2021 MLB Season

5fouls

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought going into this 7 game road trip the Reds that they needed to go 5-2 but that seems very unlikely.  With the Brewers playing the Cubs and Pirates I thought the Reds couldn't slip up this week

Quality teams on the road.  It is what it is.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Well then those two need to fix Amir from what the previous regime did.  

I think Amir is what he is. He's an average reliever who's having a bad year. He had a 3.21 ERA two years ago and a 2.45 ERA last year. He's fine as one of your last arms in the bullpen but not as a set up guy or closer. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I think Amir is what he is. He's an average reliever who's having a bad year. He had a 3.21 ERA two years ago and a 2.45 ERA last year. He's fine as one of your last arms in the bullpen but not as a set up guy or closer. 

He was a starter his entire minor league career.  He sucked in that role for exactly 16 games as a Reds starter.  Reds' mindset?  Let's make him a set-up guy.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I always thought Garrett was over rated because he was never consistent.  He would usually start out well then fade in the second half of the season.

I really don't want to jinx the organization because the homegrown pitching looks fabulous right now.  But the history has taught me that Cincy doesn't produce arms very well and more often than not when they do they ship them off.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

He was a starter his entire minor league career.  He sucked in that role for exactly 16 games as a Reds starter.  Reds' mindset?  Let's make him a set-up guy.

That's not uncommon. I prefer pitchers to develop as starters then when they get close to the big leagues then move them to the bullpen. Typically because a guy only has a couple of pitches which doesn't work as a starter. That's why Garrett is a reliever he only has 2 pitches. Fastball and slider. He's been effective in the past. He's had some stretches this year when he's been alright. That said Bell just isn't smart about when to use him. Last night was another example of that. 

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That's not uncommon. I prefer pitchers to develop as starters then when they get close to the big leagues then move them to the bullpen. Typically because a guy only has a couple of pitches which doesn't work as a starter. That's why Garrett is a reliever he only has 2 pitches. Fastball and slider. He's been effective in the past. He's had some stretches this year when he's been alright. That said Bell just isn't smart about when to use him. Last night was another example of that. 

WTF?  I don't need an explanation of the nuances of the game.  I am emphatically saying the Reds whiffed on any potential, if any, the kid had.

1 minute ago, rico said:

WTF?  I don't need an explanation of the nuances of the game.  I am emphatically saying the Reds whiffed on any potential, if any, the kid had.

Maybe you're right but I don't see it that way with him. There were other cases in the Reds past that was the case with. I think his problem is more mental than anything physical.  

Reds down 5-0 in the 4th.  I told you that this was going to be a make or break road trip and it is definitely breaking it.  Reds played great for 3 weeks but only gained two games in the standings but it is going to take the 3 days to lose 3 games in the standings.

There offense has been asleep the lady 4 games and it is obvious they can't hit in Atlanta.  I think the hot streak was made against bad teams and now they .are playing good teams it shows they can't compete.

I am done trying to figure out how Bell thinks when it comes to handling pitching.  Let Castillo stay in to give up 8 runs and tonight Miley is still in after giving up 5 runs on 3 innings.  Last night he took out Gray after 5 and only 2 runs.

Well the Reds made a great comeback and took a 6-5 lead in the 11th.  Simms got the first two out but then walked the next batter.  It brought up the top of their lineup with Albies who hit a 3 run homer to win the game.  Walks had totally killed the bullpen all year and it came back to bite them in the ass tonight.

Last night Brantley was going off on how the management has to overhaul the bullpen in the off season.  I see two major differences between the Reds and Brewers and one is bullpen and the other is the manager/front office.

Edited by IU Scott

One more Cubs stat. Since our no hitter they've gone 10-31 which is the equivalent of winning 39 games in a 162 game season. That's how bad they've been. 2 friends with upper deck season tickets for years can't give their tickets away. 

I'm sad we were right earlier this season when we Cubs fans said anyone finishing behind us this year in the central not named the Pirates should reevaluate their entire organization/fandom. Haha. 

Feel for Jake. Just losing his stuff. It's like that rapid fall off for a RB in the NFL who loses that .2 seconds of speed.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

One more Cubs stat. Since our no hitter they've gone 10-31 which is the equivalent of winning 39 games in a 162 game season. That's how bad they've been. 2 friends with upper deck season tickets for years can't give their tickets away. 

I'm sad we were right earlier this season when we Cubs fans said anyone finishing behind us this year in the central not named the Pirates should reevaluate their entire organization/fandom. Haha. 

Feel for Jake. Just losing his stuff. It's like that rapid fall off for a RB in the NFL who loses that .2 seconds of speed.

The way things look concerning the division, you Cub fans better get used to finishing 4th for few years.  Of course you could make a big splash in free agency?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rico said:

The way things look concerning the division, you Cub fans better get used to finishing 4th for few years.  Of course you could make a big splash in free agency?

Yep! I'm fine with that as long as I know we are progressing towards something. Not just waffling into the playoffs each year and losing like we have been for a few years. 

All ready for the next chapter and hopefully Ricketts will open up the purse again and spend this off season. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep! I'm fine with that as long as I know we are progressing towards something. Not just waffling into the playoffs each year and losing like we have been for a few years. 

All ready for the next chapter and hopefully Ricketts will open up the purse again and spend this off season. 

Personally, I am just darn old to be watching rebuilds.  At least I know I don't have the patience for it anymore.  LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Personally, I am just darn old to be watching rebuilds.  At least I know I don't have the patience for it anymore.  LOL

Handled correctly we could be targeting 2023 season as making the next push. Although if we spend big time it could be a outside chance at wild card maybe next year. All depends on Ricketts. Nobody else. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Handled correctly we could be targeting 2023 season as making the next push. Although if we spend big time it could be a outside chance at wild card maybe next year. All depends on Ricketts. Nobody else. 

I will have to start paying a little more attention to the upcoming FA market.

• Like 1