really no shot to put a sustain streak together to get back in the race because of the bullpen. They had a chance to ight to make up ground on the Brewers.  Also the last time I checked the Padres was losing so we could have gotten within 3 games of the wild card.

55 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Even thought the 3 guys they got on trades are an upgrade but none are a dominant closer.  

Time will tell how it turns out, but those trades made me think of the ‘97 Mariners. Their bullpen was atrocious and they decide to go for broke. All prospects on the table. Did they go after White Sox all star closer Roberto Hernandez? Maybe serviceable reliever Steve Klein from Cleveland? No, of course not. They get Mike Timlin (a decent throw in), Paul Spoljarik and Heathcliff Slocumb. *sigh*

And all they gave up were Jose Cruz, who wound up with a decent career but was probably the hottest OF prospect that deadline, and a couple of guys named Lowe and Varitek that did a couple things in Boston. Oops.